Oumax RV55HD-M (5.0 Inch Rear View Mirror Monitor with built-in Ultra HD Dashcam)

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
Thank you Caroline at Oumax for providing this model for review.

There are plenty of videos and images below, so sit back and take a chill pill, or if you're less patient, just pick a couple and enjoy, lol...

So this is a dashcam that goes over your existing internal rear view mirror for forward facing recording, along with an external camera for the back of your vehicle to see what is going on behind you, and which doubles up as a reversing camera. Lets have a quick look at what you get...

O1A-L.jpg

O2A-L.jpg

All the things you need are supplied of course - there is the mirror with the built-in dashcam, finished in black, which helps keep the lens less noticeable. This mirror has a tinted reflection surface which is good on the eye, and hides the 5 inch IPS 854x480 display screen on which you have the menus and video playback in clear high quality visuals. The design looks very smart, and impressed me straight away. This lens is 140° (according to the sale page on Amazon, though the manual says 170°).

There is a small rear Back-Up camera (which has a resolution of only 480p, but that's usable as a dual purpose camera) along with a 33 feet long AV cable to feed to the back of your vehicle - more than enough for all users I suspect. Along with the comprehensive 58 page user manual, the car charger, rubber mounting straps (and for the rear cam, 2 mounting screws and a foam pad) you also get a Sandisk 16Gb Micro SD card (you can go up to 64Gb, though it may be feasible to use larger cards).

The main component is of course the mirror cam. Features of this boast an Mstar 8328 Quad core CPU and a 6G glass lens (with an IR filter to block infra-red rays and reduce glare, over the OV2718 sensor (or their variant of one I was able to find any info on) that I believe may be an Omnivision manufactured CMOS sensor (which I will try to confirm and update here). Video is recorded as .MOV files, with H.264 video encoding. (Be aware, the lens on the left hand side as the mirror is mounted, so I guess this is designed primarily for an American or left hand drive vehicle).

The dashcam has Oumax's Super Night Vision 2.0 for the darker hours ( :giggle: ) and has an automatic start up Record & Shut down, time and date stamped recordings, continuous loop recording, is Parking mode capable, with a G-Sensor autosave for those unexpected moments... The unit is really slim at just 12mm. The microphone performs as expected, clear enough to pick up voices, music, etc. There is also the option of adding a GPS logger independent of the mirror dashcam should you want this feature.

You'll need to charge the internal battery up when you first get dashcam, using the car charger while you go for a nice long drive will do nicely!

Installation is straight forward enough, but the manual does a fantastic job of giving you instructions on how to do the install. Here it is in the car:

WindscreenAA-L.jpg

Windscreen%20A-L.jpg

A look at some info:

mirror%20viewA-L.jpg

overviewA-L.jpg

wiresA-L.jpg

iconsA-L.jpg

The proof of any dashcams quality is obviously how it performs, and I have to say I am impressed. Video is very good in the front cam (not so from the low-res rear cam, but I expected that) and the menu access is spot on - helped by the excellent IPS display being so large! Buttons on (the underside of) the mirror are easy to press and responsive, allowing the user to get to any option with the minimum of fuss. For video playback, you can of course see them on the mirrors screen, where with a few simple menu button presses, you can watch the front cam, rear cam, or front cam with rear cam PiP, or rear cam with front cam PiP.

I have added below several videos for you to look at. The first of these is a comparison with the Oumax, Z-Edge Z3 Plus, and the Blueskysea B1W, followed by individual videos of the Oumax cam itself. During the day (it's not been very good weather wise, so sorry for that, typical, England winter) the video is clear, and number plates on freeze frames from the RV55HD-M show very well, and the amount of light gathered by the sensor at night as I went for a short run around the city of Preston afforded very decent visuals.

After the comparison video, I have placed stills from the other two dashcams, plus from my Nextbase dashcam (set at 1440p, not 4K (keeps it fair)) and the Oumax does well enough. Below the Oumax videos, are stills from that cam showing number plates.

Night Video:

Rear Cam:

Picture in Picture:

Stills comparisons:

Nextbase:
UCLAN_Sign_NextbaseA-L.jpg

B1W:
UCLAN_Sign_B1WA-L.jpg

Z-Edge Z3 Plus:
UCLAN_Sign_Z_EdgeA-L.jpg

Oumax RV55HD-M
UCLAN_Sign_OumaxA-L.jpg

Number plates from the Oumax:
O3A-L.jpg

O4A-L.jpg

I have to say, this all in all is a very good package. There are others out there similar to it, whether this is better or not I don't know, but I have to say, I like this very much. I showed some videos to a friend on my Samsung mobile via YouTube, and they looked excellent, especially impressing him with the night time clip.

I therefore have no hesitation in recommending the Oumax RV55HD-M if you are in the market for this type of dashcam.

Available from the Oumax Official sellers on Amazon.com

# I have not yet wired the rear cam up for reversing (and watching on the mirror). This will be done in due course.

Here is a link to the excellent manual pdf file: https://mega.nz/#!QTJnkS5S

*Please note, I am not a professional reviewer, and as such you must accept this to be as is.

Last edited:
If it is an OV2718 sensor that maxes out at 1080p so the 1296p is upsampled.

They shouldn't be allowed to sell it as Ultra HD as that would be 3840x2160 which this isn't and that's naughty marketing from Oumax :)

If it is an OV2718 sensor that maxes out at 1080p so the 1296p is upsampled.

They shouldn't be allowed to sell it as Ultra HD as that would be 3840x2160 which this isn't and that's naughty marketing from Oumax :)

Video shows 1296p Reverend. Hence why I intimated it may be a variant on the one I was able to find any details on.

frame.jpg

The sensor is only 2MP so it's getting upsampled by the Mstar chip.

No offence to Oumax but there are better options for $109.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old4570 Dash Cam Reviews 5
Back