Panorama II creating zero byte files on start up

Noel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a quick question regarding my Panorama II that arrived this week.

It appears that every journey starts off with a 0 byte file. When I plug the camera in, it starts up but doesn't immediately start regarding. The recording symbol is green for about 3 seconds and then starts to flash red and starts recording, after about another 10 seconds the camera bleeps and the flashing red recording symbol goes back to green for about another second or two and then back to flashing red recording. It's then fine for the rest of my journey.

This seems to happen when the camera has been off for several hours. If the camera is left off for a short time, say 30 minutes then it will power up and start recording straight away, but after a few seconds the recording light will stop and go green for a few seconds and then resume recording again.

The About screen reads

GLG300

Firmware 1.08.05
2013-05-14 12:00

If anybody has experienced this or may know what the problem is I would appreciate any help.

Many thanks,

Noel.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to you or not, but I've noticed with mine that the recording doesn't start until the capacitor is recharged. It seems to take about 5-10 seconds after I start the car. A green icon will show up in the middle of the screen showing that the capacitor is charged and then the blue LED starts flashing to indicate it's recording. I haven't looked to see if my camera creates any 0 byte files though.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a quick question regarding my Panorama II that arrived this week.

It appears that every journey starts off with a 0 byte file. When I plug the camera in, it starts up but doesn't immediately start regarding. The recording symbol is green for about 3 seconds and then starts to flash red and starts recording, after about another 10 seconds the camera bleeps and the flashing red recording symbol goes back to green for about another second or two and then back to flashing red recording. It's then fine for the rest of my journey.

This seems to happen when the camera has been off for several hours. If the camera is left off for a short time, say 30 minutes then it will power up and start recording straight away, but after a few seconds the recording light will stop and go green for a few seconds and then resume recording again.

The About screen reads

GLG300

Firmware 1.08.05
2013-05-14 12:00

If anybody has experienced this or may know what the problem is I would appreciate any help.

Many thanks,

Noel.

V1.08.05 wotked fine for me but few reported some minor issues.
Downgrade to v1.08.03, this is official most stable one.

Cheers both for your prompt replies.

I was wondering if it was due to the charge as the camera has only been powered for a maximum of 40 minutes since I got. I don't get a green charging icon in the middle of the screen though, just the record symbol is green. It may benefit from a decent length of time plugged in first??

If this fails I'll look into downgrading once I've read up on how to do it.

Thanks again

Cheers both for your prompt replies.

I was wondering if it was due to the charge as the camera has only been powered for a maximum of 40 minutes since I got. I don't get a green charging icon in the middle of the screen though, just the record symbol is green. It may benefit from a decent length of time plugged in first??

If this fails I'll look into downgrading once I've read up on how to do it.

Thanks again

Panorama dont have battery, it has capacitors, so lenght of "charging" does not affect. I think for you v1.08.05 has "bug" what causes problem. Try v1.08.03 and when reinstalling firmware follow my youtube video step by step for correct firmware install.

Cheers niko, thanks for the advice.

I've just read the instructions, it seems a fairly straight forward process. Hope it fixes the issue as I have another one on order.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I flashed the firmware back to v1.08.03 this morning and the start-up problem is now worse. Before I was only getting one restart (one zero byte file).

After my journey to work this morning this is what I have on the sdcard.

15/11/2013 07:22 0 KB
15/11/2013 07:25 130,254 KB (camera went from red recording to green - file plays okay but is 1m 29s in length. 31 seconds short)
15/11/2013 07:25 0 KB
15/11/2013 07:27 174,267 KB (won't play)
15/11/2013 07:28 0 KB
15/11/2013 07:30 174,259 KB (all files from here on are fine)
15/11/2013 07:32 174,105 KB ( "" )

I shall see if I can find another sdcard to test on my drive home but I can't see it being an sdcard issue as I'd expect to see more intermittent issues with other files.

I really had high hopes for this dash-cam after so many previous disappointments but it looks like I'm disappointed again.

I shall contact the re-seller to see what they suggest.

Thanks again,

Noel

What type / brand SD card do you use? How old it is ?
You mentioned having other dashcams in the past. I assume you using previously used memory cards? They also have their own lifespan. Or you using memory card from shpkorea?

Hi,

I'm using a previously used Sandisk Class 10 micro-sd card. I have a full size card on order to eliminate it being an adapter issue or a worn out card as I have experienced card issues before. The Sandisk card is only a few months old and newly formatted in the Panorama.

The new card will be 32gb Sandisk Class 10 80mb/s so I'll give that a go when it arrives.

It does seem odd that it only affects the start-up of the camera. The camera is left in the car overnight so the camera will be at it's coldest so maybe it needs to warm up as once it gets going it's fine.

Cheers,

Noel

Hi,

I'm using a previously used Sandisk Class 10 micro-sd card. I have a full size card on order to eliminate it being an adapter issue or a worn out card as I have experienced card issues before. The Sandisk card is only a few months old and newly formatted in the Panorama.

The new card will be 32gb Sandisk Class 10 80mb/s so I'll give that a go when it arrives.

It does seem odd that it only affects the start-up of the camera. The camera is left in the car overnight so the camera will be at it's coldest so maybe it needs to warm up as once it gets going it's fine.

Cheers,

Noel

Class and speed is not that important on those type dashcam as long as its Class4 and above. Quality of flash card plays also role, but you never know. I had few famouse brand names ( expencive ) sd cards which in some dash cams were fussy and some time used crappy cheap ones with no issues. So some time its just test and try. The original made in Korea Samsung SD card whixh Shpkorea can sell as an extra, they never had issue.
Your theory of cooling down overnight maybe makes sence considering its now are coldet weather but I am not fully shure however you never know unless test and try.
Take Pano2 overnight at home and next day check if same issue taking it from home to car.
Also you can try short tes: switch ignition on ( acc ) for few sec until pano2 starts recording ( this might gives boost to dashcam capacitor ) then off idnition, after few sec start the car, let record few files, check files and see what result so you can make conclusions.

I've just been on a short trip, 5 mins to the shop and back and the camera had several restarts on the way. On the drive back the camera performed fine (although only a 5 minute journey so not a great test) but the camera was warm.

I've now unplugged it and brought it into the office for the afternoon where it will be warm before the drive home. I'm thinking this maybe the issue as the day it as delivered it was sitting in the office all day and I didn't have any problems driving home. The first issue was the next morning after it sitting in the car all night.

Cheers,

Noel

Good news!!

After reverting the firmware back to 1.08.05 and changing the memory all card seems to be well.

Cheers everyone :)

Good news!!

After reverting the firmware back to 1.08.05 and changing the memory all card seems to be well.

Cheers everyone :)

Glad to hear you sorted out.
Please confirm that your firmware now is v1.08.05 or v1.08.03 ?
Also, what exact memory brand name, class, size you bought?

Hi,

I'm now on firmware v1.08.05 and I'm currently using a Kingston 16gb class 4 micro-sd card, it's the only one I had handy to test. The card I was using was a Sandisk 32gb Class 10.

I might buy a 32gb Samsung card.

Cheers,

Noel

Hi,

I'm now on firmware v1.08.05 and I'm currently using a Kingston 16gb class 4 micro-sd card, it's the only one I had handy to test. The card I was using was a Sandisk 32gb Class 10.

I might buy a 32gb Samsung card.

Cheers,

Noel

Samsung is what many Korean dash cam sellers sell and ir work great. Of course there are many other good brands out there as well. Some time its just a luck and test'n'try on which one works best.

I would suggest also formatting the card in the camera with the in-built option. I use this SDCARD for my Panorama II and it's the best I've ever used with heat resistance, reliability and speed.

Environment:
  • 2.7 ~ 3.6V
  • -40°C to -85°C
  • -25°C to -85°C
  • 40°C, 93%, 500hours (storage)
  • 10000 mating cycles

Here is the link from Samsung: [url]http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/memory-cards-hdd-odd/memory-cards-accessories/sdhc-pro/MB-SGBGB/EU-spec[/URL]

SDCARD%202.jpg

Samsung SD card is what 9 of of 10 Korean dash camera manufacturers / vendors recommend to use. Maybe because its a local brand and they support it ? Even they can be more expencive than other brands, but experience shows that Samsung memory cards has been very reliable.
Better pay a little bit more and buy good quality memory card, at least user has kess risk of important videos not recorded when it needed. With cheaper brands you have higher risk of memory card failure.

I already have 2 Samsung SD Plus cards on order, I didn't see the Pro ones but I think the ones I have ordered should be okay.

I have since tried a 16GB Class 10 Sandisk SD card (not microsd) and it also worked fine.

I'm extremely pleased with the quality of the camera - especially at night time.

I already have 2 Samsung SD Plus cards on order, I didn't see the Pro ones but I think the ones I have ordered should be okay.

I have since tried a 16GB Class 10 Sandisk SD card (not microsd) and it also worked fine.

I'm extremely pleased with the quality of the camera - especially at night time.

Not sure what the difference is with pro version, but I'm sure what you have ordered will be more than ample. Samsung are my favourite sdcard brand and I use them in my front and rear facing dashcams.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P II / S 2
C II / S 1
D II / S 4
D II / S 19
L II / S 2
Back