On the fence on purchasing an 0906......have a few questions

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm currently running old 0801 knockoffs in all my cars

Picked them up dirt cheap years ago and they 've all served me quite well

Looking to upgrade to a dual cam unit, but have a few questions

1) Are video files saved as standard mp4's for each camera or is a proprietary software needed to view them?

2) How long can the camera(s) operate on capacitor power alone?

3) Does the wireless event remote work using IR? (does it have to be pointed at the camera or can I hide it?)

4) Any overheating issues if run constantly? (my plan is to run it hot with a with an LVC module)

1. two separate files, nothing special, any viewer will be fine, VLC, media player etc
2. 2 to 3 seconds
3. RF
4. a few reports of overheating in the early production version but seem ok recently

1 : Yes
2: Only to shut down camera, battery or capacitors shutdown are really all they are meant for.
3: The buton remote are BT or WIFI
4: Sadly i managed to kill my pre production sample pretty fast last year, if i hadent it would still be in my car probably as side cameras by now.

Ok, so do the two separate files share the same numbers or do I have to go sifting through random files in order to match footage?

Also, can all of the time stamps, gps and speed info be turned off completely? (I prefer clean raw footage)

I’m actually debating between the 0906 and the Vantrue N2

I like the the interior cam on the N2 as well as the rear window cam on the 0906, just hard to decide which footage I’d need more :unsure:

Wish they made a 3 lens setup in this style of cameras

1: MOV FILES. CODING IS H.264
2: NEVER REALLY TIMED IT BUT AGREE WITH ABOVE COMMENT: SHUTDOWN OR TRANSITION WITH PARKING GUARD ENABLED.
3: I RECENTLY VIEWED A FILE WHERE THE RECORDED TEMP WAS 202 F.
THE ONLY THING I'VE NOTICED IS THE POWER ON L.E.D. ISN'T WORKING ANY LONGER.
I'VE ALSO NOTICED THAT IF THE UNIT IS REMOVED THERE ARE SOME ITEM THAT WILL RESET TO DEFAULT. THE G-SENSOR WHICH I HAVE TURNED OFF RESETS TO HIGH.
I AM AT THIS POINT VERY SATISFIED

Has there been any issues with screen burn over time?

I run my old 0801's LCD constantly and each one of them has minor image burned in.

Yes no silly screens going, at least if you dont need them like NAV and phone.
Mind you i often use screen on always ( not always a option in dashcams ) but just cuz i am a tester and after some weeks i stop that as thermal testing have been completed.

Last summer testing the 0906 i saw like silly high ( false ) temperatures, so high the thing should have caught fire, and last summer was like winter compared to the mans summer we Danes been so fortunate to get this year.
Still the 0906 dident miss a beat, not before it just went black on me one day.
Last year was had like 3-4 days with temps over 25 deg C, this year we beat that before summer even started, and we had way more days with over 30 degrees.
But i had stopped driving with LCD always on when the pre-production camera died on me after a couple of months, and besides the 0906 have 3 good LED's for messaging about what go on with the camera, so no need at all to use LCD on more than a few minutes ( i normally use 3 minutes LCD off )

If you do go for the 0906 use your local Amazon so you have a local place to RMA to if it is a dud, not worth saving a couple of bucks and then have none or little response from seller.

The reason I like having the LCD on (at least on my 0801) is that I can see when it's working as well as when it has an error :confused:
When I use the event button to save a file, it shows the "EMG" logo on the screen and I know for sure it will be saved :cool:
Back when I used to use it without the LCD on, it was always iffy and I'd end up pulling the camera altogether for the rest of my trip just to make sure the said event was not overwritten :unsure:

Another question....

On the event remote, once the button is pushed, what does the camera do to signify that the event has in fact been saved?

Another question....

On the event remote, once the button is pushed, what does the camera do to signify that the event has in fact been saved?
Camera shutter sound for taking a photo or padlock sound for locking the file, depending on how long you press the remote button for.

Cool

Ordered one this morning along with a B1W for interior shot :cool:

What SD card do you guys recommend?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M mini0906 25
Back