Oops :(

I understand that there are practical limitations, but I've seen dimples molded into similar plastics and based on what I know of this (which isn't a lot) a cross-slot should also be possible to mold in there. Not something you'd do with an existing product but perhaps could be incorporated in any new designs.

Phil
there is a cutout in the housing also, again there's still a limit to how much of that you can do though

Sorry to hear that and hope it turns up later. So Amazon is actually providing a replacement, or you had to foot the cost?
I bought the setup from Street Guardian directly. Either way, I lost the card, so I paid for the replacement. Bummer too, I would've used that money for a CPL for the rear camera.

there is a cutout in the housing also, again there's still a limit to how much of that you can do though
Yeah, I’m not interested in a tool at all, even a little. But a deeper cutout would help be able to use the meat of your fingertip more than a fingernail to press it in to seat it or pop it out, which should help minimize flying cards lol

Yeah, I’m not interested in a tool at all, even a little. But a deeper cutout would help be able to use the meat of your fingertip more than a fingernail to press it in to seat it or pop it out, which should help minimize flying cards lol

I completely agree with you about the benefits of a deeper indent/cutout to facilitate insertion and removal of the microSD card in a dash cam.

Many dash cams on the market either don't have one at all or have one that is entirely inadequate. Using Street Guardian as an example, in light of jokiin's comment, I'm unclear why he claims there is a "limit to how much you can do". Street Guardian cams have a very shallow indent and only on one side at that! The result is quite ineffective. Why even bother engineering such as thing?

I've had hands-on experience with over two dozen different dash cams at this point and like most everyone else I've watched in horror as an expensive memory card goes shooting off into some dark recess in my vehicle never to be seen again.

The very best memory card slot design I've ever had experience with was the now defunct Shadow GT680W. It had a wide and deep indent on both sides of the slot and you didn't need a finger nail or a tool.
All you needed was a big fat fingertip! Never ever had trouble inserting a memory card on that cam or using a fingertip to remove the card. With your finger blocking the card as you un-click it from the slot, it wouldn't ever get away from you. Once you disengaged the card, blocking it with your fingertip so it couldn't get away from you, it sat there quietly waiting for you to pull it out the rest of the way. All dash cams should use this approach. What "limit"? It just requires better design.

Shadow GT680W
gt680w_card_slot.jpg
SG9663DC
sg_cut_out.jpg

Last edited:
Oh c'mon, this is just silly already! So guess what, you actually hafta be careful when you pop out the card. Use a pen tip in one hand and hold one of your fingers from the other hand on the other corner of the card.

Oh c'mon, this is just silly already! So guess what, you actually hafta be careful when you pop out the card. Use a pen tip in one hand and hold one of your fingers from the other hand on the other corner of the card.

I prefer a large paper clip. I always keep one or two in my vehicle. They also come in handy if you ever need to reset a camera.

Personally trying to use both hands to get a memory card out of a camera up near my rear view mirror, especially at night seems nuts! And the degree of nuttiness may well be worse depending upon what sort of vehicle you drive.

I prefer good, functional design.

I was working at our Stand at the London Motor Show a couple of years ago. Customer comes up and asks if the data is stored on a Micro SD card so i explained it was. He said i hate those cards they always shoot out and get lost, i told him that had never happened to me and showed him how to do it. Well you can guess what happened next, i pressed it in, my nail slips off to watch a micro sd card going flying over my shoulder!

I was a little embarrassed to say the least :shame:

I was working at our Stand at the London Motor Show a couple of years ago. Customer comes up and asks if the data is stored on a Micro SD card so i explained it was. He said i hate those cards they always shoot out and get lost, i told him that had never happened to me and showed him how to do it. Well you can guess what happened next, i pressed it in, my nail slips off to watch a micro sd card going flying over my shoulder!

I was a little embarrassed to say the least :shame:

Hubris is a bitch!

That GT680W design is what I'm thinking of. Definitely possible with most cams if it's designed in from the start. Or alternately a full-circular hole the size of a pencil eraser imposed over the slot. My point is that something better than we usually get is possible, and it could also be a good selling point too, so why not?

Phil

NOW WITH ANTI-EJECTOR DESIGN !

just think, 40 years from now the car is at the wreckers, someone is pulling it apart looking for a part for their car to restore it and find an old fashioned huge sized SD card, they try and work out how to look at it on their computer with an old style card reader they get from an antique shop and find out what the world was like 40 years ago on the road.

Well on the internet i assume its the only place where i will live forever, don't have any kids or family of my own to remember me.
So i am putting a big old dent in the internet that will stay there forever,,,,,, and i assume there will some day be internet historians.

Back