Overheating?

in2ndo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All.
Had the BV900 2ch for about a week.
I live in Southern California and is not summer yet. Last weekend the truck was parked for about 1/2 hour in 74 degree weather. Not facing the sun but not under shade either. And it started shutting down after sending me a message stating it was overheating.
The seller is sending me a replacement but was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.
Previously I had a thinkware F800 and never had an overheating problem in 110 degree summer days.

BlackVue boasts operational temps as:
-20 °C − 70 °C (-4 °F − 158 °F)

But mind you it could be a lot hotter in your car vs the temp outside.

Still, doubt it'd be hot enough to create an issue so hopefully, your replacement functions better.

Haven't heard of any heat issues yet, personally.

Must be your unit. I live in Florida and right now the temperature is in the high 80s and my unit is doing just fine, knock on wood. Inside the car the temperature is much hotter of course.

Hi All.
Had the BV900 2ch for about a week.
I live in Southern California and is not summer yet. Last weekend the truck was parked for about 1/2 hour in 74 degree weather. Not facing the sun but not under shade either. And it started shutting down after sending me a message stating it was overheating.
The seller is sending me a replacement but was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.
Previously I had a thinkware F800 and never had an overheating problem in 110 degree summer days.
That's exactly the case with the DR900S, it has lower temperature tolerance than the DR750S. I'm currently using DR900S alongside DR750S in my car and noticed it quite quickly overheats and shuts down compared to DR750S. We currently have ~30C heat wave in Poland, so while car is parked under the sun, the dashcam case gets approx. 70-80C hot. While DR900S shuts down, DR750S seems to work fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

If you run parking guard on a summer day, no wonder its shutting down.

Thats one of the downsides of parking guard, you cant trust it to run in hot weather where the sun alone will easy push the camera up against the MAX temperature, and if the camera then have to be running too that just aggregate the problem.

The only issue i can se to this problem is to have a dashcam with the camera units remote, and then a main unit you can put in a shaded place of the car, and that main unit have extraordinary good cooling ( a true heat-sink maybe even a heat-pipe )
A camera on the windscreen thats never going to work on summer days, at least not unless you also make that camera bigger due to massive cooler.

That's exactly the case with the DR900S, it has lower temperature tolerance than the DR750S. I'm currently using DR900S alongside DR750S in my car and noticed it quite quickly overheats and shuts down compared to DR750S. We currently have ~30C heat wave in Poland, so while car is parked under the sun, the dashcam case gets approx. 70-80C hot. While DR900S shuts down, DR750S seems to work fine.

as a test try setting the 900 to the same resolution and bitrate as the 750 and see if it still shuts down sooner or not

as a test try setting the 900 to the same resolution and bitrate as the 750 and see if it still shuts down sooner or not
Been there done that. No difference.

Check the BV specs, it quite clearly states lower working temperature threshold for the DR900S actually.

Check the BV specs, it quite clearly states lower working temperature threshold for the DR900S actually.

They are both listed as 70℃ ?

They are both listed as 70℃ ?

High Temperature Cut Off is listed at 75C for DR900S and at 80C for DR750S. However according to my observations, DR900S is cutting off power when its case reaches approx. 65-70C, while DR750S is working fine while case is hitting nearly 80C.

Had mine shut down after about 30 minutes in my car. I had sunshade in the front window and the windows are heavily tinted but granted it was 90F outside but I expected it to run longer than it did. The inside of the car was not that hot but the outer casing of the cam was.

Had mine shut down after about 30 minutes in my car. I had sunshade in the front window and the windows are heavily tinted but granted it was 90F outside but I expected it to run longer than it did. The inside of the car was not that hot but the outer casing of the cam was.

If the camera was on the outside of the sunshade I would expect to get hotter even faster.

If the camera was on the outside of the sunshade I would expect to get hotter even faster.
Well sure, having it on the inside of the shade serves no purpose. I'm going to try to devise a shade of some sort to cover all but the lens to see if it will operate more than 30 minutes or so.

Wonderful... I have a dr900 coming this week and it's supposed to mid 90's to 100!

What a first impression.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Well sure, having it on the inside of the shade serves no purpose. I'm going to try to devise a shade of some sort to cover all but the lens to see if it will operate more than 30 minutes or so.

Well rear cam would still record, depending on how you are parked it may be enough. Just saying the sunshade is reflecting the sun back into the cam. A sunshade cover for it is a good idea though.

Well rear cam would still record, depending on how you are parked it may be enough. Just saying the sunshade is reflecting the sun back into the cam. A sunshade cover for it is a good idea though.

No, the sunshade is sitting directly underneath the cam right up against the windshield, so no reflection back to the cam. The shade is a covercraft made for my car so has the cutouts in the right places.

How far up on your windshield is it mounted?

In a parked park, it gets really, really hot. On a ~90F day in SoCal, I came back to my F800 pro and DR750S overheated. Grabbed my laser thermometer, and measured 180F.

Does your car have the tint strip or black dotted area? I always try to tuck my dashcams in those areas, but not all my cars have that.

How far up on your windshield is it mounted?

In a parked park, it gets really, really hot. On a ~90F day in SoCal, I came back to my F800 pro and DR750S overheated. Grabbed my laser thermometer, and measured 180F.

Does your car have the tint strip or black dotted area? I always try to tuck my dashcams in those areas, but not all my cars have that.

I have it right up against the headliner, and yes the mounting plate is on the tint (black dots). It gets pretty hot here in south Texas so I'm not optimistic of it running for very long while parked.

Reactions: RLS
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 19
V DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 22
Back