Opia2 stops recording when I'm stopped with the engine on

rst.ack

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I got pulled over by the police today and wanted to review the footage, but to my surprise the cam only recorded the 60 seconds after I came to a stop, and then started recording again as I drove off, missing the couple of minutes of discussion with the officer (which were the most important minutes of the stop).

Right now it's plugged in to the 12-volt cigarette lighter adapter (not the PowerPlus), using a 32GB "Cammsys" micro SD card that came with the camera when I ordered it from Dashcams Australia.

Any ideas about what could have caused this?

If you mean is Parking Mode enabled with motion sensing, then yes. But why would that mess with the recording with the engine on?

the motion detect can timeout when there's nothing happening, you can test this easily by covering the lens and see if it pauses the recording after a minute

I'll give that a go, but what I meant was: why would the camera be engaging the "parking" mode when the engine is on? When I park, I normally turn the engine off :p

I'll give that a go, but what I meant was: why would the camera be engaging the "parking" mode when the engine is on? When I park, I normally turn the engine off :p

is it a 2 wire or 3 wire power supply, how is the camera wired up?

So, turning off motion-sensing parking mode solves the original problem of the recording stopping, but now that probably means I have absolutely no protection while my car is parked, right?

is it a 2 wire or 3 wire power supply, how is the camera wired up?

It's plugged into the 12V cigarette lighter plug, not hard-wired.

Unfortunately not.

This also begs the question - even with a Vico PowerPlus power supply (which would allow parking mode to work with the engine off), wouldn't the problem of the recording stopping while I'm stopped at a traffic light or by police be a problem again?

Unfortunately not.
ok, so you have no parking mode then, best to leave that turned off so it doesn't time out during normal driving

This also begs the question - even with a Vico PowerPlus power supply (which would allow parking mode to work with the engine off), wouldn't the problem of the recording stopping while I'm stopped at a traffic light or by police be a problem again?
yes that could still be a problem

Not that either of us can really do anything about it, IMO that's a significant design flaw
it's the type of thing that is possible to improve in firmware, Vico have stopped doing dashcams though so very unlikely to ever happen I suspect

Good to know, I didn't know Vico were out of the biz. Thanks for your help.

Back