Overall video quality

mj1985

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hey,

I ordered my A229 in June and using it since July. My prior Dashcam was a A129 Plus (the first model). I mainly ordered the camera because of the thin cable for the rear dashcam and of course the better video quality / higher resolution.

After a couple of month, including reseating the camera to a lower spot in the windshield I'm still not satisfied at all with the camera, especially license plate reading. I'm using a CPL-Filter.

Some screencaps of the A229:

A129 (same car)

Comparing the last image of the A229 and the A129 and there is so much noise at the traffic sign, the license plate of the car in front of me is white.

I already tried different settings video settings (2560 * 1440P 30fps + 2560 * 1440P 30fps & 1920 * 1080P 30fps + 1920 * 1080P 30fps).
Is there anything else in the settings I might messed up (I didn't changed much). Sometimes I got the feeling the focus is not right, even at best light, the image is not very clear - compared to the A129.

Your camera angle seem lower on the A129. See if adjusting the A229 lens down a little helps.

The last pic from the A229 (with the sign), your windshield seems a little dirty. Maybe reclean all the glass and lenses.

Also, your day shots are very different between the two. Need to compare the same/similar environments to really judge between the two, though side by side it always best.

The first image of the A129 has almost the same angle, I adjusted it 2 months after fitting in the new car, because the angle wasn't perfect. But I'll definitely try to lower the angle on the A229.
The windshield on the last A129 is a little bit dirty, too and I also got no problems with the cam in my old car, which had a heated windshield.

Maybe I can setup a side-by-side next week and I will definitely check the lenses for dirt (I never cleaned the lens of the A129 in all the years :unsure:)

Yes dashcams are still far from where it would be nice they would be.
Your first picture, as you are in a trench of trees, the camera have adjusted to that darker look and so the exposure time are too low for the speeds, i also oftes see this, and you can actually experience this on the best day of the summer in the midle of the day with clear blue skies.

Other days though marginal in regard to light level, i have seen almost all plates captured, only to experience the next day with what i feel like are similar conditions but now i barely capture one plate.
This have often made me thing of cameras are able to choose a unfortunate exposure parameter, but really i think there have probably been differences in light levels, just not something i have been able to tell with the human eye.

To compare 2 cameras you really need to have them side by side at the same time.

I like the 1440p cameras on the IMX 335 sensor, i dont feel like i have lost a lot compared to the best 1080p cameras i have tested.

Hey,

I ordered my A229 in June and using it since July. My prior Dashcam was a A129 Plus (the first model). I mainly ordered the camera because of the thin cable for the rear dashcam and of course the better video quality / higher resolution.

After a couple of month, including reseating the camera to a lower spot in the windshield I'm still not satisfied at all with the camera, especially license plate reading. I'm using a CPL-Filter.

Some screencaps of the A229:

A129 (same car)

Comparing the last image of the A229 and the A129 and there is so much noise at the traffic sign, the license plate of the car in front of me is white.

I already tried different settings video settings (2560 * 1440P 30fps + 2560 * 1440P 30fps & 1920 * 1080P 30fps + 1920 * 1080P 30fps).
Is there anything else in the settings I might messed up (I didn't changed much). Sometimes I got the feeling the focus is not right, even at best light, the image is not very clear - compared to the A129.

Hi mj1985

you are not alone on this, I reported the same issue in this forum back in October.

my previous camera a119 v3 had better video performance and license plate reading that this a229 crap.

I hope its only a bad SW optimization by Viofo and not a HW limitation.

Get a single channel A139 Pro, and put your A229 front unit on the rear window next to the A229 Rear camera, and adjust the A229 rear camera to show the passenger compartment as a "bonus cam". lol
Check out my latest HDR license plate reading test of the A139 Pro vs. A229 / A119 Mini / A129 Pro.
-Chuck

Attachments

• A119 Mini .png
    A119 Mini .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • A129 Pro .png
    A129 Pro .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • A139 Pro .png
    A139 Pro .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • A229 .png
    A229 .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
You do loose some when ( not know if it is like this ) but when same hardware have to pull 2 cameras instead of just 1.
It is like your car drive better in any way alone VS when you town a trailer.

Thanks @Panzer Platform for the recommendation, buying another cam, just after months of buying the A229 is frustrating.
I'm doing a side by side comparison with the A129 Duo right now. I will pull the SD cards tomorrow and compare.

I already saw the new A139 Pro, I don't need a passenger cam, just a good duo cam with a thin cable to the rear cam.

Then buy two A139 Pro's, one for front, and one for rear.
Just kidding, I feel your pain. lol
You dropped a load of cash at the wrong time.
-Chuck

Not sure if any modders working on the A229, as they most always show there are gains to be made.

In my testing i have found the A229 to perform exactly like other dual 1440p cameras i have tested, down to the little things like every 10 - 15 frame being of perfect quality with no blocking it it at all.
And that blocking are annoying cuz what it mean is you are still locked to a possible plate capture on the very last 2 framed before the other car pass out of view, where i feel if the blocking was not there or at least a lot less you would have 5 - 6 frames where a plate capture should be possible.
Which to me is a massive gain / uplift,,,,,, but the price are more bitrate / heat generated.

On all of these 1440p cameras i have had plate captures further out, but then it is for sure a bright sunny day and with minimal foliage at the side of the road,,,,,,, or i could have been lucky and just have one of these 1 in 10 - 15 frames be there at the time.
But in general the on coming car are very close to being at a 45 degree angle to my camera, with just 1 more plate capture but then very sideways on the plate so this last chance are most often not of any use.

During your use of the A229, have you ever seen the number plate of an oncoming car?:unsure:
CPL=on, EV=-0,3.jpg

@Karagandinez
Yes, a couple but a very low percentage rate, most of them are blurry, especially when driving (even on slow speed -> 40-50 km/h and good weather)

Lenses and filters are clean, I checked and cleaned them today. There were no dust or any fingerprint.

Possibly a focus problem. I have the opportunity to drive up to a brick building and on it in sunny weather from 50 meters I check the lens setting.

Sunny weather might be a problem at the moment, but I'll keep that in mind and a brick building shouldn't be a problem to find.

It is advisable to do this after purchase.
Incorrectly adjusted lens focus is covered under warranty.

Get a single channel A139 Pro, and put your A229 front unit on the rear window next to the A229 Rear camera, and adjust the A229 rear camera to show the passenger compartment as a "bonus cam". lol
Check out my latest HDR license plate reading test of the A139 Pro vs. A229 / A119 Mini / A129 Pro.
-Chuck
That test is outstanding. Simple and clear, not to mention easier than driving testing, lol. Do you mind if I do a similar test for my A139 video and give you a shoutout for the idea?

Yeah it seem to do the job, even if its a flashlight and not a headlight, but IMO thats like comparing espresso VS double espresso, so i can live with that as i have never had either of those foul things. :LOL:

My 229 do plates just fine.

-Chuck

I like how no matter which camera you are testing and no matter how blown out the plate looks when illuminated by the flashlight you can still read the license plate in the reflections on the paint of the car's hood. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D A229 / A229 Duo 4
Back