Overheat issues in parking mode

Drakov

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, new here and was seeing if anyone has tried placing heatsinks on the 750lte to reduce the frequency of the overheat shutdowns. Only reason I ask is that some folks with the 900s were able to lower the temps with them. As the 750 is larger and has more ventilation just seeing if it it will make a difference by adding the heatsinks.

Some ideas:

Hi, new here and was seeing if anyone has tried placing heatsinks on the 750lte to reduce the frequency of the overheat shutdowns. Only reason I ask is that some folks with the 900s were able to lower the temps with them. As the 750 is larger and has more ventilation just seeing if it it will make a difference by adding the heatsinks.
does it shutdown when driving, or only when in parking mode?

what options do you have available for parking mode and which are you using?

is it cloud connected constantly while parked?

what options do you have available for parking mode and which are you using?

is it cloud connected constantly while parked?
Options are motion and time lapse. It happens regardless of the setting but I have it currently set on time lapse as there is a lot of motion where I park at work.

I have it connected to the cloud at all times unless the connection fails which can be often...

time-lapse is generally fairly low heat although I'm not sure what their implementation of it is like on this model so can't say for sure, it will run constantly whereas motion detect (even if there is a lot of movement) is likely to get a break from recording at times so can run cooler overall as a result, particularly if you can get the sensitivity down low enough to still be workable

take it you're parked outdoors when this is happening, you don't put any kind of sunshade in the window when you park at all do you?

I had motion set at 1 and it was basically recording all the time which is the reason I changed it to time lapse. There were some breaks so I may change it back to motion and check how often it shuts down.

Yeah. car is parked outside with no sunshade. I face away from the afternoon sun but still not enough.

yeah don't use a sunshade, good that you don't anyway

motion detect and adding a heatsink to the tube might be enough to get it working on those hotter days, some others had some success with adding heatsinks to the other models, there's a thread here someone in the one of the Blackvue sections documenting that which may be useful for you

Yeah, I saw that thread regarding the heat sinks but wasn't sure which type would be best with the added built in vents of this one.

Just drill a few holes in the racing car motor heatsinks if they are blocking ventilation in the camera.

Any heatsink is better than no heatsink, internal as well if possible!

These custom external and internal heatsinks on an air compressor makes a massive difference. The outside heatsinks have silicone thermal paste between the surfaces. The internal RC heatsinks do not have much contact but anything is better than nothing.
MG_9289-heatsink.jpg

Probably a bit of trial and error to work out what's going to work best I guess when you're the first one to try it on this model
Trial & error... lots of it. My earlier heatsink trials with RC heatsinks (blue) & added 2 other heatsinks. Then the earlier photo was an improved version.
IMG_3048.jpg

On the right of this photo a high volume 120mm fan added to compressors to increase cooling effectiveness.

One just needs to think a bit and experiment with cooling options for cameras. At the very least it may slow down Alzheimer's and keep you off the streets so to speak!
2-of-3-compressors-2.jpg
This is just the start of cooling experiments here.

So a few heatsinks & a fan on your cameras will test your grey matter!

In Australia RS online and Element 14 have a lot of heatsinks.

If you want to cut heatsinks to size these tools work a treat. The 76mm angle grinder's first cut through 60 x 3 steel pipe is 2 minutes. Handy for all sorts of things including overhead work like grinding back rusty archbars to save your arms after an hour!

IMG_20210713_095913275~2.jpg

For 36mm OD motors you need RC motor 540 or 550 heatsinks. There are lot of options with or without fans. If you use fans add a resistor to reduce speed. Or chuck out the small fan and add a 40mm Noctua fan, as you will have easy mounting options.

Option without fan:

Screenshot_20210713-122727~2.png

I actually used a similar 540 motor heatsink (red as it was the cheapest) in the earlier post. I had to massage it a bit, and 2 to make up the internal circumference x three rows. Then force pressed into the tube for as much contact as possible. These heatsinks are very stiff so clamp on tightly. They are cheap enough to buy a few types to experiment with.

Thanks, gonna buy some once I can find them in stock and will see what I can come up with.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K DR750-2CH LTE 4
Back