Original post redirected - Tapatalk broken trying to view

krelvin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, VIOFO A119 V2
Posted a followup to a post I made and then a couple minutes later tried to look at it again with Tapatalk, and got a really weird error.

No permission to reply.

Which was strange because I was just trying to view, not reply. I could see all of the other posts in that topic, but the one I had just updated no longer could be read.

It wasn't until I went back to a full browser that I noticed a redirect arrow on that post. Even then it took me a bit to figure out where it was being redirected to.

Original post was in Mobius/Mobius as it was about the original Mobius model (not the others) and was redirected to DashCam Discussion/DYI Projects/... and the post.

I can under stand why it would be moved under the DYI projects, but the post is very specific to the Mobius Action/Cam and would not work for any other Dashcams. (parts are unique).

Anyway, now that I know where it went, all's fine, but anyone trying to view it with Tapatalk will just get an error and not be able to view the topic and have no clue why or how to.

Image attached is what you see when tapatalk runs into this. No real clue as to what is going on when it happens.

Attachments

• 2017-06-01_124620.png
    2017-06-01_124620.png
    15 KB · Views: 6
Posted a followup to a post I made and then a couple minutes later tried to look at it again with Tapatalk, and got a really weird error.

No permission to reply.

Which was strange because I was just trying to view, not reply. I could see all of the other posts in that topic, but the one I had just updated no longer could be read.

It wasn't until I went back to a full browser that I noticed a redirect arrow on that post. Even then it took me a bit to figure out where it was being redirected to.

Original post was in Mobius/Mobius as it was about the original Mobius model (not the others) and was redirected to DashCam Discussion/DYI Projects/... and the post.

I can under stand why it would be moved under the DYI projects, but the post is very specific to the Mobius Action/Cam and would not work for any other Dashcams. (parts are unique).

Anyway, now that I know where it went, all's fine, but anyone trying to view it with Tapatalk will just get an error and not be able to view the topic and have no clue why or how to.

Image attached is what you see when tapatalk runs into this. No real clue as to what is going on when it happens.

It's very simple. DIY projects belong in the DIY forum.

Have a look and you will find numerous other Mobius related DIY projects there.

One thing I have done in the past is mention a Mobius related DIY project I've created and posted a link to it in the general Mobius forum.

I understand the move.. makes sense.

In that case, the original post should be physically moved not just redirected because Tapatalk doesn't know what to do with the redirect. It just gives a nonsensical error message. Kind of weird because it will follow a direct link to another post somewhere else on the forum just fine.

I would remove the original post and create a new one saying to look in DYI for it, but I can't since it is now a redirect rather than an actual post I can edit.

Thanks!

It is not the forum's fault that Tapatalk can't deal with a thread that has been moved. Why not take it up with Tapatalk?

It is not the forum's fault that Tapatalk can't deal with a thread that has been moved. Why not take it up with Tapatalk?
Hmmm.. This is the first of more than 20 forums it does not work on. Getting Tapatalk to correct an issue in the app most likely would take forever. Easiest solution is to delete the thread and recreate it in the right place.

Most forum software does exactly that. Remove original posting and replaces it with a small post that says the topic was move and provides a link to click on to get there.

Not a big deal in any case, when I see the error I will know I will need to look at the forum with a full browser to see where the post is being redirected to.

Just thought it would be visitor friendly. No gripe.

Oh also I would have changed the topic title to indicate it is for a Mobius camera. Can't edit the title as far as I can see.

Hmmm.. This is the first of more than 20 forums it does not work on. Getting Tapatalk to correct an issue in the app most likely would take forever. Easiest solution is to delete the thread and recreate it in the right place.

Most forum software does exactly that. Remove original posting and replaces it with a small post that says the topic was move and provides a link to click on to get there.

Not a big deal in any case, when I see the error I will know I will need to look at the forum with a full browser to see where the post is being redirected to.

Just thought it would be visitor friendly. No gripe.

Oh also I would have changed the topic title to indicate it is for a Mobius camera. Can't edit the title as far as I can see.

You can indeed edit the title of your thread.
Go to the upper right corner of your forum thread page and click on "Thread Tools". Then click - "Edit Title".
edit_title.png

While you are at it how about changing DYI to DIY? :):p
Wouldn't hurt to check the spelling on polarized too, I guess. ;)

Don't worry, you should see some of my ham fisted typing mistakes. :D

Last edited:
Not sure how Tapatalk deals with redirects. I believe for that thread it was only a temporary redirect. Reality is that there are not too many redirects on the site hence this issue didn't come up before. Not much I can do on my end since it appears to be the way Tapatalk interprets a redirect.

the redirected thread is viewable on Tapatalk no problem, it's more to do with his phone having cached the original location which is not updated, it's something which is isolated to only affecting the OP and then only for a short time, if someone else posts to that thread then he views unread posts he should then see it in the updated location

Agreed. If your phone and it's apps don't work right when nobody else is having problems, that kind of points out where the problem is and who it is that should be doing the fix ;) If you paid for the app, read Barnum's maxim :rolleyes:

Phil

Agreed. If your phone and it's apps don't work right when nobody else is having problems, that kind of points out where the problem is and who it is that should be doing the fix ;) If you paid for the app, read Barnum's maxim :rolleyes:

Phil
Phones trying to replace conventional computers? Someone said it'll never work and they were right. :rolleyes:;)

the redirected thread is viewable on Tapatalk no problem, it's more to do with his phone having cached the original location which is not updated, it's something which is isolated to only affecting the OP and then only for a short time, if someone else posts to that thread then he views unread posts he should then see it in the updated location
This works! Thanks.

Phones trying to replace conventional computers? Someone said it'll never work and they were right. :rolleyes:;)
To be honest, using the app on the phone makes looking at some forums easier than a full page browser. A lot less clutter and easy to target specific threads you are looking at and see them quickly from anywhere and not be anchored to a desk.

I even use it a lot on some forums even when I am sitting in front of a desk with a full screen browser. Some forums are so full of clutter, it is hard to just see the content you are looking for.

Been using Tapatalk for forum access for more than 5 years and except them (Tapatalk) trying to turn the app into some new social media thing rather than just keeping it simple for what it was originally intended for, if you cut out the crap it works quite well. So I paid for it once and have used it now on 7 different phones. Use it every day on more than 12 different forums on a regular basis and have it configured for more than 20.

I use forums a lot both as a visitor, as someone who provides hosting for forums, as a developer and moderator.

there's a few things that don't work in Tapatalk that you need a PC for but I get a lot more reading done on Tapatalk as it's very quick to preview and review posts, much faster than a web browser in a lot of cases, if I need to write a reply though I prefer to do that on the PC, a full size keyboard and a 32" monitor is a bit easier to work with

To be honest, using the app on the phone makes looking at some forums easier than a full page browser. A lot less clutter and easy to target specific threads you are looking at(...)

I even use it a lot on some forums even when I am sitting in front of a desk with a full screen browser. Some forums are so full of clutter, it is hard to just see the content you are looking for.
Ever heard of Ad Block Plus? ;)

(...) and see them quickly from anywhere and not be anchored to a desk.
Yeah, "they" are very good at creating a need that people don't have and convince them they really need it...

Back