Panorama G question - moving files to EVENT

TomPierce

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for the noob question, but I'm a noob :)

After a G-shock or a request to move the current file to the EVENT directory, there is a countdown on the screen (I assume as the copy is being made).

Is the camera also recording the next file at the same time as the current file is being moved? I am assuming that it is recording then next file (in which case why do you need a countdown?)

It was unclear from the unboxing video what exactly is happening while the countdown is on the screen.

Thanks!

I do wish it would leave the files in the main directory and just create a COPY in the EVENT Directory.

Once you review the Video it creates a Gap since those files are now missing out of the reg. directory.

yes it is still recording

Thank you for the quick response.

A follow up question if I may --

While the countdown is on the screen and the current file is being copied to /EVENT, what happens if another G-shock occurs? Will this trigger the new file to also be copied, or is the copy flagging (or copying) disabled during a copy?

Imagine this scenario - I smash into the guardrail and launch into the air :) The G-shock will cause the 'current file' to be copied - as that copy is in progress, I fly through the air and hit the ground. Will the 'new file' be flagged to be copied / moved when I hit the ground because of the G=shock, or will I have to remember to request it manually? (or make sure I fly through the air for longer than it take to do a file copy? :) )

I don't have the device in hand yet to test it (and I haven't found the right guardrail yet...) so I thought I'd ask here.

if the new event happened after the current one it would be another event, if it happens while it's still recording the event then it's recorded anyway

it should group the files automatically
Correct it does.
But the camera moves the file to the Event Folder when an Event is Triggered or Event Button is pressed so that leaves a Gap in the Grouping of the files.

Correct it does.
But the camera moves the file to the Event Folder when an Event is Triggered or Event Button is pressed so that leaves a Gap in the Grouping of the files.
no I meant Registrator Viewer should group them based on file name, not folder location

if the new event happened after the current one it would be another event, if it happens while it's still recording the event then it's recorded anyway

I'm sorry - I don't understand your answer. Perhaps I am making an incorrect assumption about how it works.

no I meant Registrator Viewer should group them based on file name, not folder location
Ah thanks, I usually don't select the folder.

Here is what I was assuming:

Camera is recording normally
When an event happens the current file stops recording immediately, the new file starts recording and the older file begins the move to /EVENT

Is this incorrect?

Incorrect, in that case the file would end at an event, a triggered event will give you some detail from prior to the event as well as after

I may be a relative newbie as far as dashcams are concerned, but I have great deal of experience with all sizes of computers and various file systems used therein.

I believe that the OP TomPierce is suffering from a very basic incorrect assumption. The first thing is that when a file is 'moved' from one folder to another, the file is not physically copied. All that happens is that the file is re-logged in the File Allocation Table (FAT) as now belonging to a different 'master', ie a different folder. This takes a fraction of a second to do as it is only a few bytes of data in the FAT that is being modified. Therefore, the countdown that the OP sees on the screen after an 'event' is not the time it takes to copy the file to the /Event folder. During this countdown, starting at the time of the 'event', all data is being recorded in the /Event folder. At the end of the countdown, recording reverts back to the /Video folder. At the time of the 'event', the system also takes a certain amount of data immediately prior to the 'event' and also records this in the /Event folder - I do not know if the system does this from the buffers or again 'moves' data from one folder to another, but either way, it takes only milliseconds (or even shorter time!!) to accomplish.

So in the OP's guardrail/flight/ground scenario, I would presume that the camera would continue to record into the /Event folder during the 'flight' phase, and a new 'event' start when the 'ground' phase started. Should the 'flight' phase be longer than the countdown, then the whole situation is rather academic as there won't be a lot left of the car, camera or driver when the ground is eventually hit :eek::eek::eek:

This is how I see it working, and have tried to explain in (relatively) simple English. If it is wrong, will the experts please shoot me down gently:confused::confused:

Del

Research on this forum has yielded the answer. When an event happens the countdown timer is started. Nothing else happens. The camera continues to record the current file. When the timer expires, the current file being recorded (which includes the event) is placed in the /Event folder and a new file is started.

Back