Only recording 3:01 minutes

Phil B

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently recorded a video that was suppose be at least a half hour long. When i pulled the sd card to view the video on my computer it was divided into several 3:01 videos. Any idea why?

Thank you in advance!

Yes this is normal, normally the segment size to choose from are 1 - 3 - 5 and in some cases 10 minutes, this is good cuz if something go wrong you just loose a few minutes, if you record say 30 minute files you can loose all that and thats miles of driving lost then.
The 3 minutes and 1 second mean the 0906 have a overlap of 1 second in between 2 consecutive files, this you will want to remove if you want to make a larger file.

I think most people use 3 minute files.

Well that really sucks.

yes a bit annoying if you like to save a whole drive, in the old days you could stack up and remove overlap ( automatic ) of how many ever files you like using registrator viewer but it dont support the newer cameras like the 0906.

I am not sure if any of the newer dashcam players can do that same, they aught to as its a cool feature.

It would just be alot neater if there was 1 video instead of 20

it wouldn't recycle, it would have file size issues, potential to lose a complete recording, difficulty in sharing videos etc etc, the files are easy enough to join into one file if that was needed. all dashcams work like this

I think its important to remember its a accident recorder, so really you do not need to document your 4 hours of driving before the event, with good timing all you would need is the one 3 minute file.
Of course if you go for a nice scenic drive then you could use dashcam footage as a journey video, bur really they are not ideal for this job due to their large FOV
Also you dont really want to save all your driving, that would just eat up hard drive space, and really if nothing happen then its just driving and pretty uneventful.

If it wasent for the 1 second overlap then you could just drop XX 3 minute files into any editing program and output those as 1 file with a few clocks of the mouse, but the 1 second overlap in between segments ruin the viewing pleasure as you have 1 second repeated every 3 minutes.

We have a user that do stunning journey videos, but he use a camcorder

https://www.youtube.com/user/blessedhomosapiens

Also if you are into logging scenic drives, then you want to speed them up anyway, no one will sit thru a cross state video in 1:1 speed

I logged a 9 hour drive last year using a SJ6 Legend action camera with narrow FOV selected to not have so much dashboard and A pillars in the footage.

I also upscaled the 1080p footage to 4K as that often go down better with youtube servers, this do take a while though my computer are not that old, but it is what it is some times you have to invest a little time and effort into things.

Back