[PanoIIS] GPS module no longer working

lankyduke

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Powerucc PanoramaII
Hi all.
I have a PanoIIS with external GPS module and a month ago I noticed it no longer works.
At the time I noticed the plug was only 3/4 of the way in. It wasn't fully clicked in. But now even when plugged in properly the LCD status icon stays orange and never locks on to the satellites.

I'll have to look later to see if the light on the dongle is still flashing, but I haven't noticed recently, so I doubt it.

Either I've electrically fried the unit, or heat killed it.

I need to buy a new one. Who here sells replacement units? SHPKorea is currently offline on eBay...

That's strange. Where / when did you buy the original? If you've exhusted all troubleshooting I can supply you with a new GPS antenna and or Panorama S.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I read on here that there's a battery in these GPS dongles to help with hot / warm starts and some folks who had them fail managed to recover them by removing the battery inside the GPS unit?

If it's knackered it's worth a look maybe?

Got mine off eBay from SHPKorea.
I wasn't aware of an internal battery in the GPS unit. Might open it up and have a look.
My camera is hard wired in to my car with a BDP device, so I wouldn't have thought an internal battery would be a problem.
It's also parked outside 24/7 so always visible to the sky.

I read it on here ages ago but it's just a tiny battery in the GPS unit - I can't find the post but either the GPS has saved invalid data or the battery is on it's way out and causing other problems.

If it's not working it's worth a go, and if that doesn't work @Pier28 can sort you out with a new one :)

Hey guys,

My Pano's GPS module also stopped working about a week ago. I've gone to through the videos to track how long have I been driving without the GPS coordinates going and it appears to have stopped about a week or so ago.

It has worked absolutely fine up until now, and I've noticed that in the last month or so - it would take a definitely longer time to get a satellite lock - until now when it fails to do so at all.

The little antenna GPS icon on the screen never turns green - stays yellow/orange, and there are no coordinates in the lower part of the screen.

I've had a quick look inside the the GPS antenna - and I can't see anything wrong with it. There's a tiny battery which when the GPS unit is disconnected, measures 2.91V across the terminals.

Anyone know what's happening with it?

Bought it from SHPKorea off ebay on Mar 15, 2014. The GPS unit's model number reads: SGM-2528. Manufactured by knctek.co.kr. It's a small, rectangular box with a blue led at the opposite end of where the cable enters the box.

Not much you can do with that small rectangle one, time to replace it I think. I can cut you a deal on a replacement with the longer wire and bigger receiver antenna. I'll send a private message.

Oh well … I guess if it needs to be replaced - it will have to be replaced.

Oh, thanks for the notification - I didn't know my profile was locked. I think I've unlocked it now.

I think I remember reading a long time ago it will come back to life if you remove the battery all together. (will have slow locks every time, but might work try it)

Yep - de-soldering the battery does solve the problem. :cool:

The satellite lock takes about 35-40 seconds (as opposed to about 7-8) but it's back to being an operational unit.
In 40 seconds I'm barely around the corner of my back street, still travelling at maximum 20km/h.

That being said - I'm still contemplating a second camera for the other car.;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hometechnc II / S 7
Back