Old Shark GS508 Locked out after crash

Mart#1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Old Shark dash cam Model GS508 . I had a crash and can not find any files prior to or of the crash , only files after the crash about 5 minutes.
Any ideas of what to do ?
I pulled the card, and i can watch all the videos after the crash on my PC. I hook the camera to my PC and same thing. I see no files marked protected , locked or any other files period.
What the heck ? Thanks for any help..

I have a sneaky feeling just that little part of your memory card are working, so the camera have pretty much just been overwriting itself.
Strange though that there are no other files there, i would expect there to be some, that then should have been read only.
It could also be a cheap fake memory card, so what you got thinking it was 32 Gb well in truth its just 2 - 4 Gb
5 minutes of recording thats just 500 MB of space on the memory card.

Sadly it seem to be another proof that we need to keep a eye on our dashcam as often as possible.

The 5 minutes you do have, are they from immediately after the event and then 5 minutes after ?

If that camera ( which i am by no means familiar with ) only record at a sensor event due to thats how its made or maybe how you set it up, then it is still strange there are no other files cuz mostely dashcams seem to be hard to fine tune in regard to sensitivity of the G sensor and so most always get a lot of false event files created anyway.

For how long have you been running that camera / memory card ??

I have a Old Shark dash cam Model GS508 . I had a crash and can not find any files prior to or of the crash , only files after the crash about 5 minutes.
Any ideas of what to do ?
I pulled the card, and i can watch all the videos after the crash on my PC. I hook the camera to my PC and same thing. I see no files marked protected , locked or any other files period.
What the heck ? Thanks for any help..
What do you see if you check the card properties on your PC? Is the card 'full'? If so, file recovery software may be able to extract some files from the card.

I have a sneaky feeling just that little part of your memory card are working, so the camera have pretty much just been overwriting itself.
Strange though that there are no other files there, i would expect there to be some, that then should have been read only.
It could also be a cheap fake memory card, so what you got thinking it was 32 Gb well in truth its just 2 - 4 Gb
5 minutes of recording thats just 500 MB of space on the memory card.

Sadly it seem to be another proof that we need to keep a eye on our dashcam as often as possible.

The 5 minutes you do have, are they from immediately after the event and then 5 minutes after ?

If that camera ( which i am by no means familiar with ) only record at a sensor event due to thats how its made or maybe how you set it up, then it is still strange there are no other files cuz mostely dashcams seem to be hard to fine tune in regard to sensitivity of the G sensor and so most always get a lot of false event files created anyway.

For how long have you been running that camera / memory card ??
The 5 minutes is right after the crash . It has video on it, but every file i can see and play are after the crash

What do you see if you check the card properties on your PC? Is the card 'full'? If so, file recovery software may be able to extract some files from the card.
I have not checked properties , just the files that come up when i plug in iether the card in PC or the camera with the card in it on my pc. I see 11 files, all videos , but all after the crash. No other files show up on the card.

11 files, that must be all short event files as thats pretty much the only way a camera can record shorter than 1 minute files that are normally the shortest file length for normal operation.

There are for sure something fishy with this, and by the face of it i am inclined to say it is the memory card thats the culprit.

Save what ever files you do have / can and test the card integrity using H2testw thats a neat little free program for this.

Rule of thumb is the memory card are always one of the weak link in dashcams ( no matter the card brand / class ) at least in the good cameras, cheap ones you can see the camera die / go bad before any memory card issue.

A memory card only have a set number of read / write cycles, so sooner or later they will go fishy, which is where you will want to catch that in time by inspecting the memory card once in a while, it take me a good 5 minutes on the PC to look over the 64 / 128 Gb cards i use.
Also a format in the camera now and then will be good, i do that about every 3 month in general more often on test cameras as they often get new firmware's and a format of the memory card are part of a firmware upgrade.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Dash Cam Discussion 4
Back