Owlcam OBD2 power issues

njlocoman

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had an Owlcam dash cam since 8/18. In my previous car, 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe, the OBD2 power supply could be used to power the camera for up to 72 hours when the car was parked. In my new vehicle, 2020 Hyundai palisade, after a few minutes of the vehicle being turned off, the power to the camera is disrupted. If I do any operation remotely (lock the doors, check status, etc) the camera power supply comes back on for a while, then powers back down. I like the parked car camera, but it's no longer working! Any suggestions? None of my power outlets in the car are on when the car is off!

...Any suggestions? None of my power outlets in the car are on when the car is off!
If it's the case that all circuits are dead when the car is off your only option is a separate power supply independent from the car. That said, are you sure all circuits are dead? If your remotes work there's at least one live circuit to receive the signal from the fob. Will require hard wiring versus using any of the power outlets though.

Last edited:
Yep- many new cars use a similar computer-controlled power scheme so finding appropriate circuits to use can be as fun as getting a tooth pulled out :rolleyes: You'll need to use a DVM placed where it can be seen from outside of the car to test circuits, as anything electrical will "wake up" the dormant computer (such as unlocking or opening a door or cycling an alarm system). Those delayed power shutdowns may take as much 20 minutes to happen and can affect any circuit except the one for remote locking and alarm functions. And on some cars even that can set off a "check engine" light and store a trouble code because the computer detected an unexpected power drain o_O

Phil

Back