Opia2 officially dead - NOW FIXED!

hyperm3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Vico Opia2 and loving it
After months of struggling why my cam was recording nonstop in the dead dark of my garage overnight, not turning on every once in a while when starting my car, it now will not power on at all.

Its only 9 months old and I have written to Vico about it. Very saddened by this as I really loved it.

I feel your pain, my original one and its replacement had poor video quality (looked like 480p) and would fail to automatically start recording on both my hardwired power and via the factory power supply. Overall a promising camera that turned out to be a potato.

Still under warranty ... who did you purchase it from ... and are they going to replace it? ... or did you buy it directly from China?

There is a rep from the Company in Taipei who visits this forum.
You can contact this person by addressing them with @VicoVation ... then add your message

I have probably already alerted them by using the link myself here.
Not sure - haven't used it myself as yet... well, until now.

Last edited:
Still under warranty ... who did you purchase it from ... and are they going to replace it? ... or did you buy it directly from China?

There is a rep from the Company in Taipei who visits this forum.
You can contact this person by addressing them with @VicoVation ... then add your message

I have probably already alerted them by using the link myself here.
Not sure - haven't used it myself as yet... well, until now.

Ok, so I contacted vicodirect who I bought it from on Amazon and they helped me fix it. I have to give them a huge amount of credit for getting back to me so quickly. Apparently there is a known capacitor drain issue and thats what I experienced. They sent me a beta firmware(2.7) to use to remedy it. So far its working great again!

Nope, its definitely dead. Last monday I came out to my car completely dead. Not even a light on the dash. Somehow the software got past the security of the powerplus saving the battery from depletion. Getting a replacement cam soon.

Please give us an update on how you go dealing with VicoVation ... as well as your new replacement OPIA2

Please give us an update on how you go dealing with VicoVation ... as well as your new replacement OPIA2

So I ended up sending my cam back to VicoDirect who I bought it from. We are doing this in stages. They are going to test my cam to see if they can reproduce any of the symptoms Im experiencing and then determine if theres a firmware error or hardware error. If nothing is wrong with either then we will take a look at my powerplus.

All that being said, even when I was taking the cam out of my car it was very warm, the memory card even hotter. The issue is that the car was parked in my (dark)garage without being run for 8 hours! I would say that shouldnt be happening.

UPDATE: I received my unit back and its been working flawlessly since. Apparently I had my parking mode setting to "too" sensitive and it was picking up the very small powerstrip light on my workbench in front of the car. This little light in the pitch black darkness of my garage was enough to set off the camera to record all night(or at least until the powerplus did its job and cut off power to protect the battery).

So I still fully recommend this dashcam to anyone and the professionalism of vicodirect on Amazon(specifically Frank) who helped me through the whole ordeal.

Great result ... good to hear, and cheers for the update.

Back