Onboard Video Storage

ohyoubrokethat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking for an onboard video storage solution.

I am trying to outfit a vehicle and need help figuring out how to safely and securely store dashcam video via some sort of onboard storage system. Ultimately I will need two cameras, GPS tracking (which I understand is a feature many dash cams offer), and onboard video storage in the vehicle. I I understand a traditional hard drive is not an option due to literal bumps in the road but wonder how else I could store recorded video directly from a dash cam onto a storage device.

I know there is a solution but I have no idea how to make it work.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Is there a reason why use of a mSD card which is typical of almost all dash cams won't work for you?
Well, not necessarily. I was thinking if there was a simple way for the file(s) to be stored directly onto a more long term storage then I could eliminate the need to ever swap a SD card out.

For my purposes (delivery services), it is vital that no footage is ever lost due to a lack of storage capacity and Its possible that the camera would need to record up to 8 hours of footage a day. With an SD card I could potentially download the files onto a computer at the end of the day but that is adding a step onto our end of day procedure. I don't want the driver of the vehicle to have to worry about running out of storage space on an SD card or forget to replace (or heaven forbid forget to put a card in at the start of the day). To me, storing the file directly onto a more long term storage device helps me lower these risks.

Also, there is a need for the files to be stored securely where the driver would not be able to access the footage.

Last edited:
OK, valid reasons. I don't know of anything in the consumer market that does what you looking for but there may be commercial systems that do. I'm not at all familiar with that market so someone else will have to jump in with ideas.

8 hours a day recording capacity is easily addressed with larger cards. I'm using a 512GB card that can handle ~40 hours of dual channel (front and rear) video - doesn't address your concern about end-of-day procedures though.

I only know of Gnet that offer a external SSD drive ( up to 2 TB ) for a couple of their models.

Some have experience with the older "700" model.

But these are more or less a unknown brand for us in here, and not all the cameras are 1080p, and i am not sure how accessible the external HDD are when it is installed.
I also think the HDD are M2/NVMe type and not regular SATA.

You can get 1TB memory cards but so far 512 GB seen the max in the few brands that support that, and that are still going to hold many 8 hour days of footage if it is just 1 camera.
But the little micro SD cards are bit of suckers to work with, many of us have launched one, and some never find it again, a good DIY idea is to put a bit of tape on the memory card so it become a bit longer and have a "tongue" you can use to control it.

Last edited:
There are commercial cams made for this, at least one can wirelessly DL to your server, but these are expensive and have lesser video quality than today's better/best dashcams There are dashcams which can be configured to DL similarly or on-the-go with LTE, but again the price is substantial compared to the usual cams. Not sure how you run your company, but it's not that hard to get used to pulling cards at the end of the day, and it will be considerably more economical to take that route if you have numerous vehicles involved. Plus many dashcams will alert you when there's no SD card inserted so you won't have a problem with that end of things.

Phil

The "pro" cameras that do support a HDD it is probably a SATA drive, so a consumer SSD can be used just fine i would think, this will negate the problem a spinning disk would be.
But these are also a minefield of quality and resolutions, and really you should not go under 1080p, + dont know about your ride but would be stupid to buy a 4 channel camera if you just need one camera on the windscreen.
The + about the "pro" systems in the main unit are often hidden and the HDD bay lockable so it can not be tampered with, something that is a clear and present danger from most drivers.
But this do mean a more complicated install as we that have ventured into the new dual remote systems can verify,,,,,, even if it is just 1 more wire. but the new thing is also now with a dual remote system you dont have to put the main unit with the memory card in plain sight or in the sun on the windscreen.

There are commercial cams made for this, at least one can wirelessly DL to your server, but these are expensive and have lesser video quality than today's better/best dashcams There are dashcams which can be configured to DL similarly or on-the-go with LTE, but again the price is substantial compared to the usual cams. Not sure how you run your company, but it's not that hard to get used to pulling cards at the end of the day, and it will be considerably more economical to take that route if you have numerous vehicles involved. Plus many dashcams will alert you when there's no SD card inserted so you won't have a problem with that end of things.

Phil
Cost isnt too prohibitive right now, our budget is 5k to outfit one vehicle with 2 cameras and onboard file storage. If I'm being honest, we are transporting cannabis in a newly legal state and there are strict guidelines as to what is needed to make a vehicle fit for transport and video monitoring is one of them.

Phil
We will be outfitting only one vehicle for transport and cost is not a concern, our budget is 5k. These sort of cams you are referring to, that download wirelessly, they would require a mobile hotspot or would download using cellular data? The video quality doesn't have to be 4k UHD top end quality, just good enough to see if someone pocketed cash from a delivery or stole product.

Phil
Cost is not too much of a concern. We have the option to lease a kit for 5k that will do everything we need (two cameras to monitor driver and cargo, gps tracking, and onboard video storage) but we think we can build our own kit for less, HAHAHA. So as long as its less than 5k we are saving money. The problem is we dont have the expertise to build one, we are cannabis people not delivery people.

What are the specific requirements for "video monitoring" here? That needs to be covered in a legal manner, and the average dashcam may not meet some security requirements that might be involved.

The newer and newest Blackvue and Thinkware cams offer connectivity options both ways (not in the same cam) so either LTE/cellular or a hotspot can be used. The methods for some cams will require DIY and added devices, but the latest Blackvue DR900X looks like it has everything integrated already (you may have to add the LTE module, plug-and-play) LINK Several folks have made systems to do the job via hotspot/mifi devices with older cameras, not too hard to DIY most of the time and initial costs may be lower.

While you're checking out the DR900X let me do some digging on the other stuff. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark those threads or info on commercial cams but regardless we can surely get you set up for a lot less than $5K as long as we can meet legal specifics regards cam security and such.

Phil

What are the specific requirements for "video monitoring" here? That needs to be covered in a legal manner, and the average dashcam may not meet some security requirements that might be involved.

The newer and newest Blackvue and Thinkware cams offer connectivity options both ways (not in the same cam) so either LTE/cellular or a hotspot can be used. The methods for some cams will require DIY and added devices, but the latest Blackvue DR900X looks like it has everything integrated already (you may have to add the LTE module, plug-and-play) LINK Several folks have made systems to do the job via hotspot/mifi devices with older cameras, not too hard to DIY most of the time and initial costs may be lower.

While you're checking out the DR900X let me do some digging on the other stuff. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark those threads or info on commercial cams but regardless we can surely get you set up for a lot less than $5K as long as we can meet legal specifics regards cam security and

This is good info.

I wonder if maybe I am looking for the wrong solution to storage. What could be done to secure SD cards? Is there a solution that would involve storing the files on an onboard SD card and the SD card is secured in a locked storage?

I don't think the cloud based cameras would be that useful for what he is talking about right now as those are more made to just save footage to the cloud that senses an impact or manual recordings. I don't think there is any quick easy way to just transfer over 8+ hours of footage wirelessly with blackvue or thinkware cams. You would be killing your mobile data usage doing that anyways.

blackvue cams do have tamper proof cases so drivers can't access the memory card though. unfortunately though I think you would just have to access the memory card and transfer it to your long term storage at the end of every day.

I am not familiar with commercial cameras but those might have the kind of features you are looking for.

I don't think the cloud based cameras would be that useful for what he is talking about right now as those are more made to just save footage to the cloud that senses an impact or manual recordings. I don't think there is any quick easy way to just transfer over 8+ hours of footage wirelessly with blackvue or thinkware cams. You would be killing your mobile data usage doing that anyways.

blackvue cams do have tamper proof cases so drivers can't access the memory card though. unfortunately though I think you would just have to access the memory card and transfer it to your long term storage at the end of every day.

I am not familiar with commercial cameras but those might have the kind of features you are looking for.
Im looking at their tamper proof system right now and I think this is getting me closer to where I want to be.

I guess I thought it would be as simple as running a wire from the camera to a hard drive, which I now know is not a good idea.

...I wonder if maybe I am looking for the wrong solution to storage. What could be done to secure SD cards? Is there a solution that would involve storing the files on an onboard SD card and the SD card is secured in a locked storage?
There are multi-channel systems that might suit your needs. The cameras are remote from the central unit which could conceivably be housed securely.

Example: https://www.thedashcamstore.com/sma...4g-digital-video-recording-system-for-fleets/

There are multi-channel systems that might suit your needs. The cameras are remote from the central unit which could conceivably be housed securely.

Example: https://www.thedashcamstore.com/sma...4g-digital-video-recording-system-for-fleets/
Oh ok! This looks like it could be a solution. I see where the Even though the video is stored on a SD card, I see where the card can be "locked" and they advertise a locking case for it. Are you suggesting these cameras are not wired directly to the recording unit? Wired or wireless doesnt really matter for me just trying to understand.

You all are getting me in the right direction for sure. The Smartwitness CP4 might be the one.

Also considering the AVIC but I like the remote storage that the SmartWitness offers.

Cost is not too much of a concern. We have the option to lease a kit for 5k that will do everything we need (two cameras to monitor driver and cargo, gps tracking, and onboard video storage) but we think we can build our own kit for less, HAHAHA. So as long as its less than 5k we are saving money. The problem is we dont have the expertise to build one, we are cannabis people not delivery people.
have a look at these

Are you suggesting these cameras are not wired directly to the recording unit?
I'm not aware of any that are wireless (not saying there aren't any) just cables from the 'remote' cameras to the central unit. These are for the most part commercial systems and we're close to the limit of my knowledge of that market segment. :unsure:

Back