Original SD card not workinf

in2ndo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All.

With the overheating issues of the 900. I decided to try a different/smaller SD card from thinkware that I had from previous cam. Since some post online claim that the cards could be causing the overheating.
I’ve had the thinkware 64 gigs card for probably a little over a week in the cam and it has been working fine. No it didn’t fix the overheating issue.
I just run the lates BV firmware update and decided to go back to the original BV 128 gigs card. The camera goes nowhere. The gps light blinks than the recording and back to the gps and keeps going on a loop. No voice or any other kind of message.
I took the card out and formatted it on my Mac . Since pressing the button on the camera itself did nothing.
Tried a few times. Formatted the card a couple of times and nothing.
I go back to the thinkware SD card and the camera starts normally. Tried the BV SD card again .. and again nothing.

Any ideas of what else I could try?

TIA.

Hi All.

With the overheating issues of the 900. I decided to try a different/smaller SD card from thinkware that I had from previous cam. Since some post online claim that the cards could be causing the overheating.
I’ve had the thinkware 64 gigs card for probably a little over a week in the cam and it has been working fine. No it didn’t fix the overheating issue.
I just run the lates BV firmware update and decided to go back to the original BV 128 gigs card. The camera goes nowhere. The gps light blinks than the recording and back to the gps and keeps going on a loop. No voice or any other kind of message.
I took the card out and formatted it on my Mac . Since pressing the button on the camera itself did nothing.
Tried a few times. Formatted the card a couple of times and nothing.
I go back to the thinkware SD card and the camera starts normally. Tried the BV SD card again .. and again nothing.

Any ideas of what else I could try?

TIA.

Should have add. I formatted the card from the BV Mac viewer .

It would seem.. from a lot of previous posts that the Blackvue cameras are very fussy about which SD cards will work.. perhaps by design or.. just the nature of the process.

It would seem.. from a lot of previous posts that the Blackvue cameras are very fussy about which SD cards will work.. perhaps by design or.. just the nature of the process.

However, from my experience and what I recall reading here the DR900S repeatedly complained about "check SD card" when it didn't like the card (and formatting to FAT32 usually did the trick). The new behavior observed here is the lights blinking but no voice error. Could the OP have disabled voice prompts or something?

The card that is not working. Is the one that came with the dash cam. And I did format the card FAT32. Twice.

You said you formatted through BV Viewer on your Mac, so I presume it opened Disk Utility.
To confirm, did you select MS-DOS (FAT) when you formatted the card?

Perhaps try it with a 3rd party formatting tool.
Here's one option

Are you getting any errors when formatting or does it seem to finish successfully?
Did you copy the BlackVue firmware back onto the root of the SD card?

Just some thoughts.

You said you formatted through BV Viewer on your Mac, so I presume it opened Disk Utility.
To confirm, did you select MS-DOS (FAT) when you formatted the card?

Perhaps try it with a 3rd party formatting tool.
Here's one option

Are you getting any errors when formatting or does it seem to finish successfully?
Did you copy the BlackVue firmware back onto the root of the SD card?

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I used MS-DOS FAT. It finished both times with no errors.

I haven’t read anything about putting the firmware back on the card. Also didn’t see an option within the viewer to update the firmware.
When I updated the firmware. The other card was in the cam and that’s where I did the update. In the cam.
Would you happen to know of a link to install the firmware on the card?

Thanks again.

DR900S-2CH Firmware
Download, unzip the folder, drag the BlackVue folder into the root of the empty SD card that's been formatted.

You can update firmware through the mobile app (though I recommend doing it through the computer, less possibility for issues) but I think this might be your issue.

DR900S-2CH Firmware
Download, unzip the folder, drag the BlackVue folder into the root of the empty SD card that's been formatted.

You can update firmware through the mobile app (though I recommend doing it through the computer, less possibility for issues) but I think this might be your issue.

Excuse the ignorance. But it’s been a while.
When you say copy to the root of the card. I don’t remember if there are hidden folders that I’m supposed to access to copy the BV files to. After formatting the card. Or do I just drag them to the empty card?

Thanks

Nope, just drag them into the empty card.

Nope, just drag them into the empty card.

Ok. So I was going to copy the firmware to the card and as I opened the card folder on the Mac to drag the files into it. I found that there is a folder still inside. Named Blackvue and other files within that folder.
The permissions to the card read custom. Is that something that BV does ? I have formatted the card a couple of other times. Get no errors but the folder remains.
I’m currently running a secure errase.. if your not familiar with a Mac. Is where the computer actually overwrites the info on the card.
Any thoughts ?

Thanks.

Nope. Didn’t work. Warranty it is.

Ok. So I was going to copy the firmware to the card and as I opened the card folder on the Mac to drag the files into it. I found that there is a folder still inside. Named Blackvue and other files within that folder.
The permissions to the card read custom. Is that something that BV does ? I have formatted the card a couple of other times. Get no errors but the folder remains.
I’m currently running a secure errase.. if your not familiar with a Mac. Is where the computer actually overwrites the info on the card.
Any thoughts ?

Thanks.

Wait, so you're saying that after you format the card... the BlackVue folder still remains?
Did you try the 3rd party formatting software from SDcard.org that I posted above, or just through Disk Utility?

I'm not sure about the permissions to the card, I don't have mine on me to check currently.
When you drag the new software onto the card, it likely told you that there was already a BlackVue folder on the card... did you hit replace so it overwrites the old folder and puts the new one there?

Wait, so you're saying that after you format the card... the BlackVue folder still remains?
Did you try the 3rd party formatting software from SDcard.org that I posted above, or just through Disk Utility?

I'm not sure about the permissions to the card, I don't have mine on me to check currently.
When you drag the new software onto the card, it likely told you that there was already a BlackVue folder on the card... did you hit replace so it overwrites the old folder and puts the new one there?

yes. after I formatted the card. no change. I just tried the app that you mentioned ... and I got this..SD card XX.jpeg

Back