Papago GoSafe 272 impressions?

So I had the chance to try out my friend's GoSafe 272. I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed in the video quality. Had it set to record at 1080p. On a fairly sunny day, colors were dull and washed out and could not see much fine detail in anything. When stopped at a light, I could barely read out the license plate of the car in front of me. And for a car to the front left or front right of me, I could not make out the license plate at all. It seems the image sensor used is just not that good.

I've also looked at other video reviews of the 272 (where I believe Papago supplied the cameras to review) and see the same problems in the video quality or even worse. But I had to see it for myself to validate my initial impression. Was looking to buy 3 dashcams for the family and the 272 will definitely not be on the list to consider.

I'm disappointed that Papago delivered such a mediocre dashcam for the U.S. market that retails for $150+, especially for a company trying to establish its brand here. It seems not much better than those no-name junk $50 dashcams that Fry's Electronics carries. At the $150 price level, there are definitely dashcams that have better video quality out there. I think I will look for an Ambarella based one now. In Asian markets, Papago is seen as a good brand with reputable products so it's surprising that such a poor quality dashcam is being marketed in the U.S (I don't know if the 272 was also available in Asia or is a U.S. only model).

One more update:
Tried the dashcam at night. As expected, video quality is even worse. At stop lights, cannot make out the license place of a car in front me at all as everything is just too blurry and unfocused. Shapes are not well defined and the tail lights of cars ahead of me or stop lights are just a fuzzy blob of lights.

Another thing I just noticed after reviewing the dashcam videos is that the camera definitely suffers from the lack of a CPL filter. The reflections from the dashboard are very visible in the windshield and this is very distracting in the recorded video. I feel a CPL filter should be included with the dashcam, especially on the higher end models.

Last edited:
I see in the description for the G0Safe 118 (http://us.papagoinc.com/products/gosafe-118/), they have listed "COMPACT AND DISCREET" as one of the features. Looks like they are learning and getting more familiar with what people want in the dashcam market, although it seems there is still a white Papago logo on the front side. Not sure how visible it will be until a real picture comes out.

We appreciate the input from people who are most likely to be the type of consumer to purchase our products. I spoke to management about this topic of having less conspicuous details added to the dashcams, and they are going to try to see what they can do for future products that come out. We understand that burglary is a huge issue with products in cars and puts our customers at risk when there are details that may attract break-ins.

I will keep you all updated and hopefully sooner than later we can see results.

Have a great day!
~PAPAGO!

Thanks for the instructions. Did you have any details of what is new in the GS272_US_V0101_20150203 firmware vs GS272_US_v0100?

There was never a response to this so asking the question again.

My friend wanted to unload the 272 he got as he said the video quality was simply not good compared to a G1W/G1W-C. I looked at the video comparison and tend to agree. He was willing to sell it for very low compared to what he paid so I took it off him and trying to play around with it more.

There was never a response to this so asking the question again.

My friend wanted to unload the 272 he got as he said the video quality was simply not good compared to a G1W/G1W-C. I looked at the video comparison and tend to agree. He was willing to sell it for very low compared to what he paid so I took it off him and trying to play around with it more.

Hello. I am sorry I never got back to you on this. The only change was the G-sensor. We switched G-sensor companies and had to updte the firmware for most of our products. That was it though. :)

I am sorry to hear that you do not like the video quality. I find the video from the GoSafe 272 to be one of the best we have had so far. It is my personal favorite and I edit all the video for PAPAGO! US. I guess I have never compared it to the model you mentioned so I may just be under informed.

Kind Regards,
Team PAPAGO!

Have a question on the mount used for the 272. There doesn't seem to be a way to prevent the dashcam from swiveling left and right, meaning it's very easy for it to rotate left and right from a slight push. This is becoming a problem for me when putting up or taking down a sunshade, as this process tends to knock the dashcam around and it doesn't remain centered anymore. Then I need to try to re-center the dashcam everytime, which becomes very annoying. Am I missing something regarding the mount, could the mount I have simply be defective, or is the mount really not able to prevent the dashcam from rotating sideways?

It's little usability things like this that I wish dashcam manufacturers got right.

Hello Budster,

I can see where you are coming from. There is no plan to update or change the mount. There is a screw that allows you to tighten it a bit but it does still swivel for maneuverability. I am sorry you are disappointed in the design. I suppose moving it with the sunshade is unavoidable since the dashcam lies so close to the windshield.

Kind Regards,
PAPAGO!

Hello Budster,

I can see where you are coming from. There is no plan to update or change the mount. There is a screw that allows you to tighten it a bit but it does still swivel for maneuverability. I am sorry you are disappointed in the design. I suppose moving it with the sunshade is unavoidable since the dashcam lies so close to the windshield.

Kind Regards,
PAPAGO!

if it gets hit by the sunshade then it's either in the wrong spot or just not suitable for that vehicle, not a product fault as such

if it gets hit by the sunshade then it's either in the wrong spot or just not suitable for that vehicle, not a product fault as such
Nicely put jokiin. :)

Back