Ok to cut off the cigarette lighter plug end and use the rest as a DC/DC converter?

I will correct my friend.

"a good installer should do it correctly"

A good installer will do it correctly. A bad installer is a bad installer. But this stuff isn’t rocket science. I just DIY all of it, but there are lots of people out there who don’t feel comfortable with it. If that’s you, there’s no shame. Either learn and figure out what’s involved (super simple but does require a basic understanding of a few different areas and a couple inexpensive tools like a multimeter and a google searching) or else take it to someone to do it for you and shell out a few bucks for it.

if he doesn't do it correctly, then he's not a good installer ;)
Absolutely right,but how do you know how good the installer you choose is a good installer.
As is said,this is not rocket science and can easily be handled by a good DIY person, and now the OP has started and read this thread he should be aware of the problems that face him.

I ran wires to my aftermarket car radio for a power outlet. My cigarette lighter is always on.
The right wire going to the radio is switched. Now my dash cam is switched. It was not difficult.

Usually I bought a separate 12 volt to 5 volt DC/DC converter because I don't want to have something plugged into my cigarette lighter.

Do any of you see any issues with cutting off the cigarette lighter plug end and hard wiring it into one of the 12 volt wiring that turns on when ignition is turned on?

Thanks
If you are unsure of what you are doing take the above advice on going to a professional place ( Do you have "Best Buy" in UK), some like BB have a life time guarantee for their dash cam wiring, that can be a big difference in case of a mishap, like buying a new car because yours has just burned up. Think about it.
BTW I suggested BB because they are a BIG electronics store here in the USA, their geek squad has to go to a BB school to learn the way things are done, so yes, they are experts:):cool:.

Last edited:
Car audio installers are usually a good bet.

Car audio installers are usually a good bet.

yep, they deal with removing interior trims on a regular basis, you can't learn everything from watching YouTube videos, there's as much bad info as there is good on YouTube, without experience it's not always easy to know which is which either

The stock power cable lasted the entirety of 30 minutes at my hands before getting voided of the warranty :)
IMG_20180706_142542.jpg

Yeah, that's fine.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Will warranty get voided by cutting the cigarette lighter plug to use it as the 12 to 5v converter?

I have few more questions from the drawing:
fuse.png
1: is the placement of the add-a-fuse in front of 12v to 5v ok? or do i have to put it after the converter?
2: where should i connect the ground wire? (chassis of the car?)

Ground goes to the car's metal body, preferably a factory ground point behind the lower trim panels.

before the converter or you'll fry the camera

there should be a factory ground point nearby the fuse panel, use that

just installed the camera but it kept turning off after the street guardian logo through tap a fuse. Power led is on. Any advice?

SD card in the camera ?

did you test it prior to cutting the plug off?

is the camera turning off, or the screen goes off immediately after the boot logo. any LED's still on?

Back