Official Owners Thread : TQKA 20,000 mAh LiFePO4 Battery

Submariner Gold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Vicovation MF3
Just thought it might be useful, as their are not many of us with this power pack, to have a dedicated thread
With pertinent info such as:-

1. Hardwired to ign. Via dedicated 12V USB Power charger dual Port. Dual 5V 3.1A total 5V 6.2A output.
2.Camera: Vicovation MF3 current draw in camera mode 0.5A
Camera Connection 4M JuicEbitz 20AWG USB cable to Micro B.
3. January 2018 ... no faults on delivery.
Still Running fine
4. Car Ign. acc shuts down with the engine, once the door is opened. So a slight delay.

Last edited:
Re
QUOTE="dzal67, post: 388302, member: 45195"]I just purchased Tqka 20000mA battery pack and it cannot be used how I planed. Problem is that once pack is disconnected from charger, it won't start charging device connected to it until ON button is pressed. My other, smaller pack does it automatically: once power to bank is turned off it starts powering device connected to it.[/QUOTE]

Initially I wanted to use this as a quaisi USP.
I.e.
12V Car ign switch with a 4Amp fuse, connceted to dedicated 12V dual USB 3.1A per port (total 5V 6.2A) charging port. USB Charging Port1 Connected to TQKA Input Micro B . Left permenantly connected.
TQKA Output 1 connected to Front Camera.

The concept being when the car runs it charges the Battery pack, and runs the camera, when the car stops, the battery takes over, albeit until it runs flat ( then camera self powers off )
Never drains the car battery.
In the absence of official documentation saying this supports “Power through” I did not dare do that.

But did you try anything like the above, I was not brave enough?

I have this power bank, two in fact. I've found them very good. The battery type is safer and more suited to sitting in a car with hot and cold temperatures.
I would be interested in a set up where the car charges the bank while driving and then the bank takes over powering the dashcam while the engine is off. But at the moment I am just charging one power bank from the mains while the other is in the car powering the dashcam. So the cam is 100% powered direct from the power bank. When it runs low I swap it for the fully charged one. They charge pretty fast up to 96% then the last 4% takes quite a while. I can also swap the cam into the 12v socket if I want for longer journeys to save the power bank but I mainly drive locally.

I have this power bank, two in fact. I've found them very good. The battery type is safer and more suited to sitting in a car with hot and cold temperatures.
I would be interested in a set up where the car charges the bank while driving and then the bank takes over powering the dashcam while the engine is off. But at the moment I am just charging one power bank from the mains while the other is in the car powering the dashcam. So the cam is 100% powered direct from the power bank. When it runs low I swap it for the fully charged one. They charge pretty fast up to 96% then the last 4% takes quite a while. I can also swap the cam into the 12v socket if I want for longer journeys to save the power bank but I mainly drive locally.

Hi CharlieGirl,
Thanks for posting, always useful to know others with somewhat obscure kit.
Yes they are considerably safer, and usually a lot more expensive.
I too had heard they are heavier. And boy this one is heavy, but for my purposes i.e in car use, “all to the good” :)

You me and the world would like that. :)

I am still waiting to hear from the mfg. ; if they put in the circuitry to allow one to charge and draw power at the same time i.e when the car is on, it powers both the battery and the camera, so not depleting the battery; and then acting like a computer Uninteruptable Power Supply, lets the battery power the camera on its own, when the car is off.
I know, that without the special circuitry, its seriously danagerous to do that. However I don't hold out much hope.

But I am hoping to find, that if power is drawn from the Battery output , that then the battery charge circuit switches off, and needs pressing the ‘on button’ to reactivate the charging cycle.
Then I could leave my charge cable in situ, when I am driving.

Atm the nearest I can safely get to your dream, is that dual, custom installed USB charging port runs the camera from one output when the ign. is turned on, and also charges the battery from the other output at the same time (see the short cable below).
So at least the battery is always fully topped up.
F2E806C7-27DE-4957-92A9-9F9F04219211.jpeg
It does however require physically unplugging my USB cable to the camera, from the USB charging port, and then inserting it into one of the Taka’s Battery Outputs if I need to power the camera in Parking mode!

Sadly until I get confirmation, I also need to unplug the cable from the USB charger to the battery input.
Not ideal, but I only need to take the battery inside to recharge it, if its had a lot of use and not much driving. . This USB charger does output up to 3.1A on both ports together being a total output of 6.2Amps.

Just tested it runs the camera at 0.5A and also charges the Battery at 2As. At the same time.

I did find a USB switch, really for sharing a periferal with 2 computers ... that could have been a nice option, not perfect.
But for me, like you with mainly local trips; pressing just one button to switch between car ign. powered or the TQKA would have been OK .
sadly the seller came back and said it wouldnt pass more than 0.5A, as it was USB 2.0 and really designed for passing date.
Being me I asked the supplier if they could make one that carried through higher power like 1.5 Amps and that would help the dashcam users and allow people with 2 computers to share an SSD disc ... no reply yet!

Not a totally beautiful install, :) but at least I dont have to leave the ‘non smoker pack” storage area open like this and have cigarlighter stub and wire hanging out.
F0F86DB4-0740-4983-86C5-12DB70D7DB0E.jpeg
So it now looks a bit better
63C7A596-A34F-433C-BC38-B51ED823DFE2.jpeg

Last edited:
CharlieGirl

I have the same bank powering my A119 no problem for the last week or so, no problems.
It is very heavy which I took as a sort of confirmation that it is LiFePO4 as claimed.
I read some reviews where someone said the two USB output ports were different with their iPhone only charging off one of them (can't recall if inner or outer) so might be worth comparing the two ports to see if there is a difference or not?”

I just checked ok with a crappy cheap USB meter with the TQKa at 100%.
Both ports showed 4.75V and 0.98A. On an iphone 6S Plus at 30% charged.
Hmmm was surprised it was at 4.75V but then the usb standard allows it to go down to 4.40V

It's not like I really needed another power bank but I was intrigued enough by the prospect of a high capacity lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) bank to go and buy a TQKA, especially at the modest $22 USD (£15.54) price they are on offer for. I own a few lithium-ion banks, a lithium polymer bank and I figured why not add a lithium iron phosphate to the collection? So now I own the Holy Trinity of Power Banks? :smuggrin:

Firstly, I'm convinced that the TQKA is indeed a lithium iron phosphate battery bank. The reason is its sheer size and weight. The thing is quite large and significantly heavier than any of the other lithium-ion 20,000 mAh power banks I've had personal experience with and I've owned five of them and handled others. I compared its weight to two li-ion banks with similar capacity ratings, an older generic 20,000mAh lithium-ion and the Sentey BrioLux LS-2186 20800mAh lithium-ion. The generic weighs in at 14.6 ounces or 414 grams; the Sentey weighs in at 15.6 ounces or 442 grams while the TQKA clocks in at a whopping 1 pound, 9.4 ounces or 720 grams! And while it is similar in length it is much bigger in girth than the others.

One of the hallmarks of lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries is that they have far less energy density when compared with the lithium-ion (lithium cobalt oxide - LiCoO2) cells used in typical battery banks. So for this reason, I've concluded that it makes perfect sense that a 20,000 mAh LiFePO4 power bank would weigh so much more than a LiCoO2 power bank of the same capacity and that it would also be larger in size and this seems to confirm that it is what is says is it. I suppose it's also conceivable that the iron component of a lithium iron phosphate battery is contributing to the heavier weight of the cells but that's just mere conjecture.

OK, so when my TQKA power bank first arrived it had a charge of 75%. The first time I used it I was astonished at how quickly the charge depleted. It's my usual practice to simultaneously run two dash cams in my vehicle with power banks and so I preceded to do so with the TQKA on it's initial 75% charge. As I drove, I watched in amazement as the bank dropped from 75% charge down to 43% charge within about twenty minutes! Nevertheless, it turned out there was nothing whatsoever wrong with this power bank as I will explain.

One of the things I've come to learn about lithium based batteries is that they are a bit like muscles in the sense that they need periodic exercise, especially when new or when in storage for long periods of time. The first lithium-ion power bank I purchased four years ago came with a little card in the package that recommended that the bank be run down completely and then fully charged three times before one could expect full performance out of it. I've seen several other references to this phenomenon on several battery related resources on the internet as well. So, I more or less followed this recommendation (for the first two charges) and indeed I noticed that its capacity to hold a charge improved dramatically over the first time I used it. And so, when the TQKA lost so much capacity so quickly after it first arrived at 75% charge I drained it down almost all the way (5%) and then gave it a full charge on a 2 amp charger. There was an immediate and dramatic improvement after doing this and a further improvement after the second full charge. Now it performs quite well and runs many, many hours operating two dash cams simultaneously as one would expect with a bank of this capacity. I suspect that many of the complaints and poor reviews I've seen on Amazon about brand new power banks not holding a charge might have been avoided if the buyers had engaged in breaking in the cells adequately. This is a practice that is otherwise known as "battery cell forming". At this point I expect that the TQKA should provide years of good service and from what I understand about LiFePO4 batteries, should last much longer that a typical LiCoO2 power bank, especially if you engage in good charging practices and avoid stressing the power bank as much as possible in terms of excessive heat, cold, vibration or shock.

Generally speaking, lithium batteries do not like being fully depleted and you will get much longer life out of them if you keep them topped off and avoid deep discharges. Deeply discharging of lithium batteries is OK periodically but should generally be avoided. So, the above recommendation to drain the bank fully should only be undertaken when the battery bank is new. Then again, I'm still learning about LiFePO4 batteries and for now I don't know for sure if they tolerate deep discharges better or worse than LiCoO2 cells, so for now at least I'm continuing to follow the practices I use with li-ion cells until I have clarification on this. I do know that lithium batteries are rated for number of charge/discharge cycles and keeping them topped off avoids a full "cycle" so to speak.

The TQKA power bank has what I consider to be two major design flaws, one quite serious and one merely annoying.

As I mentioned, I've owned five other power banks going back four years now and I've had the opportunity to handle and examine several others. In each and every case, all these power banks have ON/OFF switches that are flush with the surface of the bank's housing or slightly recessed. In each case, it is quite clear that these banks are designed so that they are difficult to turn on accidentally. They all require an intentional decision to switch them on or off as they require a distinct amount of pressure on the switch and in some cases the switch must be pressed for a second or two to activate the bank. The TQKA, on the other hand, is the ONLY power bank I've encountered with a protruding power button and only the slightest momentary pressure on the button switches on the current. I consider this to be a significant safety issue! This is a powerful, energy dense device that could easily be switched on with the slightest bump up against something, especially inside a moving vehicle. The notion that this battery could switch on devices accidentally or more importantly could cause a short circuit if something were to come into contact with the ports is a serious issue that even made me consider returning it. I knew before I purchased it that it had a protruding on/off button but I never imagined that it would be designed with such a hair trigger. Not good. :(

The other design flaw, the one I find annoying is the rather large LED numerical display. Every other power bank I've owned or tested has an illuminated charge status display or indicator lights that turns off after a few seconds. The ones with indicator lights that do stay on are fairly subtle and not terribly noticeable. For one thing, having an illuminated charge status display that turns off after a few seconds conserves power. For me, the primary issue here is stealth. I usually keep my power banks in a "cubby hole" that is part of my center console and just under the dash. The power banks are discrete and hard to notice and I like it that way. With the large bright red numerals on the TQKA glowing constantly in the dark, it easily draws attention from outside my vehicle, especially if I park somewhere at night and I question the wisdom of such a design. And as mentioned, the large constantly illuminated LED display is also an unnecessary parasitic load on the battery, even more so than the liquid crystal type usually seen on battery banks. All the other power banks with a numerical display that I am familiar with switch off after a few seconds. Again, I considered returning this power bank for a refund because of this but decided to keep it and find a work around for the sake of testing out a LiFePO4 power bank since this appears to be the only one on the market so far.

So, I think this is an interesting, worthwhile product and as someone who likes to run dash cam with power banks, even on hot summer days, I think this will be a useful device but I do wish the engineers had thought through some of these issues a bit better.

Last edited:
Of the power banks I have to hand, only my Ravpower turns off its lights AND has a (slightly) recessed button. My Anker has subtle white lights in a circle, but the button is exposed.

In the Tqka's defence, a long press will not turn it on. In fact that will always ensure it is off. Also if a USB plug is in it, that will shield the button to some extent.
The display will be hidden by using the supplied cloth bag if heat isn't a concern, or you could use the old electrical tape fix.

A perfect solution would be a cap that slips over the end, covering the display and button (or simply making it recessed through a small hole) but with holes for the ports. A bit like those slide on flashgun diffusers. If only I had a 3D printer.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If you have to tape over the bright LED display or fashion a cover, then there's something deficient in the design. I'm not a fan of keeping power banks inside a cloth bag in a hot car either. I'd rather allow air to circulate. I can see where a plugged in device would protect the button from getting hit but often when I carry the TQKA out to my vehicle in a tote bag I discover that it has managed to turn itself on during the trip from my house to my vehicle. That's a safety concern in my book. No other power bank I own has ever turned itself on unless I did so intentionally.

It's not like I really needed another power bank but I was intrigued enough by the prospect of a high capacity lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) bank to go and buy a TQKA, especially at the modest $22 USD (£15.54) price they are on offer for. I own a few lithium-ion banks, a lithium polymer bank and I figured why not add a lithium iron phosphate to the collection? So now I own Holy Trinity of Power Banks? :smuggrin:

Firstly, I'm convinced that the TQKA is indeed a lithium iron phosphate battery bank. The reason is its sheer size and weight. The thing is quite large and significantly heavier than any of the other lithium-ion 20,000 mAh power banks I've had personal experience with and I've owned five of them and handled others. I compared its weight to two li-ion banks with similar capacity ratings, an older generic 20,000mAh lithium-ion and the Sentey BrioLux LS-2186 20800mAh lithium-ion. The generic weighs in at 14.6 ounces or 414 grams; the Sentey weighs in at 15.6 ounces or 442 grams while the TQKA clocks in at a whopping 1 pound, 9.4 ounces or 720 grams! And while it is similar in length it is much bigger in girth than the others.

One of the hallmarks of lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries is that they have far less energy density when compared with the lithium-ion (lithium cobalt oxide - LiCoO2) cells used in typical battery banks. So for this reason, I've concluded that it makes perfect sense that a 20,000 mAh LiFePO4 power bank would weigh so much more than a LiCoO2 power bank of the same capacity and that it would also be larger in size and this seems to confirm that it is what is says is it. I suppose it's also conceivable that the iron component of a lithium iron phosphate battery is contributing to the heavier weight of the cells but that's just mere conjecture.

OK, so when my TQKA power bank first arrived it had a charge of 75%. The first time I used it I was astonished at how quickly the charge depleted. It's my usual practice to simultaneously run two dash cams in my vehicle with power banks and so I preceded to do so with the TQKA on it's initial 75% charge. As I drove, I watched in amazement as the bank dropped from 75% charge down to 43% charge within about twenty minutes! Nevertheless, it turned out there was nothing whatsoever wrong with this power bank as I will explain.

One of the things I've come to learn about lithium based batteries is that they are a bit like muscles in the sense that they need periodic exercise, especially when new or when in storage for long periods of time. The first lithium-ion power bank I purchased four years ago came with a little card in the package that recommended that the bank be run down completely and then fully charged three times before one could expect full performance out of it. I've seen several other references to this phenomenon on several battery related resources on the internet as well. So, I more or less followed this recommendation (for the first two charges) and indeed I noticed that its capacity to hold a charge improved dramatically over the first time I used it. And so, when the TQKA lost so much capacity so quickly after it first arrived at 75% charge I drained it down almost all the way (5%) and then gave it a full charge on a 2 amp charger. There was an immediate and dramatic improvement after doing this and a further improvement after the second full charge. Now it performs quite well and runs many, many hours operating two dash cams simultaneously as one would expect with a bank of this capacity. I suspect that many of the complaints and poor reviews I've seen on Amazon about brand new power banks not holding a charge might have been avoided if the buyers had engaged in breaking in the cells adequately. This is a practice that is otherwise known as "battery cell forming". At this point I expect that the TQKA should provide years of good service and from what I understand about LiFePO4 batteries, should last much longer that a typical LiCoO2 power bank, especially if you engage in good charging practices and avoid stressing the power bank as much as possible in terms of excessive heat, cold, vibration or shock.

Generally speaking, lithium batteries do not like being fully depleted and you will get much longer life out of them if you keep them topped off and avoid deep discharges. Deeply discharging of lithium batteries is OK periodically but should generally be avoided. So, the above recommendation to drain the bank fully should only be undertaken when the battery bank is new. Then again, I'm still learning about LiFePO4 batteries and for now I don't know for sure if they tolerate deep discharges better or worse than LiCoO2 cells, so for now at least I'm continuing to follow the practices I use with li-ion cells until I have clarification on this. I do know that lithium batteries are rated for number of charge/discharge cycles and keeping them topped off avoids a full "cycle" so to speak.

TQKA power bank has what I consider to be two major design flaws, one quite serious and one merely annoying.

As I mentioned, I've owned five other power banks going back four years now and I've had the opportunity to handle and examine several others. In each and every case, all these power banks have ON/OFF switches that are flush with the surface of the bank's housing or slightly recessed. In each case, it is quite clear that these banks are designed so that they are difficult to turn on accidentally. They all require an intentional decision to switch them on or off as they require a distinct amount of pressure on the switch and in some cases the switch must be pressed for a second or two to activate the bank. The TQKA, on the other hand, is the ONLY power bank I've encountered with a protruding power button and only the slightest momentary pressure on the button switches on the current. I consider this to be a significant safety issue! This is a powerful, energy dense device that could easily be switched on with the slightest bump up against something, especially inside a moving vehicle. The notion that this battery could switch on devices accidentally or more importantly could cause a short circuit if something were to come into contact with the ports is a serious issue that even made me consider returning it. I knew before I purchased it that it had a protruding on/off button but I never imagined that it would be designed with such a hair trigger. Not good. :(

The other design flaw, the one I find annoying is the LED numerical display. Every other power bank I've owned or tested has indicator lights or an illuminated charge status display that turns off after a few seconds. For one thing, this conserves power. For me, the issue is stealth. I usually keep my power banks in a "cubby hole" that is part of my center console and just under the dash. The power banks are discrete and hard to notice and I like it that way. With the large red numerals on the TQKA glowing constantly in the dark, it draws attention, especially if I park somewhere at night and I question the wisdom of such a design. The large LED display is also an unnecessary parasitic load on the battery. Again, I considered returning this power bank for a refund because of this but decided to keep it and find a work around for the sake of testing out a LiFePO4 power bank.

So, I think this is an interesting product and as someone who likes to run dash cam with power banks, even on hot summer days, I think this will be a useful device but I do wish the engineers had thought through some of these issues a bit better.

Thanks for the detailed an informative update :)
I didnt think about the power switch issue, ideally I like positve rocker switches somu know where you are.
Having 2 extremely stout 20AWG usb cables in it, does sheild the accidental turn on when in use but not when its sitting idle.
Originally my idea was to charge the unit when not in Parking mode. But the second rear dashcam has used the spare USab port ... so its down to home recharging.

I've got a piece of portable Ham gear that is well-known for it's unwanted switch operation which will eat up your 10 AA cells before you know it :mad: Many fixes exist but the simplest one (which I use) is to glue a small ring around the darned switch so that only a fingertip can get to it:cool: I used a short bronze bushing I had laying around but anything like that will work- PVC pipe, cut-off plastic bottle caps, a metal nut, or whatever. This trick should work equally well here too (y)

Phil

I've got a piece of portable Ham gear that is well-known for it's unwanted switch operation which will eat up your 10 AA cells before you know it :mad: Many fixes exist but the simplest one (which I use) is to glue a small ring around the darned switch so that only a fingertip can get to it:cool: I used a short bronze bushing I had laying around but anything like that will work- PVC pipe, cut-off plastic bottle caps, a metal nut, or whatever. This trick should work equally well here too (y)

Phil

That's a good idea! I have some big fat rubber O-rings that would work perfectly for this purpose.

Phil

Phil
Smart solution.
It is weird that a single light touch turns it on, yet I have to hold it down for 1 or 2 seconds to turn it off.
Strange that was not the reverse ... i.e. a safer system.

Smart solution.
It is weird that a single light touch turns it on, yet I have to hold it down for 1 or 2 seconds to turn it off.
Strange that was not the reverse ... i.e. a safer system.

perhaps they don't see any danger in it being turned on accidentally but have considered the possible inconvenience of it being turned off by accident

perhaps they don't see any danger in it being turned on accidentally but have considered the possible inconvenience of it being turned off by accident

Gosh, I would sure hate to have the TQKA accidentally short out on one of the hand grenades I carry around in my tote bag in case of an emergency. Now THAT would be inconvenient! :smuggrin:

The Sentey Brio Lux I mentioned above, rated at 20,800 mAh has a very small power switch that is flush with the housing of the bank. It requires a distinct intentional press to the button to turn it ON AND OFF and this makes for a much safer design.

The 20,000 mAh PowerAdd Power PilotPlus I own is essentially the same. In both cases, the switch is not only flush with the surface but is quite small so that it presents a smaller target to whatever it may bump up against. This too seems to make for a much safer design. The TQKA switch doesn't protrude by much, perhaps about a millimeter but with its hair trigger and large size, the slightest bump against an object turns the device on. Another factor is that unlike the others, the TQKA has a metal housing so I suppose it's "possible" that there is a greater risk of a short-circuit with a foreign object coming into contact with an energized port, especially if the anodizing were to become abraded.

Sentey
sentey_brio.jpg
PowerAdd
PowerPilotplus.jpg TQKA.jpg

Last edited:
I have a couple of MI powerbanks and the design is much the same and it's very easy to turn them on, not sure how unsafe they are but none of my hand grenades have gone off so far :D

BTW, I forgot to mention another one of my minor criticisms about the TQKA. Both USB ports are labeled 3.1 amps. That's misleading and not really true. Most power banks with two ports have a 2.1 amp USB port and a 1 amp port totaling 3.1 amps.
If I understand correctly, the TQKA has a unique feature where it will provide more or less current to one port or the other as required up to 3.1 amps, depending upon the load to the other port. It seems to me that labeling both ports 3.1 amps falsely implies that you've got a 6.2 amp capable power bank and that's obviously not true. While many of us would be aware of how these things function, many buyers could be be mislead by this. I feel they should have designated the ports as "up to 3.1 amps total".

Last edited:
Not one of my power banks has delivered anywhere near the maximum output current claimed. I have put this down to the negotiation between power bank and the phones.

But my latest test rig is a chopped off USB cable connecting + and - wires across a resistor. I'll see what I can get out of it.

P. S. Latest 2 tests delivered 49Watt hours and 51 Wh from the Tqka. I don't know if the low overnight house temperature during the discharge tests (under 10C!) played a part in that being lower than the 64Wh claimed. Charging took place in a warmer room.

I connected a 2 ohm 50W resistor across the Tqka's output. It gave 1.925A at 3.85V.

So I think the odds of getting 3.1A out of even a single port are slim, and god knows how low the voltage would drop if you did. I don't think I'll try a 1 ohm load, I like it too much to risk a destruction test.

I have no idea how this compares to other power banks (yet.)

BTW, I forgot to mention another one of my minor criticisms about the TQKA. Both USB ports are labeled 3.1 amps. That's misleading and not really true. Most power banks with two ports have a 2.1 amp USB port and a 1 amp port totaling 3.1 amps.
If I understand correctly, the TQKA has a unique feature where it will provide more or less current to one port or the other as required up to 3.1 amps, depending upon the load to the other port. It seems to me that labeling both ports 3.1 amps falsely implies that you've got a 6.2 amp capable power bank and that's obviously not true. While many of us would be aware of how these things function, many buyers could be be mislead by this. I feel they should have designated the ports as "up to 3.1 amps total".

I would agree this diagram is misleading, ( without declaring any limitations )
30E996B1-9307-40F1-9617-59DF3CB2A198.jpeg
As a layman I would assume it delivered up to 6.2A

Left this one fully charged up a week ago.
Just went back and its still at 100%.
Pretty pleased with this purchase for £20 :)

Oddly they stopped selling them in the UK ??

Back