Panorama X2 not working

Dempf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I have a Panorama X2 that I bought in 2015, and has been happily sitting in my car capturing video ever since. Lately the camera doesn't seem to be working:

When power is supplied, the camera boots up (I see the logo and hear the chime), and seems to operate fine for about 30 seconds. It captures video to the SD card, and I can enter menus and even format the SD card. But after about 30 seconds, consistently, the camera seems to crash, and all I see after that is the logo splash screen, frozen.

Oddly enough, the rear camera doesn't seem to work anymore despite being plugged in (I remember I used to be able to press the "F" button on the LCD screen to switch to "R").

The firmware is 1.02.05.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could go about fixing this camera? I'd rather at least attempt to fix it than buy a new one straightaway. Have the capacitors gone bad?

If there's no way to fix it, does anyone have a recommendation for a new camera? Ideally I'd love to install a similar camera that can take a rear camera input via USB, and similar power supply (I'm really lazy and don't want to re-run the wires).

Thanks!

Nine years is pretty decent product life for a dash cam. Even if you can fix it, it might not be worth the trouble. I think you would benefit from buying a new, up to date camera that will offer vastly superior performance and image quality than your now obsolete Panorama as well as many newer useful features that were not available back in the day. I would look into any of the Viofo offerings and some of them will still work with your older USB wiring. You will need to make sure that the AWG (wire thickness) on your old cable is adequate for any new camera you purchase though. The cable wire thickness from the Panorama may be too thin.

Back