Outside views of mounted dash cams

quazi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed that nobody, company or member posts images of their cameras from outside the car. I am interested in this to show which camera is the least obvious to a potential thief. Any shots would be appreciated

Often when I take pictures from outside my car, I find windscreen reflections and the darkness inside the car compared to bright outdoor light make the cameras difficult to see - and my windows aren't heavily tinted.

I'll take some pictures for you later.

You'll find there's a lot of variation in both cars and cams which means it won't be as easy as saying 'xxxxxx is discreet or yyyyyy is not discreet' because it will depend on the car/cam combination.

In the meantime, some of the least visible are the small cameras, such as SGZC12RC, JooVuu, Mobius. Cars with large rain/light sensor housings are difficult to mount anything else discreetly.

Occasionally a camera can be neatly tucked near the stippling and rear view mirror where its black casing blends in with the black mirror surround.

Sometimes non-OEM mounts can be sourced which increase mounting options. I've been using some 1/4" threaded photography-related adapters to improve my mounting options for cams like JooVuu or Mobius. I'll try to get some pictures of those later too.

Some cameras have a shiny silver ring around their lens, or white writing/logo on their casing, which makes them very obvious. A black marker pen is useful for covering the silver/white.

The position of the lens on the camera body can facilitate or hamper discreet mounting, depending on the design of the car you're trying to fit the cam into.

Anything that dangles off a suction cup or an adhesive ball-joint mount will be a lot less discreet than a wedge shaped design. The wedge design sticks to the windshield on the black dotted area with just the lens visible from the outside.

IMO most cameras of the discreet variety too are a lot more conspicuous when installed in the rear. Hence smaller is better.

SG9665GC - front

gc55.png

Mobius - rear

mobius12.png

Not the best of pics to show stealth as both were taken with a CPL on the camera intending to capture the dash cams clearly. Will post more pics later.

Last edited:
No thank you they are good, I am torn between think ware x550 and f770, the former being more camera style the later more discreet but no screen

No thank you they are good, I am torn between think ware x550 and f770, the former being more camera style the later more discreet but no screen

the X550 is very obvious when mounted, even though it has no screen the F770 is much less obvious and less likely to be a theft target

Thanks joking, took the plunge, f50 for now, got to find a cpl filter to fit it now. Thanks everybody :) . going to lie down in a dark room now, have I done the right thing, what about the f770, what if some other company brings something out cheaper and better, what if i blow my car up when I wire it up.

As an aside does anyone recommend what to set the minimum battery level to cut off power, 2015 skoda yeti, 1.2 petrol.

Apart from initial setup to align the camera you should not really need a screen. Also bear in mind that here in the UK we are not permitted by law to have a live view of the road ahead whilst driving, despite that being the default setting on many cameras. So if you do go for a dashcam with a screen, ensure that it can function with it turned off.

How come the police have speed cameras with a 'live' view of the road, I think it might be more illegal to obstruct the view of the driver if an accident occurs, or to distract the driver causing an accident i.e. sect 2 or 3 RTA 1972/1988. The driver should not be able to see the screen I agree, sect 109 of the 'Road Vehicle( Construction and Use )Regulations 1986,
109.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a)about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b)about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c)to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d)to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.
So I guess you could get away with an LCD/LED device? ;):D

I think the law is basically the same as what we have, information screens are ok, entertainment screens are not, aside from the rules screen on while driving is a distraction you wouldn't want anyway, particularly at night, 99% of cameras with screens have a function to turn the screen off automatically so not really an issue

I agree with what you are saying, my only point about a screen as being slightly less tech savvy, people might find being able to navigate the on screen prompts easier than wi-fi or computer set ups. Also actually mounting it correctly might be easier.
So I guess you could get away with an LCD/LED device? ;):D
Exactly what I thought, I am surprised they didn't mention the valves, I have this vision of an 80's CRT 32" sony tv sitting on someones dash and a huge great VHS-C camcorder being clamped to the window:)

And don't forget to blank out the face of the bloke thats walking in front with the red flag!!

I agree with what you are saying, my only point about a screen as being slightly less tech savvy, people might find being able to navigate the on screen prompts easier than wi-fi or computer set ups. Also actually mounting it correctly might be easier.
cameras with screens are far more user friendly

Thats the phrase I was looking for !!!!

cameras with screens are far more user friendly
I disagree. Once aimed, the only real utility of a screen is in reviewing vids, and that is better done on a device with a larger screen. People perceive the screen as somehow adding value, when in actuality it only makes the cam more complex and adds to it's self-generated heat. Perception of value does not always add real value except when marketing is considered. For a cam that's going to be switched between cars it is useful, otherwise it's a waste.

Phil

I disagree. Once aimed, the only real utility of a screen is in reviewing vids, and that is better done on a device with a larger screen. People perceive the screen as somehow adding value, when in actuality it only makes the cam more complex and adds to it's self-generated heat. Perception of value does not always add real value except when marketing is considered. For a cam that's going to be switched between cars it is useful, otherwise it's a waste.

Phil

once setup you don't need the screen, however, cameras with screens are far easier to deal with, formatting cards, any error messages, confirming status of recording, mic on or off etc, not every user is tech savvy and there are far less support issues from people with cameras with screens, screen only needs to come on briefly when started or when needed and doesn't add any heat unless left on which is best not done anyway

I think the law is basically the same as what we have, information screens are ok, entertainment screens are not, aside from the rules screen on while driving is a distraction you wouldn't want anyway, particularly at night, 99% of cameras with screens have a function to turn the screen off automatically so not really an issue
I've seen a number of drivers with the screen on showing the road ahead - usually bang in the middle of the windscreen too. So it's an obstruction and a distraction.

Jokin, I see and respect your point, but I see little difference as you still have a way of noting errors (led blinks or colors) and you can still format cards in-cam as long as you remember how to do it. Which I'll admit having forgotten how to do with my Mobius- I just bring that cam to my desk and use the GUI on the PC :p There's not a large difference to me, that's all.

Phil

I've seen a number of drivers with the screen on showing the road ahead - usually bang in the middle of the windscreen too. So it's an obstruction and a distraction.

I've seen them as well, I don't really understand the logic behind wanting to leave them on all the time

Back