Only image matters

M A R K

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro
I have spent hours on this site and others trying to find a replacement for my Garmin 55. Whilst I am super happy with the image quality of the Garmin, the voice commands are too sensitive so that at the end of a 4 hour drive with the radio on, I can have dozens of recordings where nothing happened! Sure I can switch the voice activation off but then you have to press AND HOLD the bottling on the camera to save which is simply mad.

So I don’t need 2 cameras, I don’t want “the best for under $100”, I don’t even need GPS or parking mode. WiFi isn’t important neither is an app. I’m happy to plug the SD card into my iPad and download the old fashioned way.

I just want to drive along and if something happens, a quick tap of a button saves the clip. Call me old fashioned

I see cameras with 2k claims but then really low but rates resulting in poor blocky video. Of course YouTube makes life even harder as it makes even good quality video look poor.

So I have seen footage from the A129 and must admit it looks crisp and clean. I like the Bluetooth button option. I like that I don’t have to use the rear camera and can the record at 1080p60. But I keep seeing claims that it is the best BUDGET dual camera out there.

So what is the best NON BUDGET camera out there? Is the Blackview DR900 really worth dropping £400 on or am I paying for the name? I see many complaints about usability and file management on that camera on here? I just want crisp, clear video all the time whilst I am driving.

I’m kind of drowning here with information overload so any clues?

Given that you are in the UK where we have easily readable number plates, I think the A129 would be a very good choice. (Rear camera is preferable to 60fps.)

Given that you are in the UK where we have easily readable number plates, I think the A129 would be a very good choice. (Rear camera is preferable to 60fps.)

The rear camera has no relevance for me as I don’t have a rear window to mount it on :)

The rear camera has no relevance for me as I don’t have a rear window to mount it on :)
You could go for the IR cabin camera option! (To catch thieves steeling the contents of your van.)

Or point the rear camera at your door mirror.

If you want the best vids IMHO the A129 with modified firmware is as good as you'll find in a dashcam today. It can be had as a single cam ("Duo" is 2 channel) which can do 60FPS and the modified firmware puts you in the upper 20's range for bitrate- few cams even hit mid-20's. Factory firmware is no slouch either. Look HERE to see the modified firmware thread. HINT: start at the newest page first then work back. Lots of links to raw video from testers will show you what you can get from it. Do understand that the highest bitrates increase processor heat considerably which may be detrimental to the cam, but lower rates can be used.

Phil

If you want the best vids IMHO the A129 with modified firmware is as good as you'll find in a dashcam today. It can be had as a single cam ("Duo" is 2 channel) which can do 60FPS and the modified firmware puts you in the upper 20's range for bitrate- few cams even hit mid-20's. Factory firmware is no slouch either. Look HERE to see the modified firmware thread. HINT: start at the newest page first then work back. Lots of links to raw video from testers will show you what you can get from it. Do understand that the highest bitrates increase processor heat considerably which may be detrimental to the cam, but lower rates can be used.

Phil
Thanks (this forum needs thank you buttons)

For a good quality single channel camera you may also consider the Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO. If you later change vehicle you can add a rear camera to it.

don't waste your money on the Blackvue, dearer does not equal better

Hi team,

We understand you want to share your views on our product on a public forum.

However we feel it is best to let consumers share their feedback and experiences, and suppliers/brands to offer their solutions accordingly.

You are a competitor to BlackVue in Australia, and we don't feel it is fair or professional to talk about a competitor product in this way.

We have thousands of customers using the DR900S 4K dash cam, and the vast majority are very happy with the image quality it offers.

We would never criticize your product here, and I am sure you understand no dash cam is perfect in every way, even your own.

The DR900S 4K does provide True 4K resolution, and the tests show it provides a better picture than a lot of cheaper alternatives.

Along with 4K, the customer is getting built-in WiFi, built-in GPS, Cloud connectivity, H.265 compression and more. Of course not every consumer will want these features, so not every consumer is buying a dash cam by BlackVue. There are hundreds of brands to chose from.

Thank you, peace.

Last edited:
Back