Oops :(

newcamman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9663DCPRO
Hopefully others can get a chuckle out of my misfortune and maybe prevent it from happening to them.

A few days after installing my SG9663DCPRO, I was excited to pop out the microSD card to play footage of the first interesting video files that I hit the lock button for! I had already had it out a few times before just to see how everything looked and whatnot. Well, the tip of my fingernail didn't stay behind the card after I pushed it in for removal. Well... it ejected itself and flew to who knows where. However, from the sound to my side when it hit something, and the fact that I haven't been able to find the darn thing despite extensive searching lead me to believe that somewhere in my defrost ducting is the 128GB microSD that shipped with the setup. Figures, that at the time it was going to take amazon a full five days (with prime shipping!) to deliver the replacement. :cautious:
It's been two weeks, and it's still MIA.

So word of caution: when ejecting (in my case literally) your microSD card, make sure your finger/fingernail stays behind it!

not the first one to have that happen to them, stick a bit of tape or something on it so you can grab hold o fit as you eject it, use 2 hands as well, one to cover it and one to eject it. thats what i do, works well.

Welcome to the 'lost card' club. One of my previous vehicles was traded in with a 64GB card 'somewhere' inside it.

I finally learned to leave at least 1 fingernail long enough to eject the card while having my finger at an angle, versus parallel, to the card so that doesn't happen. I've also used a bit of tape to form a tab on the end of the card which will work as well.

Yeah those pesky little spring loaded MOFOs
As said you can put a bit of tape on the memory card to sort of extend it with a plastic tab, but i would still recommend to be careful, and i pray i don't have to crawl around on pea sized gravel for 30 minutes on my hands and knees to find a memory card again, cuz that was pretty painful and understandable why Japanese made people kneel on such stuff as a form of torture.

I was thinking of trying to put a small bit of painters tape on the top face of the card to provide just a little friction for when the card is in the slot.

be careful not too much friction and it doesnt eject but get stuck in there.

In most cases you don't have to push to eject. With the tape sticking out the end, you can just pull and the card should come out. When you reinsert, just push it in until it seats without clicking. I've been doing this for years and haven't had a card perform any acrobatic escape maneuvers.

KuoH

There are only two kinds of dashcam owners: Those who have had flying cards and those who will have them. Goes with the game :rolleyes: Someone here mentioned that they hold a ball cap up to catch possibly flying cards which seems to be smart and easy if you have one handy as some of us do ;) On my cams where the card may go flying, I prefer to remove the whole cam and take it to my desk before trying to get the card out- it's easier to find them here than in the car! Also another good reason to always have an extra card on hand too :cool:

Phil

Hopefully others can get a chuckle out of my misfortune and maybe prevent it from happening to them.

A few days after installing my SG9663DCPRO, I was excited to pop out the microSD card to play footage of the first interesting video files that I hit the lock button for! I had already had it out a few times before just to see how everything looked and whatnot. Well, the tip of my fingernail didn't stay behind the card after I pushed it in for removal. Well... it ejected itself and flew to who knows where. However, from the sound to my side when it hit something, and the fact that I haven't been able to find the darn thing despite extensive searching lead me to believe that somewhere in my defrost ducting is the 128GB microSD that shipped with the setup. Figures, that at the time it was going to take amazon a full five days (with prime shipping!) to deliver the replacement. :cautious:
It's been two weeks, and it's still MIA.

So word of caution: when ejecting (in my case literally) your microSD card, make sure your finger/fingernail stays behind it!

Thanks for the chuckle. I try to use like a pen cap to something thin when I can depress the card on my Viofo (I know not Street Guardian), so that it doesn't just pop up. I've lost sd cards. Got a 64GB i still can't find. They're so tiny who knows where they go! And yet that small package contains a lot of useful information we all might need. As Homer Simpson loves to say "D'OH"

We have asked for more manageable SD slots in cameras for years, i personally prefer the ones where when fully seated the memory card still are a little out of the slot.
Ideally you would want to have your nail / finger across the memory card at a 90 degree angle when ejecting it, not having to press with nail but rather the tip of your finger.

I have also launched cards out of action cameras here at home at my computer in the living room, very fortunate i have a pretty basic setup as i have been living out of moving boxes for 8 years, so not a lot of furniture ASO set up where a cars can land on or under and hide.

Only so far you can mount the reader off the edge of the PCB and still be functional unfortunately

need to make some sort of tool for sd card removal that attaches to a clip at side of cam or something.

Just some form of tool would be nice, i have a perfect place in my center console to put it.
I have also in the past contemplated such a tool, but i never gotten around to make the prototype as i don't have any thin and strong enough plastic or metal.

Only so far you can mount the reader off the edge of the PCB and still be functional unfortunately

Wouldn't want to go any farther there anyway, as that would weaken the socket's attachment to the board. But it should be reasonably possible to mold a slot in the plastic camera case, perpendicular to the card, wide enough to use a fingernail or coin to depress it. Or similarly a circular dimple ;)

Phil

There are limits to what's possible/practical in any design

I understand that there are practical limitations, but I've seen dimples molded into similar plastics and based on what I know of this (which isn't a lot) a cross-slot should also be possible to mold in there. Not something you'd do with an existing product but perhaps could be incorporated in any new designs.

Phil

I wonder why they don't make a thin, flat, tool the side of the SD slot that you can insert and use to depress the card. Thus, controlling it from flying out.

Sorry to hear that and hope it turns up later. So Amazon is actually providing a replacement, or you had to foot the cost?

For my SG9665GC, I use the needle tip/point of a geometry compass to push on one side of the card while pressing on the other side with a finger so it won't fly out suddenly.

Back