ooops, school boy error!

Jas

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi there folks. This is my first post on this forum. Have been using dash cams for a few years now. Decided to purchase a new one with a xmas gift card and went with the Viofo A119 V2. All worked perfectly until I made the mother-of-all school boy errors.

I am an led technician and work daily on micro circuitry and so it pains me to declare what I have done. I ripped the guts out of a 12V usb adapter to use for a hard wire to the 12V aux fuse with a dual fuse adapter. All goes well, pretty easy. Test my secondary side and had the correct voltage etc. then forgetting all my test, prove, test fundamentals, I wire the damned thing opposite pole and cooked it. Brand new straight outa the box....:oops:

Anyhoo, I guess I'll go over the board when I go back to work on Monday after xmas break. All the good meters and power supplies are there. I really wish they'd have put a diode in the circuit for protection. I suppose it's hard to get a usb wrong under normal conditions to be fair. I have gotten lazy to a certain degree, all of our switch mode supplies and on-board drivers are pretty fault tolerant, but that's diodes by nature at its most basic.

Don't suppose anyone else has fried one of these devices and has an idea of what I'm in for? If I've cooked the IC then it'll be a donor if anyone is interested. I'll most likely claim it on insurance if it's worth it.

A cautionary tale boys and girls. Don't believe the +- symbols on the circuit board and always prove, test prove.

I doubt there's anyone here among us who has never been guilty of some embarrassing bone headed error like that where we actually knew better in the first place. :banghead: The good part is that one is not likely to make the same mistake again. (We can move on to some other bone headed thing somewhere down the line! :smuggrin:)

Reactions: Jas
I doubt there's anyone here among us who has never been guilty of some embarrassing bone headed error like that where we actually knew better in the first place. :banghead: The good part is that one is not likely to make the same mistake again. (We can move on to some other bone headed thing somewhere down the line! :smuggrin:)
Yeah I guess. In my experience most of these errors are not broadcast. No one wants to own up to such buffoonery. Not in my dept. anyways, usually you just get a "oops sorry" and someone wanders off to reset the breaker. I've already beaten myself up about it, not going back for more.

Back