Park mode settings

Of course I am willing to try a new card but first off I will be trying...
Was wrong.
The G-sensor, not the parking G-sensor, is responsible for blocking video files and sending them to the RO folder.
Viofo recommends setting it to low sensitivity.
• G-sensor: The G-sensor measures g-shock forces. The setting from 'Low’ to' High’ determines the amount of force needed to lock the file from being overwritten by loop-recording. We recommend leaving it set to 'Low’.

Was wrong.
The G-sensor, not the parking G-sensor, is responsible for blocking video files and sending them to the RO folder.

Thanks.

I know my parking G-sensor was high. I've switched it to medium.
I'm not sure what the other G-sensor is set at. I'll need to take a look.

Out of interest, what's the difference between G-Sensor & Parking G-Sensor?

If the answer to that is 'depends' then as mentioned, my camera is hardwired in to make use of the parking feature.

Out of interest, what's the difference between G-Sensor & Parking G-Sensor?
• Parking G-sensor: The G-sensor detects significant or sudden movement (such as an impact or collision), it will trigger an event recording. We suggest setting it to High sensitivity in parking mode recording.
• G-sensor: The G-sensor measures g-shock forces. The setting from 'Low’ to' High’ determines the amount of force needed to lock the file from being overwritten by loop-recording. We recommend leaving it set to 'Low’

Hmm.

Parking G-Sensor just makes it go from not recording to actual recording whereas G-sensor decides whether what is being recorded is locked or not.

So the Parking G-sensor triggers a recording if it detects an impact.

How is that any different to what I currently have? It is recording constantly. I start the car, it records in high bitrate. I turn the engine off & walk away ... it continues to record constantly, but in low bitrate. Surely whether my car receives an impact is irrelevant as it is recording constantly?

Not being difficult. Just trying to understand as that makes little sense to me.

Unless it's for people who don't have it hardwired?

Well...

I've just been out to the car & after your last couple comments I went to check...

My G-Sensor always already was set to "LOW".
My Parking G-Sensor was set to "HIGH" before my screenshots earlier today, I've since switched to medium.

So if it's G-Sensor that sends it to the RO folder then it is triggering really really ridiculously easily, yet the sensitivity is set to low. The only way I go any less is to turn it off but surely that is a bad idea anyway.

How is that any different to what I currently have? It is recording constantly. I start the car, it records in high bitrate. I turn the engine off & walk away ... it continues to record constantly, but in low bitrate. Surely whether my car receives an impact is irrelevant as it is recording constantly?
In addition to the parking mode: "Recording with a low bitrate", Viofo DVRs also have parking modes.
In some modes, the parking G-sensor is simply necessary.

In addition to the parking mode: "Recording with a low bitrate", Viofo DVRs also have parking modes.
In some modes, the parking G-sensor is simply necessary.
Yeah I saw that link a few days ago actually. I see they suggest to set the sensitivity to high.

In my opinion that is just ridiculous. Like I say, when everything was getting thrown in to the RO folder my settings were:
Parking G-Sensor: High
G-Sensor: Low

I have since changed the settings to
Parking G-Sensor: Medium
G-Sensor: Low.

I haven't had the chance to see if virtually everything continues to get thrown in the RO folder or not as I had to take my car to the garage this morning so I will see later if dropping to medium has made a difference.

Obviously I can't set the G-Sensor any lower other than turning it off.
If it is parking G-Sensor that is putting things in the RO folder then it is just absurd. There is literally no impact at all on my car. It is stationary. Nobody is touching it, nobody is kicking balls at it. It is on my drive. The only difference between what is happening on my drive and if it was say in a vacuumed room with no movement at all is that there is a bit of a breeze (but not gale force) and it has been raining (but not torrential). I really hope it's not these things that are triggering files being put in the RO folder because that is just beyond ridiculous. Imagine once I'm out on the road - every time I brake or drive over a tiny imperfection on the road it will be sending files to the RO folder because those things will trigger more impact than wind & rain.

I don't want anything at all sent to an emergency folder unless it has to be - like an ACTUAL impact. Say anything from someone trying the door handle up to actual impact. There's no point at all in saving all these emergency files when they're clearly not an emergency. They're just nothing.

I've raised a support ticket with Viofo to try and understand what's going on and get it to stop putting every insignificant detail in to an RO folder. Hopefully we can get it resolved.

As I always think it's good when someone updates with an outcome -

Good news bad news.

Bad news - they can't regas my A/C :(

Good news - looks like I've sorted the dash cam issue, although it goes against what you said as from what you said, what I did shouldn't have made a difference, but it seems to have done.

Was wrong.

I know you're only quoting Viofo directly but the change I made based on this shouldn't have made a difference.

As I said, my G-Sensor was always "LOW" and files were getting sent to the RO folder for fun.
My Parking G-Sensor was set to high, but your Viofo URL says this doesn't send files to the RO folder (so in theory it shouldn't matter what I have it set at).

Regardless, I left G-Sensor at LOW and reduced Parking G-Sensor to MEDIUM.

I've just now checked the results and there is no RO folder at all.

I see the filenames begin at 0001 and end at 0565 so I've just selected all the video files to check and it tallied - 565 files, so nothing is missing.

So while that URL says Parking G-Sensor shouldn't impact the result, it seems to have.

Either way, it appears the issue is now resolved.

Back