PapaGo 520 - what's comparable?

boilers

Reaction score
Country
United States
$183 from B&H at the moment.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1117612&Q=&is=REG&A=details

What else is comparable? They seem to have good specs.

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS

• Captures 2K Video Resolution with Audio
  • Multiple Aspect Ratios: 4:3/16:9/21:9
  • 146° Ultra-Wide Viewing Angle
  • Built-In 3" Color LCD Screen
  • H.264/MOV Video Compression
  • MicroSD Cards from 8 to 32GB Supported
  • Built-In G-Sensor/Emergency Auto Save
  • Stop & Go Driver Fatigue Warning
  • Built-In High Dynamic Range Technology
  • 1 x Mini HDMI Output
TWIT review

Hello. I am happy to hear you are interested in the GoSafe 520. Let me know if you need any video samples or have any questions in general. :)

Well let me know what you find. Right now we only offer the suction mount for that model.

I just checked the GoSafe 520 and looks like you may have picked the right one! Keep me posted. :)

I have a Papago 520 on the way. My buddy has one and he has written his own firmware to operate it at a constant 30mps. He has other tweaks as well

So altering the CPU is not a big deal? Is it very hard to do? What changes does the GoSafe 520 need at this point to improve it? From your POV

I have a Papago 520 on the way. My buddy has one and he has written his own firmware to operate it at a constant 30mps. He has other tweaks as well
I would love to hear what other tweaks your buddy has. So the mps has to do with the amount of power the dashcam will get?

Changing the bitrate is really easy but as I've found out the hard way ramping up the bitrate sometimes isn't the best thing to do as it's diminishing returns and if you take it too high you can cause the camera to become unstable in warmer weather.

All of the hard work is done by the AFT tool, it basically opens the firmware, splits it up and extracts the files so you can amend the video bitrate, and then it packs it all back up and makes a good firmware that you can use.

It's great stuff!

The higher Mbps just means it uses more space for the video so in theory it's higher bitrate - 15-18 Mbps is about as good as you'll get 1080p video in these cameras and for the 2560x1080 modes I think they're best around 20-21Mbps.

Okay. Good to know.

I think you meant 30mbps (recording bitrate)?

Back