Old cell phones or new purpose built hardware?

techno550

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a couple of spare Motorola Droid phones that would possibly be usable as dash cams and would like to know how well that may (or may not) work. I already have them, they already have a camera, GPS, Bluetooth if I want car data, and wifi. Ideally it would be able to do looped recording, saved to SD card, and then dump to some location via wifi when in range of a network.

So to the questions.
Is there an app that already does this? I'm having a hard time finding feature lists for the various apps out there.
am I wasting my time? is there a better off-the-shelf solution dash cam wise?
thanks

A dedicated dash cam will perform much better than a repurposed phone and be more convenient and discreet but there are numerous dash cam apps available for Android and iOS.

A good place to start might be right here in this "Smartphones as Dash Cams Forum" where this subject has many discussions. Of course, you could also do a search for Android apps.

I had DailyRoads Voyager on my old phone before I bought the Mobius. It seemed to work OK but I didn't use it for any long journeys and it wasn't convenient as I was still using the phone as a phone IYSWIM.

Frank

Autoguard (can't record in background with free version), Autoboy and Dailyroads.
The latter two can record in background.
I preferred Autoboy.

Smartphones are not as wide so may not cover the sides too much.
Also, the battery gets horribly hot and may fail and shutdown the phone.
My Galaxy S2 became so hot that the battery died.

Hi. I had an old htc desire z. I loaded on autoguard free. I liked the app. But the down side was having to take it down every time I got out of the car. I liked the videos but missed some of the A pillars. Also the battery died due to the heat. About to order 2 cams for back and front. 400 euro burning a hole in my pocket.

Back