One two-channel system or two single cams

Martini

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi,

Contrary to what's generally done, I'd like the second cam to film the footwell (because I'm pretty ****y about my heel & toe :D Example) rather than the back. For that reason, I don't need a great video quality on it.

So I was wondering if you could advise me on a DVR to which I could input two different cameras: a decent one for the front and a cheap one for the footwell.

Or maybe I should use two separate cameras?

If that's possible, I'd like one of the cameras (or the DVR) to have a g-meter whose data could be overlayed on the video.

For all kinds of engine data overlays take a look at Waylens Horizon.

Do you use it for racing ?
two action cameras maybe ? :)

For all kinds of engine data overlays take a look at Waylens Horizon.
Thanks for the info !
I don't have OBDII so it would be partially wasted.
More importantly, I should have specified a budget as well :D I'd like to spend under $150 for both cams.

Do you use it for racing ?
two action cameras maybe ? :)
Spirited driving. I do track the car sometimes but don't race.

I'd go for one of the new generation dual channel cameras that are about to be released, one advantage is that the rear cameras use high sensitivity sensors that will be able to see better in the dark of the footwell than most cameras, although you may still want some illumination down there. Plus the footage all ends up on a single SD card.

I currently have a prototype mini 0906 which is looking good, also a Gitup Git3 which has similar hardware but in action camera format with a higher resolution but less sensitive sensor on the front camera, I believe Street Guardian also have one about to be released. 0906 has a g-sensor but I doubt it will be of much use to you. None of these are actually on sale yet though.

If you are including SD cards in the budget figure, you're not going to get a lot for that money. Only a couple 2ch cams are worth considering in this price range and of those I think better video and reliability can be had with 2 separate cams for equal money. Two problems with all 2ch cams is that for any given card size, a 2ch will give you only half as much recording time as would the same cars in a 1ch cam, and they all have relatively low bit-rates which lowers the video quality in some conditions. There are some pretty good 2c cams made, but those are well beyond your budget.

I think the reason for so few responses is the 'footwell' part of your question. I can recommend some decent budget dashcams but I have no clue if they would focus well in that close of a situation. They seem to do OK through glass at a half meter distance. If you want to chance it, the G1W-HC is about as cheap as reliable cams get. Mine have served me well with 64GB cards, but the AR0330 sensor is old-tech and not so great in low-light conditions. The G1W-S costs 50% more, has a Sony sensor for very good low-light recording, can use 64GB cards and has been reliable for the few months it has been on the market. It might do well for both of your purposes and IMHO is the best overall value in cheaper dashcams at the moment. The form-factor may be an issue with these two though. The original Mobius is also old-tech, but rock-solid reliable and much more compact. It's kens is easy to focus and you have many lens options available. As long as there's enough light, it might be ideal for the footwell. Cost with cars and a PS will be over half your budget.

Phil

Back