Pads to Cure Intermittent Contacts on Early A119 Dashcams and GPS Modules

Skeezix

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119
How can the pads that were made to stick on the back of the early A119 dashcams cure the intermittent contact that often occurs when the dashcam is mounted on a GPS module?

It appears to me that attaching the pad just separates the dashcam from the GPS module, thus exasperating the intermittent contact condition.

I think those pads only cure rattle in the mount, i have never seen them mentioned as fixers of the GPS mount issues that have plagued some viofo models.

How can the pads that were made to stick on the back of the early A119 dashcams cure the intermittent contact that often occurs when the dashcam is mounted on a GPS module?

It appears to me that attaching the pad just separates the dashcam from the GPS module, thus exasperating the intermittent contact condition.
They reduce movement/rattle which is the problem. If the pads where to thick then it might prevent contact but they would need to be about 5mm thick and you won't get anything like that in that space as it has to interlock so only a small amount of space is available.

I put a pad on my A119 but it didn't cure anything, so I just plugged the cord into the A119 instead of the GPS module.

I recently received another A119 and GPS module, and noticed that the fit is pretty loose. Am I right in assuming that the rattle you mentioned is between the GPS module and the A119?

I put a pad on my A119 but it didn't cure anything, so I just plugged the cord into the A119 instead of the GPS module.

I recently received another A119 and GPS module, and noticed that the fit is pretty loose. Am I right in assuming that the rattle you mentioned is between the GPS module and the A119?
Have you seen this thread it might give you some ideas. In my case I used whittled down tooth picks to stop the movements.
It is a common problem something they addressed in later design.
It was the “ solution “ to plug the power into the camera instead of the gps. However you may get intermittent gps info. It is a pain really.

Have a look here re using the pads.
Post in thread 'Power failing to camera when using GPS mount'
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/power-failing-to-camera-when-using-gps-mount.28785/post-421543

I checked my records and in 2017 I bought and installed an EVA foam pad. Didn't work, dashcam still turned off and back on, so I just plugged the power cable into the A119 and haven't had a problem since (and I drive on a lot of SE Utah and Nevada mountain roads and 2-trails).

I dont remember when, but Viofo did change the contact pads between the mount and camera as there was problems with the old stuff forcing people to plug into the camera instead of the mount.
The newer cameras i have gotten the opportunity to beat on by Viofo do have the power plugin into the camera and not the mount.
The contacts are still there CUZ at least on the A139 the GPS are still in the mount.

I checked my records and in 2017 I bought and installed an EVA foam pad. Didn't work, dashcam still turned off and back on, so I just plugged the power cable into the A119 and haven't had a problem since (and I drive on a lot of SE Utah and Nevada mountain roads and 2-trails).
If you'd like to try the method mentioned by LateralNW. We can send you some foam pads to try.

Reactions: gse
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S A119 14
Back