Panorama IIS GPS logger Fix!

hometechnc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, Panorama II/S, FineVu CR-500HD
The GPS module on my 4-month old Panorama IIS failed completely as of yesterday. It was a slooow death, very sad actually. Each day for the past 3-4 weeks, it would take longer, and longer to lock onto satellite signal.

So, not wanting to loose my Cop-busting MoJo, I yanked out the p.o.s. Panorama, and re-installed my p.o.s. FineVu CR-500HD that records at a miserable bitrate 0f 10mbps.

In the meantime, I had read a couple of posts by folks that desperate like me, opened up the GPS module and extracted the battery. Since this thing was destined for the garbage receptacle, I like the others, pried open the module, turned over the little circuit-board do-thingy, and there it was? This tiny, little excuse of a battery! Not sure what purpose it serves... other than to raise the blood pressure of those who pursue the common good and just want our stuff to work!

I GRABBED it with two fingers... then pulled it up on the loose end; twisted it once... then twice, and pulled!
Out it came - just like a child's loose tooth.

Carried this p.o.s. device with me on my afternoon trip to Rocky Mount and back. Found some shade under a tree, unplugged all my other 12v stuff; laid the GPS module on the dash, facing up... plugged the unit in...
waited 5, 10, 15, then 30 seconds and BAM! A little green antenna! I had locked on in 30 seconds! It worked!
...then drove around for ten minutes, checked video on the desktop... YES!

These other guys were right! And again... I'm not an engineer and have no idea what the battery is for. But I do know that without the battery, it now works again. (the video is still subpar, but it works).

Last edited:
well done, & thanks for reminding me of the solution. Just in case I need it

lol
I was in a rush to fix mine and yanked the battery out, without leaving anything to solder a replacement onto on the circuit board. If anyone else tries this can they just try disconnecting the battery gently? I'm curious to see if replacing the battery with a new battery fixes the issue, because by simply removing the battery gps lock takes a minute longer...

From what I understand the battery is there so that the GPS remembers where it was when it was turned off by the dash cam. By knowing where it was and where the satellites should be it locks quicker once it resumes operation.

lol
I was in a rush to fix mine and yanked the battery out, without leaving anything to solder a replacement onto on the circuit board. If anyone else tries this can they just try disconnecting the battery gently? I'm curious to see if replacing the battery with a new battery fixes the issue, because by simply removing the battery gps lock takes a minute longer...

From what I understand the battery is there so that the GPS remembers where it was when it was turned off by the dash cam. By knowing where it was and where the satellites should be it locks quicker once it resumes operation.

Yes, I think having a working battery will be beneficial. I ordered a new GPS logger from Pier28 since they said that they will stand behind the product sold here in the U.S. Although, I have not really put the battery-less unit to test for any length of time.

does anyone have more info on the battery. Ie make & model etc. Just in case they need replacing out of warranty?

Back