Open-source dashcam software

Daniel15

Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC v3
I was wondering whether there's any dashcam software (similar to Registrator Viewer) that's open-source? I'm always a bit hesitant to use proprietary software if an open-source equivalent exists. I'm a developer, so it's useful to be able for me to add new features myself

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lola

Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius
I was wondering whether there's any dashcam software (similar to Registrator Viewer) that's open-source? I'm always a bit hesitant to use proprietary software if an open-source equivalent exists.

Thanks!
First off I haven't started using any editor yet! I run a Linux version called Ubuntu 16.04 and have been looking at the available editors through searches on the Internet and various forums. The best thing I could come up with was "Kdenlive" it was always mentioned when the best Linux video editors was used as a search criteria. I haven't started playing with it so can't answer any questions about it yet.
Their were a couple others that seemed OK but when I investigated them more something usually seemed to be lacking. Sorry I can't be of more help, just letting you know what conclusion I came to.

Good luck and I'll be watching your post, maybe we will both learn something new. By open source if you are interested in Linux, their is a forum called linuxquestions.org that is probably the best on the Internet, free and extremely helpful to those needing help.

Another great place to find out things:
https://launchpad.net/openshot-project

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Daniel15

Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC v3
I'm mainly looking for something that shows GPS data, like Registrator Viewer does.

By open source if you are interested in Linux, their is a forum called linuxquestions.org that is probably the best on the Internet, free and extremely helpful to those needing help.
I'm already a pretty active open-source contributor :)

BBorell

Country
United States
I was wondering whether there's any dashcam software (similar to Registrator Viewer) that's open-source? I'm always a bit hesitant to use proprietary software if an open-source equivalent exists. I'm a developer, so it's useful to be able for me to add new features myself

Thanks!
If you want the GPS / google earth map I have found nothing. A straight editor that will play your video is Shotcut. Not much video quality loss.