Panorama vs Mini | Recommendation?

shael

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

First-time poster, long-time lurker. My budget is $150, Max.

Looking for an HD camera (good day/night visibility), with GPS, suction-mount, that I'll hard-wire. Parking Mode is a nice-to-have. A slimmer profile is ideal because I have an LED light behind my rear-view mirror, so trying to keep the center of the dash somewhat free.

Realize there are several Panorama and Mini models, and those are at the top of my list.

Appreciate your recommendation on which unit and what place you feel is best to buy it from.

Thanks!

I think, if you are set on those two, the Panorama is a much better camera by far. The Minis have had a lot of issues, there hasn't been one reliable, flawless camera in the series yet. Hopefully the mini 0806 will be, yet right now it's having some issues, so as a first camera you may be better to find something more reliable.

The only problem is the lowest priced Panorama is $189. @Pier28 is the retailer here in the US and the nicest guy, so ask him any questions here or PM him.

Thanks for your feedback, GJHS! I'm open to other models as well - what would you recommend?

I'd bump up your budget a bit and Pay for the proven performance and reliability of Panorama. The pre-preferred parking mode motion detection and super capacitor heat tolerance is excellent. You get what you pay for factors into the equation here big time.

Thanks for your feedback, GJHS! I'm open to other models as well - what would you recommend?
I think you find a very large group, including me, that will tell you that for a good, basic, reliable dash cam, the Mobius can't be beat. It lacks GPS and a screen, yet is fantastic at what it does. The development team continues to improve it still today, adding a new wider angle lens and a new PCB, so it remains one the best values. You can easily swap the battery for super capacitors, there are extension lens options, Android apps to use live view/record and change setting on the go. For $68, it's money well spent and when you upgrade use it as the back window cam.

If a screen is a must, check out the new A118 capacitor model on GearBest or even better sign up for the free giveaway. They are giving away two and right now only two signed up, so odds are good. The A118 is a nice compact little camera that has been good and reliable for about $70. You can also add GPS later, by buying the module for $20 extra bucks.

While @Pier28 is a bit bias in his recommendations, he is selling one of the best cameras out there and his customer support can't be beat. The Panoramas have the best parking mode out there and some of the best night quality. He is also getting the @jokiin Street Guardian version of the capacitor A118, while more expensive, has a better firmware, warranty (2 years?), includes GPS and a 32gb card.

Hope this helps

The upcoming new Street Guardian SG9665GC will have a superior sensor, lens, and better hardware than the A118. Well worth the short wait if you want a glass hugging design.

Hi,

First-time poster, long-time lurker. My budget is $150, Max.

Looking for an HD camera (good day/night visibility), with GPS, suction-mount, that I'll hard-wire. Parking Mode is a nice-to-have. A slimmer profile is ideal because I have an LED light behind my rear-view mirror, so trying to keep the center of the dash somewhat free.

Realize there are several Panorama and Mini models, and those are at the top of my list.

Appreciate your recommendation on which unit and what place you feel is best to buy it from.

Thanks!

Mini 08xx series is for sure looks more discrete, but it lacks of suction mount and most important - no parking mode.
Only high-end dashcams with capacitors and pre-buffer recording have so called parking mode rec. option. For parking recording you need to have a dashcam which is based on capacitors, but not all capacitor based dashcams have pre-buffer recording, you have to look into specs. Most Korean high-end dahscmas which are based on supercaps, they do have pre-buffer recording, which means that when motion- or g-sensor force detection accrues, dashcam will save about 5 sec. before and 15,20-60 sec after event. Panorama 2, S, G series saves about 4-5 sec before and 50-55 sec after, Panorama X2 4-5 sec before and 15-20 sec after.
If you do not need a parking mode recording, then Mini 0806 is for sure a good dashcam, but because it uses battery, - it is high risk for areas with hot weather and do not have a parking mode recording.
Panorama 2, S, G series is slightly bigger in size compare to Mini 08xx, but it is high-end product, with more option / functions, can be left in car in hot weather and used for 24.7 parking mode recording.
So, there are a lot of things for you to consider before making a choice in which favour to go. Both dashcams are good value for money.

The Panorama seems fantastic, but $200+ for a GPS unit is probably too much for me now, especially as a new-entrant. I think I'd be ok to forego parking mode.

It doesn't seem like the A118 has GPS? Mini looks good from a feature and cost perspective, and from what I read it can be hard-wired, but seems dicey quality-wise.

So, that leaves me...nowhere? :)

You can add external GPS to B40/A118 but remember there is no pre-buffered parking mode, and the motion detection it does have doesn't work in low light. (useless)
You also can't aim it any direction but forward. You can't use large cards natively either. Also, NO suction cup mount option as well.

The Panorama seems fantastic, but $200+ for a GPS unit is probably too much for me now, especially as a new-entrant. I think I'd be ok to forego parking mode.

It doesn't seem like the A118 has GPS? Mini looks good from a feature and cost perspective, and from what I read it can be hard-wired, but seems dicey quality-wise.

So, that leaves me...nowhere? :)
They all can be hard wired. The A118 GPS module can be bought seperate @spytec .

Ask yourself which features you want or need. For me GPS and G sensors are useless. After a year with the Mobius and 6 months with the SJ, screens are unimportant to me. Motion detect is good and sure a real parking mode would be better. Good quality video, discreetness, and reliability are key. In the beginning I only thought of a front camera until I realized how much stupid stuff was missed behind my car.

Mini's in my opinion, for a first cam isn't best. Maybe the 0806 will be super after they work the bugs out. To work them out on your first may frustrate you.

Screen isn't important at all. For me, recording quality and GPS are at the top. So the unit that has those items in plenty with a <=$150 price would be perfect.

Screen isn't important at all. For me, recording quality and GPS are at the top. So the unit that has those items in plenty with a <=$150 price would be perfect.

Street Guardian SG9665G

Last edited by a moderator:
The A118 sounds like a good fit then. Do your homework, read the threads and enter that giveaway, you may win one. You only have two competitors.

I prefer a non GPS cam, I prefer not to record speed. Sounds like the A118 gives you a choice by removing the module.

You may also want to hang on to see the new Street Guardian SG9665GC if you're thinking of the A118 type design :)

I've run a Panorama G in the car since October and it's been bullet proof so far.

Last edited:
Back