Ok, this is ridiculous

fishbert

Reaction score
Country
United States
qY38bJlh.png

100% crop:
QFWRoMK.png

What is ridiculous? Arizona? License plate?

Well its either a problem with your camera or the naff number plates, the french number plates are clear in all three lanes in daylight conditions on the motorway and in the night time they are visible directly in front and the other two lanes at a stop. Hope you manage to resolve the problem, bear in mind some people use plates that are designed to stop speed cameras from identifying the number plate. Illegal but not unheard of.

half a dozen, we'd have 50 plus different types of plates in Australia, there's a ridiculous amount of options

From the snapshots it appears that lighting conditions are not the greatest. The sun appears to be straight ahead so the camera is adjusting for all that light and the license plate is in the shaded area. Can you post a snapshot in other lighting conditions when you are that distance from a vehicle (cloudy day, sun behind you)? If it is always that poor there is likely something wrong with the camera.

If you look closely, the Cadillac has some kind of photo-radar defeating plastic license plate cover. Prismatic or polarized etc.
The Lukas cam must have the CPL filter on it, if polarization blocked the plate number. That's what I figure is going on. Some interesting cam blocking stuff here:
http://radartest.com/Red-Light-Camera-Countermeasures-Test.asp

Have you tried going full screen? I find that the plates become very clear then.

PS It could also be bounce-back lighting from your camera picking up too much glare from your hood. Try raising the camera so only a very small portion of your hood shows, and switching to full screen. Also, it appears you have a sportscar ?? what is your setting for elevation: low, sedan, or suv?

Looks to me it could be the dreaded focus adjustment - the windshield wipers a few inches away and washer nozzles 12" in front of the camera are in focus, everything beyond that is slightly out of focus. I'm dealing with Lukas for my LK-7500. I've sent screenshots to Lukas showing perfect focus up to 2 meters from lens, fuzzy beyond that. It is rather sad that my $50 Chinese cam is out performing the Lukas at 4 times the price. And yes, I have side by side shots showing a license plate about 5 car lengths ahead - easily readable on the Chinese cam (G1W) and unreadable on the LK-7500.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm 100% positive there is a focus issue. Is Lukas working on it? Can it be fixed in a new firmware? The camera should be set to focus on the center of the lense. Not anywhere around the edges. I wonder if I should adjust the camera so that it doesn't show the dashboard or hood, but then I will get too much light from the sky though. :(

I understand that the focus itself is hardware, but for instance on a iPhone you can change the focus by pressing on the display where you want the focus to be. It must be some software algoritm controlling the focus? I guess the Lukas has some sort of software autofocus algoritm?

You can change focus only by manually twisting the lens after disassemlbing the camera.

I always said wide lens are bad.
But good for dashcam sales.

enjoy,
Mtz

I'm just wondering is it possible to change the focus on 7900? I'm also blaming my camera to be out of focus.

I did hear back from Lukas:
----------
Thank you for sending the screenshot but according to it, the focus looks normal.
Average distance of identification for normal dashcam is about 3 meters. Therefore the objects located at certain distance away, it could look as if it’s out of focus.
I’m wondering if you have changed any image settings on Lukas viewer?
----------
So they are saying the cam should be set to perfect focus at 3 meters, with things a bit closer or farther away being 'acceptable' focus. I'm not buying it, next step will be disassembly! Can't wait! Of course I've tried every setting possible.

You can change focus only by manually twisting the lens after disassemlbing the camera.

I always said wide lens are bad.
But good for dashcam sales.

enjoy,
Mtz

Is this true for the Lukas 7900? The lens is twist-able if you open it up? ... Has anyone disassembled a 7900 yet?

Very interested to try this, but would like to collect whatever info is out there first.

Hi

I have complained about LK7900 focus in other posts.

Like (many) other lk7900 users, my camera is set to focus on the wiper blades, (extremely clear) and anything else on the road is out of focus.

I too, would be interested in knowing how to dissemble and adjust the focus.

Has anyone got inside an LK7900 yet?

regards

Patrick

Ok, after checking other dashcams, I switched to DOD LS430W.
Quality, especially at night, is much better than what i had on my LK7900.
reading of plates is also better, but not ideal :)

this is wat happens with these dashcam . Most of these popular brands have spent more money on marketing for dashboard camera s than on quality. An average camera does the same job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back