On the Fence

jschaf024

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I've been doing plenty of research in order to find a suitable dashcam for my fiance'.

Characteristics I was looking for:
Reliability - Video Quality in Day/Night/Sunny conditions - Simplicity - Dual Channel - GPS Data -Parking protection

After researching and following this forum..I am looking at Street Guardian. Few sacrifices I've discovered are:
- lack of parking protection (Live in L.A. and have had bump and runs, crappy neighbor, etc.) Mainly trying to protect her in case of future accident. Have had two really bad luck incidents where other lied and we paid. Still pissed off.
- says recording loop - 1, 2, 3, 5 min.. - does this mean I cant have, let's say a continuous fluid video of an hour drive through Death Valley if we choose to? Essentially this is a security item, but we're adventurous and would be a bonus to enjoy some of our drives after-the-fact via video if we were inclined.

Anyway, I see the SG9663DC. I hear about a possible parking-mode "upgrade" in a hardwire kit due to release.. I'm curious at to what this would enable exactly?
Other than this, it seems like a solid set-up, and am aware that I could get aftermarket support quite easily, which is a big bonus, considering the product is from over seas and there's a trust issue there for me with electronics.
Thanks for your time.

P.S. - Where does one purchase Street Guardian if I decide to go this route? Looking for a place that supports no-hassle returns or any shipping issues if necessary

Last edited:
this camera will have parking mode available once the hardwire kit ships - which should be within a few weeks if not sooner. from what i understand, the camera switches to low-FPS time-lapse mode when the vehicle is turned off, and switches back to full speed recording when the car is on. @jokiin will probably provide full details once it's actually released.

loop recording is standard on all dashcams. even action cams like gopro/sjcam/gitup/etc can't record for an entire hour in a single file. that's a limitation of the file system itself in most cases. longest file i've ever recorded on my git2 action cam was a hair over 20 minutes, and that was a 4gb file (that's single channel, 1080p). that said, it's really easy to stack up individual files in a video editor (which you'd probably want to use anyway, for adding captions, changing/adding audio, or whatever) and have a seamless finished video.

Jon sells SG here in the states, both directly on his site, and on amazon - @Street Guardian USA

Hey thanks for the information. Much appreciated. Obviously I am new to this - had no idea about the file system and loop recording limitations. But as long as I could put together a seem-less video every once in awhile, I'd be happy.

Sounds like time-lapse would help in an event. Nice to know an "upgrade" is coming soon. So, if I purchase the camera, it'll essentially be able to be upgraded to one with parking mode. Thanks again

Hi, I've been doing plenty of research in order to find a suitable dashcam for my fiance'.

Characteristics I was looking for:
Reliability - Video Quality in Day/Night/Sunny conditions - Simplicity - Dual Channel - GPS Data -Parking protection

After researching and following this forum..I am looking at Street Guardian. Few sacrifices I've discovered are:
- lack of parking protection (Live in L.A. and have had bump and runs, crappy neighbor, etc.) Mainly trying to protect her in case of future accident. Have had two really bad luck incidents where other lied and we paid. Still pissed off.
- says recording loop - 1, 2, 3, 5 min.. - does this mean I cant have, let's say a continuous fluid video of an hour drive through Death Valley if we choose to? Essentially this is a security item, but we're adventurous and would be a bonus to enjoy some of our drives after-the-fact via video if we were inclined.

Anyway, I see the SG9663DC. I hear about a possible parking-mode "upgrade" in a hardwire kit due to release.. I'm curious at to what this would enable exactly?
Other than this, it seems like a solid set-up, and am aware that I could get aftermarket support quite easily, which is a big bonus, considering the product is from over seas and there's a trust issue there for me with electronics.
Thanks for your time.

P.S. - Where does one purchase Street Guardian if I decide to go this route? Looking for a place that supports no-hassle returns or any shipping issues if necessary
Hey thanks for the information. Much appreciated. Obviously I am new to this - had no idea about the file system and loop recording limitations. But as long as I could put together a seem-less video every once in awhile, I'd be happy.

Sounds like time-lapse would help in an event. Nice to know an "upgrade" is coming soon. So, if I purchase the camera, it'll essentially be able to be upgraded to one with parking mode. Thanks again

Reliability/Video quality is there for sure. The upgraded sensor/lens is quite good.

The new "SGDCHW" 3-wire hardwire kit is scheduled for production and should be ready very soon. This specially designed 3-wire hardwire kit will enable parking mode. It will be a special low-power state, time-lapse recording with selectable frame rate. It will have Built-in low voltage battery discharge prevention, and you can set timer options in the camera settings menu screen itself.

All segments from the loop recordings are totally seamless clip to clip and easily combined into one giant video for special projects as needed.

I'm using a 400GB card in my SG9663DC and can store a massive amount of video.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/now-testing-sandisk-ultra-a1-667x-400gb-cards-sg9663dc.34280/

You can purchase directly from our website. (see signature or my user profile) You can also purchase on Amazon.

Welcome to the club,
:)

THank you. Sounds like a decent product, although, not much out there in terms of reviews/user experience compared to others..It's for my fiance' so I want things to be right, and work every time no questions ask. With a bit more money I am looking at Blackvue and Thinkware..but all of the extras don't appeal to me at the moment, only a few. Will make a decision shortly.

THank you. Sounds like a decent product, although, not much out there in terms of reviews/user experience compared to others. Will make a decision shortly.

Very little support has been needed so far with this model. It's very stable. SG9663DC was actually delayed many months to get things just right before being made available for sale. Street Guardian doesn't release half-baked products. It didn't make sense to delay sales further waiting for the add-on SGDCHW though, but that's right around the corner for parking mode function.

I wish more customers would leave reviews. It's pretty common to only receive 1 Amazon review for every 50-100 units sold, unfortunately. No News = Good news for the most part when it comes to Amazon reviews.
1527189413881.png

Street Guardian is building a quality brand name and not just moving boxes, that's for sure. (in it for the long game) The 2-year warranty was a new addition as of 2018.

...not much out there in terms of reviews/user experience compared to others....
I've been running a 'DC' since first released and no issues. Even if there were you would be hard pressed to find better support than what you would get from Street Guardian.

Very little support has been needed so far with this model. It's very stable. SG9663DC was actually delayed many months to get things just right before being made available for sale. Street Guardian doesn't release half-baked products. It didn't make sense to delay sales further waiting for the add-on SGDCHW though, but that's right around the corner for parking mode function.

I wish more customers would leave reviews. It's pretty common to only receive 1 Amazon review for every 50-100 units sold, unfortunately. No News = Good news for the most part when it comes to Amazon reviews.
View attachment 38430

Street Guardian is building a quality brand name and not just moving boxes, that's for sure. (in it for the long game) The 2-year warranty was a new addition as of 2018.

That last part was the deciding factor for me after all else was considered, even though it meant a higher price point than the other "finalists" in my decision. I don't think I've come across another company in recent years that responds so quickly to support questions and is so committed to making sure that products are really ready before they ship.

Richard

You can make one long video of you driving until you pass out, but the camera cant do that for you.
The dashcams record in the small segments so if something go wrong than you just loose a little Vs if the camera recorded one big file or lets say just the 4 Gb limitation files on some cameras, thats still 15 minutes you loose if it go bad.

So what you need to record a long drive are:

1: A memory card large enough to store it all.
2: you need to import the XXX files of what ever size ( i use 3 minutes ) to a video editing program, and then export all those little files as one hour long file. This can be dont with a few clicks of the mouse, but will take a while to export a really long drive even if it is only 1080p resolution.
Normally the editing software will stacl all the files in relation to their name ( time / date and some times a file number too ) you you can just "capture" 173 files or however many you need and then export them strait into editing software, and then drop them in line, and hit export,,, and you will have your 1 long recording when thats done exporting.

1 problem can be, if camera have a overlap between segments ( so not to loose a split second, this are often 1000 ms / 1 second ) So if you record with 3 minute file size like i do then you might have a 1 second repeating on the end of each segment.
This of course look stupid so you need to remove 1 second from each 3 minute 1 second long segment. this are easy done using registrator viewer ( automated )

Good thing are many modern cameras are dropping the 1 second overlap, and thats good as registrator viewer no longer support the newer hardware, so if you go for a new dashcam with no overlap then you just need to mix xxx number of files into 1 file using any editing software.

A street guardian product you can get in the US amazon store, or from their own web site https://streetguardian.cam/

The SG9663DC i believe store around 16 hours of footage from each of the 2 cameras on a 128 Gb memory card, so 32 hours in total, but it support even larger memory cards if you plan on recording and saving a really awsome long drive.

Lets hope some of the new dashcam viewer softares get the same basic functionality registrator viewer have / had, cuz it was perfect for combining a number of files up and export them as 1 big file, it had a high degree of automation so it detected and sorted your drive sessions automatic, so to save a long one you just had to click it and select save all

Perhaps i should make a tutorial of how to combine a lot of videos into one using a editing program too,,,,,,, ill have something for you later on.

If I'm not mistaken, the DC is one of those newer cameras that no longer has the overlap. I don't have a DC myself though, so I can't say for sure. But I would be really surprised if it did have an overlap. My older a119 doesn't have an overlap.

some how the screen recorder ( part of pinnacle studio 20 ) dont work any more, not even after i reinstall the firmware.

If I'm not mistaken, the DC is one of those newer cameras that no longer has the overlap. I don't have a DC myself though, so I can't say for sure. But I would be really surprised if it did have an overlap. My older a119 doesn't have an overlap.
correct, the 9666x series chipsets support zero overlap

Thanks for all the replies.. orderedthe SG9663DC. Will see how it suits my fiance' and me. I plan to install myself, but am not too tech-savvy. More handy..hoping it's easy.

There are a lot of how to install a dashcam videos on youtube, in general its much the same despite it might be different dashcam and car models.
Everyday tinkering skills should suffice for installing a dashcam.

Okay great, I will check out the youtube videos.
@ Gibson99 - Unfortunately stuck in L.A.. but thank you for the kind gesture

Back