Optimal Settings?

danlat1415

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR970X Plus - 2ch with B-130X battery hardwired
I was just wondering what setting people are using for their video quality.

I mean the dash cam's brightness settings, night vision on/off etc.

I read a while ago that BlackVue try and optimise their firmware so that front camera brightness set to 1 shows the optimal quality.

I wondered what people have theirs set to?
Front and rear.
I have mine currently set to 3 brightness on front, 4 on rear and night vision on. I've got rear tints.
I've set high to try and get better night videos, but I may give up and just focus on the best quality day footage.

With the DR900S being very poor with night vision, is there any point having that setting turned on?
Would we get better daytime quality if this was turned off?

Also, what is the optimum position for aiming the camera at the road.
My camera is high up on the windshield, so to get 1/3 or less of the sky I end up with about 1/4 of the video just of my black dash.

I'm open to the discussions.

Last edited:
Also, what is the optimum position for aiming the camera at the road.
My camera is high up on the windshield, so to get 1/3 or less of the sky I end up with about 1/4 of the video just of my black dash.
Does that really matter? Too much sky will possibly cause under exposure of the bits you are interested in.

See what are the differences in the settings from 1 to 5 night vision devices.

Attachments

• F1.jpeg
    F1.jpeg
    675.3 KB · Views: 66
  • F2.jpeg
    F2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • F3.jpeg
    F3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • F4.jpeg
    F4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • F5.jpeg
    F5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
And here you have the same for the rear camera.

Attachments

• R1.jpeg
    R1.jpeg
    727.3 KB · Views: 39
  • R2.jpeg
    R2.jpeg
    750.5 KB · Views: 36
  • R3.jpeg
    R3.jpeg
    763.2 KB · Views: 36
  • R4.jpeg
    R4.jpeg
    740.9 KB · Views: 40
  • R5.jpeg
    R5.jpeg
    780.7 KB · Views: 46
I have night mode on and brightness on maximum. I record using max settings 25 bit front 4k 30fps and 12 bit or something for 1080p 30fps. I record onto my Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB SD card (which 119GB is available for use).

My choice of CPL filter is Blackvue-Recommended EDR Auto front cam filter. I don't need a filter for the back cause I have a Toyota Prius C and my rear window is tinted but the rear cam can see through it fine.

The Front cam is to be honest quite dark especially on cloudy days, primarily cause it doesn't have a Sony Starvis Sensor, though the rear cam has the Sony Starvis Sensor. Blackvue likely tried the sensor for the front cam but since the front cam is 4k it's probably not the best sensor, could explain why Blackvue delayed the release of the 900S last year cause they weren't too happy with the night time performance until they corrected it? Or it could be another reason.

The rear cam does poorly at night, well it's only 1080p 30fps and being a Starvis sensor it tries too hard to be bright thus more pixelation.

However the front cam performs well at night, even though it's kind of dark and feels like it has a blue filter during a sunny day sometimes.

You have here the operation of the front camera with a polarizing filter from VIOFO A129 (+ CPL) and without a filter (-CPL) with different settings of the night vision device.
It's my idea and it works well, and the shop where I bought the DR900S did a film about it.

Attachments

• FRONT_NORMAL+CPL_1.jpeg
    FRONT_NORMAL+CPL_1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • FRONT_NORMAL-CPL_1.jpeg
    FRONT_NORMAL-CPL_1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • FRONT_NORMAL+CPL_2.jpeg
    FRONT_NORMAL+CPL_2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • FRONT_NORMAL-CPL_2.jpeg
    FRONT_NORMAL-CPL_2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • FRONT_NORMAL+CPL_3.jpeg
    FRONT_NORMAL+CPL_3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • FRONT_NORMAL-CPL_3.jpeg
    FRONT_NORMAL-CPL_3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • FRONT_NORMAL+CPL_4.jpeg
    FRONT_NORMAL+CPL_4.jpeg
  • FRONT_NORMAL-CPL_4.jpeg
    FRONT_NORMAL-CPL_4.jpeg
  • FRONT_NORMAL+CPL_5.jpeg
    FRONT_NORMAL+CPL_5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • FRONT_NORMAL-CPL_5.jpeg
    FRONT_NORMAL-CPL_5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I find level 5 the best overal image quality at night for the front cam. DR900s performs pretty well with HDR at night with these high brightness settings. the rearcam has some more artifacts and may perform optimaly at level 4. these are under some of the lowest light scenarios during the middle of the night. its is the difference between a good image and nothing usefull at all :)

It whats that like in daylight?

I use level 4 now all around its a bit bright but not to bad. i need a good night image quality that is optimized to recognize a person.

Back