Overheat Shutdown?

swatchie

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi, i live in a hot country. During mid-way driving to a destination, i can hear the 70mai a800 turning off with its sound. I suspect it's due to overheating. Anybody experience such auto-shutdown issues?

Thermal shut down are pretty normal if you use parking mode and are parked in a sunny place, but it happening during regular driving where you might even have aircon going if you are in one of the hotter climates are not something i recall hearing much about.

Never had it happen to me with the cameras i have used, but of course where i live even the very best summer days are colder than the average Singapore summer day i recon.
Though when i visited the wonderful place that is Singapore the temperatures was fairly relaxed so me walking around was pretty comfortable.

What memory card are you using in the camera ?

Hi kamkar, thanks for your kind reply. Good to know thermal shut downs are normal. During late afternoons when it's hot, whenever I touch the A800's sides, they are really hot that you will quickly move your fingers away. I'm concerned the batteries may wear off very quickly. On hindsight, i'm starting to regret not getting the AIOFO dashcams which uses capacitors instead of batteries. I also suspect recording at 4K produces lots of heat. Will lowering down the resolution decrease the heat?

The memory card i'm using is San Disk ultra 128gb. So far, it's good. How about you?

Dashcams can indeed get pretty hot and still work, in regular driving circumstances.
But parked with the additional heat of the sun, and no ventilation or aircon going, and then the camera also on in parking mode generating its own heat, then things can reach critical.

The battery based cameras will be a problem with heat, though even here some are better than others, but yes in a place with extreme high or low temperatures capacitor cameras is the best option.
You can also put a new battery in the camera, but it do of course demand some DIY skills and tools to take it apart, and not all people can do that or are willing to do that.

My little Japanese car dont even have aircon, it is that cheap, even came without a radio too. but i have never had a camera shut down during regular operation, but of course Denmark only go to 30 deg C on the best of summer days, Singapore can beat that with its eyes closed, and probably at night too in the summer.

I still have quite a few 64GB memory cards, as those are cheaper to buy and i need a lot of the relevant memory cards to be able to test for memory card compatibility in the cameras i am sent to test.
But in general now i use 128 GB cards and 256GB cards in the permanent cameras in my car.

I do not have this particular camera, i have never tried one of the 70mai cameras.

Hi, i live in a hot country. During mid-way driving to a destination, i can hear the 70mai a800 turning off with its sound. I suspect it's due to overheating. Anybody experience such auto-shutdown issues?
Im from singapore too, but never had issue with mid-way shutdown.

Yes in the middle of a drive is bad, you should contact seller CUZ that should not be happening.
Some times a heatsink can be installed bad and so the unit can not dissipate heat as it should, it take so little with these things.

Back