Opinion on 24 hr use

Blockisle9

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two of these in my car and love them. I’m thinking of putting one in my home in the front window. Will this stand up to 24 hour use? What’s the life expectancy of of the memory card used like this. how long of a loop can I get out of the memory card using the largest one the camera can use and the size?
or any other suggestions. I don’t want motion use, just constant recording
Thanks

I have two of these in my car and love them. I’m thinking of putting one in my home in the front window. Will this stand up to 24 hour use? What’s the life expectancy of of the memory card used like this. how long of a loop can I get out of the memory card using the largest one the camera can use and the size?
or any other suggestions. I don’t want motion use, just constant recording
Thanks
B1W+Powerbank+128Gb card will work!

Not enough for 24 hours recording if standard firmware; But it is enough for the low-bit-parking mode firmware;

Thanks! So if I’m reading this correctly. The B1W has a bit rate of 12. So a 128 card should record for 24.3 hours.
In theory - yes. However space utilization is never 100% on any storage device so the reality will be somewhat less. How much less is hard to quantify but if you plan on 90% you should have a good safety margin.

In theory - yes. However space utilization is never 100% on any storage device so the reality will be somewhat less. How much less is hard to quantify but if you plan on 90% you should have a good safety margin.

The B1W reserves 30% of space for lockfiles, so with a 128GB card, you'll have around 120GB usable, less 30% is around 84GB or about 16 hours of recording.

The B1W reserves 30% of space for lockfiles, so with a 128GB card, you'll have around 120GB usable, less 30% is around 84GB or about 16 hours of recording.
Did not know the B1W reserved space. Not smart IMO since it's unlikely all that would ever be used as intended and just becomes wasted space.

Did not know the B1W reserved space. Not smart IMO since it's unlikely all that would ever be used as intended and just becomes wasted space.

There's been quite a bit of discussion on this subject. Some space has to be reserved somehow for locked files or you risk having locked files fill the card and stop the normal recording. 30% is just enough for people using small cards but it's a lot for those of us using big cards.

Disclaimer: No dashcam is meant to be used for full-time regular recording including this one, and your warranty may be voided if you do this. But in my experience, the B1W does quite well this way, even in higher summer heats inside of a closed car. I ran one all summer this way in testing without a glitch. As best I can remember I was getting something over 15 hours recording time using full-bitrate regular recording with a Samsung EVO Select 128GB card and this cam. The low-bitrate firmware choice would be better for this and would also extend your recording time as well as being a lot easier on the cam ;) Card life will depend on the card type; a MLC "endurance" type will last longer than a standard card and a TLC type might go even further. The critical point is that the card must always handle the bitrate of the data being sent to it regardless of type or it will stop recording due to card error. Some 'endurance' cards have low write speeds so if you use these do your research well on them before buying.

Having said all this, you might be better off with a cam designed for this purpose like the WYZE or Nest cams. These are even cheaper than the B1W and are warrantied for full-time recording. One thing you'll need to do with these is to cover the IR LED if you've got it looking outside from inside a glass window, otherwise all it will capture at night is glare from the IR illuminator. Always better to use a tool designed for the job at hand whenever possible (y)

Phil

Back