Panorama S (Matte Black) Review

AMOO

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a quick review of the PowerUCC Panorama S (Matte Black Edition)

First thing is first. I am relatively new to Dash Cams and was using an “action cam” as my ‘dashcam’ before this (Also had a very short fake G1W tenure). Regardless, I have long reviewed and worked with other car electronics, so I figured I’d do a write up here.

I’m going to be skipping pictures and all videos in this (I may add them later if requested) simply because there are so many out there to look at already. I used a 16GB 40 mb/s SD card from SanDisk, and thus far it has worked well. Formatted it first on the computer, then the camera, before use.

Buying it/Retailer: I bought mine from RoadCam on Amazon (a well known user on the forums). The price was ~$185, plus shipping (~$5.00). It was the “base package” so it included: Power Cable, USB Cable, Camera, Hard Mount, Suction Cup Mount, and user manual. Ordered it on a Sunday night and it came in on a Wednesday morning via 2nd-Day priority. Shipping was prompt, everything stated was included, and packaging was solid. Good seller thus far.

First Impressions: The camera itself is much smaller, and lighter, than it seems in nearly every video and picture. It really is quite a nice surprise, as smaller, and lighter are beneficial for dashcams. Buttons seemed sturdy, and initial click for SD card was solid. The only negative first impression I had was the camera lense was not protected by anything, no cover, or even a film (like the rear screen). I’ve never, ever, gotten any camera that didn’t have this. Furthermore there was a little smudge/residue on the lense. Not a big deal, but I’m shocked a $.01 film isn’t even used on the lense when packaged.

Manual/Settings: The manual is not very helpful at all, but most of the menus are self-explanatory, and the forums are a better place for detailed information anyways. Wasn’t too hard to get the settings to what I wanted.

Installation: Straightforward, though a bit tricky due to the camera’s static mounts (no ball joint). Once you get everything angled correctly, it’s standard fair. I used the suction cup mount, and so far it seems very steady. This could change over time depending on the quality of the mount, for now it seems solid. Beyond that: Pop in SD card, run wiring, set-up settings, business as usual. I chose the Matte Black because it is discreet, and it really is (discreet) in my car. The writing and insignia on the front, however, could be removed. I’m going to follow the forums suggestions and do a little DIY project to eliminate the writing on the front of the unit.

Video/Audio Quality: The most important part of the camera for individuals deciding to buy it. Video was what I had expected (my unit came running with 12mb/s firmware). Fairly clear and crisp throughout most conditions, I think I might update the firmware to see if I can boost this ever so slightly using 15mb/s firmware. Overall though, it’s good quality, and can certainly help capture offending cars via license plate and/or description. The audio quality is what surprised me the most about this camera. In most videos on this camera, it is simply terrible. This made me a little hesitant to buy, as audio capturing is especially important to me. Much to my surprise, this unit does what I describe an “adequate” job of audio-capture. Not great by any means, but not as bad as many videos seem to show. It was on my files IIRC: Mono @ 128kbps. Boosting this with your preferred media player, you can hear most everything going on in the car if needed.

Parking Mode: I have not used this mode yet, so I cannot report on its effectiveness. With that said, the aforementioned video and audio quality suggest that it will be an exceptional unit for parking protection.

G-sensor: I set my sensor to “low” (being what many reviews recommended) and as far as I can tell it has only ever gone off one time, to a rather sizeable pothole. I may actually boost this setting back up to medium, just to see how it reacts there.

Manual-Lock (Event): This feature works well, but could go for two big improvements: 1) Lock on the first press. My unit has the screen turn-off after 30 seconds. When I want to manually save an event, I need to press the button to wake-up the unit, then again to save the event. This should be changed. 2) The noise it makes is horrible and replays terribly when watching the clip back on your computer. It would be nice if we could select from 3 different tones, or add our own.

There are a few more small things that I will cover below in summation:

(Ratings based on 1-10 scale, 10 being the best)

Price-to-Performance: 8.5 (Good unit for its price, sweet-spot would be $150 IMO)

Video Quality: 8.5 (Will likely go up with firmware update)

Audio Quality: 6 (Adequate for most events)

Options: 9 (It has most options available as add-ons expected in a dashcam: GPS etc)

Form Factor: 8.0 (Deductions for writing on front + bright lights in back at night)

Mounts: 9.0 (A ball mount would be nice, but these are much more stable once set)

PROS:

-Good video quality in most situations

-Solid mount

-Small form factor (much smaller than it seems online)

-Numerous options/attachments: GPS, Polarizing Filter, Hardwire etc

-Good support by manufacturer and community (firmware etc)

-Reasonable price (Though $150 would the perfect price point for this unit)

CONS:

-Audio quality could certainly be improved

-More recording time after power is cut (for evidentiary reasons)

-Slightly longer power cord would be nice

-Writing on front, bright lights in back somewhat defeats purpose of Matte Black unit

Overall, after a short period of ownership, I would highly recommend the unit (and seller). I plan on doing a longer-term review if feasible. This would mainly focus on reliability in the harsh weather (summer temps of 90F outside, winters at -20F outside).

Hi Thanks for posting the nice detailed review. (very honest)

Sorry about the smudge on the lens, We triple quality check every Panorama we sell and use a special lens cloth that smudge must have missed during the final QA check.
We are working with the factory on improving the packaging in general. The new G has much better packaging actually.
FYI: The original Panorama II (v1) had a small plastic lens cap over but that is no longer included on the S & G.
(new housing shape with metal ring for optional Magnetic CPL)

For that over looked smudge, we would be happy to send you a free Ball Socket 360 Degree Combo 3M/Suction Cup mount.
http://roadcam.ecrater.com/p/20173355/roadcam-rcpano2s360-suction-cup-3m
Please send me a PM with your name, order number or address and it's on the way!
~RoadCam

protective plastic on the lens is a double edged sword, you'd be gobsmacked how many people don't notice it and complain that the quality wasn't what they expected, all good once they peel it off but that's usually after they've contacted you and gone through the whole buyers remorse process thinking they have a dud product

protective plastic on the lens is a double edged sword, you'd be gobsmacked how many people don't notice it and complain that the quality wasn't what they expected, all good once they peel it off but that's usually after they've contacted you and gone through the whole buyers remorse process thinking they have a dud product

I think I mentioned this idea once before somewhere here in a discussion on this subject. If the protective plastic on the lenses was provided in a tinted color or perhaps even a solid color it would avoid the sort of problems you are describing.

needs a pull tab with an obvious bright colour, problem is it's the lens suppliers that do the plastic cover and they haven't woken up to the need yet

Adding my review for this camera. I bought two last month from RoadCam and are running them front and rear.
This is my third camera setup, the first being a tiny amberella plugged into the cigarette lighter and the second a hard wired 2 channel Blacksys CF-100. My quick progression through different cameras was to get good quality video and to be able to read license plates.

RoadCam is a great vendor.

Here are my impressions.

PROS:
- Weight and size are good. It was a little struggle to go from a tiny rear camera to the Panorama but I wanted identical rear quality to the front and I am willing to live with the bigger profile to get it.
- Ease of setup and use. Without looking at the manual, they were simple enough to set up.
- Full size SD card! I know that is a personal preference but I prefer these over the micro cards w/adapter.
- Quality of video.
- I also like the mount. It is nice and solid. I did buy a ball mount as well but wound up not using it. I don't care for them as they get loose quickly when temperatures fluctuate.
- Incident sensitivity is good. It takes a real good set of bumps to make it go off. Much better than my old camera which would constantly beep at me and write to the memory all the time despite being on the least sensitive setting.

CONS:
- Looks just like a camera. Not very stealthy but that can come in handy for backing off tailgaters.
- Touchscreen is a little tricky and can be non-responsive unless you hit it just right.
- Colors are a bit off, especially reds. Not a big deal as the clearness and sharpness are worth it.
- Video gets a bit bleary when turning. I think it is due to the fish eye lens but watching slow turns, like in a parking lot, can make one a little queasy :)

Experiences:
- Motion detection for parking. The motion detection is almost too sensitive. not complaining but the slightest movement even a football field away will trigger a write. I leave my cameras on all day and have been sampling the recorded files to see what triggers them. A distant tree waving in the breeze will do it. A car two blocks away will do it. Again, not a big deal and better this way than the other way around. I set up my old Amberella on motion detect in the basement to try to catch which cat was pooing just in front of the litter box and that camera is not sensitive enough to be triggered by a cat sized object.
- The cameras have been very reliable and I am now comfortable that I am covered in case something happens out on the road.

I am happy to answer any questions that anyone has about the Panorama S.

Back