Parking Camera — 100% Detached?

Chathura

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I did my reading on selecting a dash-cam and ways to fit that in, I realised that there are many people who would like to,
  • Install Front & Rear camera units ("Duo" types)
  • Have Parking-mode
However, there are a few reasons which keep them from buying a duo dash-cam units with parking-mode feature and hardwiring them to the car.
  • Car Warranty related concerns
  • Insurance related concerns
  • Complications based on the Model of the car (Having to remove so may panels on a hatch-back leaving unnecessary worries afterwards). I've seen people complaining even after a professional handled the work.
  • Commitment (How long do you keep that car. Having to remove all the panels and remove the cable to the reverse camera again)
This made me wonder why there aren't self-powered, wire-free parking cameras which may be kept inside a car to observe the surrounding (disguised in a soft-toy, maybe)? —not to use as a front dash-cam while you drive; but as a parking cam which may also record the rear of the car when you drive?

Does anyone have this sort of a camera used in this manner?

If a camera are not wired in you will have to remember to charge it, you will have to remember to bring it with you, you will have to remember to use it.
Also a stand alone camera like that, well its like a NAV unit or a phone in its dock, a focus point for smash and grab thieves.
Also lithium based batteries don't do too well with high or low temperatures, and they can even be a fire hazard though most time they just swell up and don't catch fire.
Many just let the camera follow the car if they sell it, or at least the wires, you can most often tuck them out of sight over the headliner so no one will really know.

Hard wire kits tap into fuse box tool less, and can be removed with no trace in minutes, the hard wire kit itself and the wires on the other hand can take a little while to remove not least if you don't know what you are doing.
I can completely remove the SG9663DC dual camera from my car in under 15 minutes ( not hard wired ) everything but the remains of the sticky pads on the glass, that will take longer to remove.
But i also know what i am doing and my car i have installed cameras into the past 8 years.

There are cams which function this way, usually called "Nanny cams" as they're meant to keep a hidden eye on Nanny's and babysitters while you're away from home. They're hidden in various objects which are not likely to draw attention but could still be targets for theft in a car. They have 'motion detect' to activate them which may not work well, and very limited recording and 'standby' times. A possible choice for you but probably not a good one, especially without testing how well the motion detect functions. The single one I tried wouldn't activate reliably without a person crossing in front of it slowly from less than 6ft (2m) distance. Even then it sometimes missed the action.

I'm sure there are 'professional grade' cams made for this kind of use, but I know nothing of those, only that "spying" can be an expensive endeavor at that level :rolleyes:

Phil

Back