Okay swap cameras?

monologue

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Stupid question maybe, but is it okay to swap the front and rear camera? (So in other words: I want to place the rear camera on my front windshield, and the 'main' camera on the back).
Reason why I'm asking this is because I prefer to have the smaller camera on my front windshield as it takes less space. Another reason is because the video quality of my rear camera is noticeably better than the front camera. The front cam video quality is much too sharp. I'm now using the modified firmware with reduced sharpess which improves the quality, but the difference is still there.

I can not see any problems by you changing the cameras over, apart from not been able to get to the main camera menu as before when it would be in front of you? but to be honest the only time I touch my front camera is to take the card out to view footage that a need to put on my PC. but my rear camera is much poorer quality for some reason than my front so I'm sticking to the main unit in front of me for the time.

I can not see any problems by you changing the cameras over, apart from not been able to get to the main camera menu as before when it would be in front of you? but to be honest the only time I touch my front camera is to take the card out to view footage that a need to put on my PC. but my rear camera is much poorer quality for some reason than my front so I'm sticking to the main unit in front of me for the time.
Alright, thanks for your reply!
Yes, it's strange that some a129 dash cam sets have a noticeable quality difference between the front and rear cam. I would expect that the video quality of the front and rear cam is identical since they have the same sensor if I'm not mistaken.

By swapping the front & rear, are you planning on plugging in the power cable into the Rear camera? Wouldn't that cause an issue?

A few people have done this since the dual channel cameras became a thing, some have also done this for side use.
Only problem as i see it is getting power to the main unit in the back, and then when retrieving the memory card you have to go back there to get it.

By swapping the front & rear, are you planning on plugging in the power cable into the Rear camera? Wouldn't that cause an issue?
The rear camera has one input, he wants to place his front camera in the rear and then run cable to rear camera placed in front, I am sure this will work

Back