Opinions on longer or shorter loop times?

thiesr

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What opinions do you have about loop times? 1 minute? 3 minutes? 5 minutes?

Pros / Cons???

It's a personal preference. I usually like to capture 3 or 5 minute clips to have a period of continuity before or after events. It's really a question of memory management in transferring files to a computer or mobile device and then working with them. I find that 500-600 MB files from the 5 minute clips my cameras produce have plenty of footage but are still quite manageable.

Last edited:
It's a personal preference. I usually like to capture 3 or 5 minute clips to have a period of continuity before or after events. It's really a question of memory management in transferring files to a computer or mobile device and then working with them. I find that 500-600 MB files from the 5 minute clips my cameras produce have plenty of footage but are still quite manageable.

3 or 5 minutes clips would be the good option for daily dashcam recording.
1 mints would be too short that will create 3 or 5 times more files, if have a slight car hit, you need to find a plenty clips to find the right one.

I thought that I wanted the 5 minute clips but now prefer the 1 minute lengths. Since they are time stamped, they are easy to find and you do not have to fast forward though minutes of footage to find the 10 seconds of actual action you want to see. It also helps to keep the file sizes down and more manageable.

I thought that I wanted the 5 minute clips but now prefer the 1 minute lengths. Since they are time stamped, they are easy to find and you do not have to fast forward though minutes of footage to find the 10 seconds of actual action you want to see. It also helps to keep the file sizes down and more manageable.

Like I've said, it's a personal preference. Nevertheless, although it is not hard to stitch clips together it can be useful to have a captured incident default "window" that shows what happened before the event and what happened after. For me, the reason I first became interested in dash cams was because a disgruntled, disturbed individual I did business with at one time who was angry that I had hired an attorney to resolve a dispute had been harassing and threatening me for quite some time. In the end it was footage I captured from my vehicle that finally lead to his arrest and in each of the incidents it was not only useful but vital to establish that I was driving along minding my own business before the perp showed up and began behaving in a reckless, threatening, highly aggressive manner. Over time, I've learned that 3 to 5 minute clips are the best default lengths for establishing most scenarios. This length is easily manageable and can be copied to a mobile device, uploaded to a server or provided to law enforcement with no editing.

Last edited:
Hello everybody ! It is possible to,,join,, all loop times (either 1 , 3 or 5 minutes each ) into one continuous ,,movie ,, ? Thank you.

Yeah if you have something like Windows Movie Maker or iMovie on a Mac they can both stitch the videos back together into one long one :)

Personally I like 2 minute clips but typically some cameras don't do them!

If you have a Mac you can even do this kind of basic editing in Quicktime Player that is included with your computer. When viewing a video window just choose "Add Clip To End" in the Edit menu and chose the video(s) you wish to add.

Thank you for your answers ! I have an Windows PC and I will try to find an adequate software .

Last edited:
in windows I use VSDC to do my editing. way more powerful than windows movie maker and has some surprisingly advanced features for a free program. bit of a learning curve but once you figure it out, it can produce some pretty good quality stuff.

oh and my preference is 1 minute videos. makes it easier to find what i want when looking at video thumbnails or using the timestamps.

I prefer 3 minutes myself. You might want to use smaller 1 minute loop if you're going to work with the files exclusively on a mobile device or if you use a Wi-Fi camera in the future for faster transfers. It doesn't matter too much if you're using registratorviewer which automatically combines the files into a seamless export anyway

Back