Parking Guard Mode

Martie

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi Guys,

I just received my Garmin Mini 2 and I am trying to figure out the Parking Guard Mode on my desk.
So far, it only enters Parking Guard Mode once after being powered on and not a second time anymore.
It does not mention in the manual that you need the external hardware kit, it says the camera detects that the car has been parked - I assume it uses the acceleration sensor.
I set up in the app to enter parking mode after 3 minutes the device is being parked and the duration to 8h

Once it entered the parking mode I wait a while, then I wake it up by moving it a bit, just like the car would and 'I drive around' along my desk for a while, then I set the camera down and wait for 3 minutes, but the camera never enters the park mode again...

how should it work? What am I doing wrong?
I guess I will try it in the car to see if it works in a real world enviroment...

Herzlich willkommen to the forum Martie.

Are you sure you dont bump the desk in those 3 minutes you wait for it to go back to parking mode ? i would at least try to walk away from the table if you like me is sitting at a computer table.
You could also try another shorter value, personally my parking camera ( another brand ) go strait to parking mode the moment i turn off the car, though thats also not bad as slamming the door create a G - sensor event, just have to remember to set the parking guard delay timer to a minute or so.

Personally i am using low bitrate always recording, but i do also have G-sensor on and on high setting.

Danke schön kamkar :)

Yes, I am sure to not bump the desk, even if I leave the room for a while the camera is still in normal mode...
I had it in the car now, but the cigarette lighter connection is powered only when the engine is on, so I have to delay that test.

The delay on the Mini 2 can be set to a minimum of 3 minutes - thats where I have set it, so a slamming door would not be recorded. Maybe opening ;)

I may consider order the hardware box for parking... has anyone expierince with that on the Mini 2?

Still working with mine, but having app issues. I am wanting to test the parking mode in high heat before writing a review. @lacibaci is our Garmin expert here but I don't know if he's tried the Mini2 yet.

Phil

As of this morning Parking Mode works on the desk.
All I changed was to a different memory card - it started to complain about the old one, when I used it in the car. I reformatted several times, but the complaining kept persisting, so I changed the card.

Maybe it was the card all along? I never got the message on the desk.

As for now it works as intended - on the desk ;)

I can feel the mini 2 is warm to the touch, but not hot. I am running it for hours on end...

I also have no issues with the app so far. I can connect fine, doing setup, format, download video and so on...

Memory cards, mostly when they are on the way out, are often a source for strange dashcam behavior, that and a insufficient power source.
Most cameras will get very warm at least in the car on the windscreen and recording too, i have a dji osmo action camera, when it is warm you do not want to touch that to sensitive skin areas for sure.

APP performance do seem to vary with phone to phone, and that is not even bringing the apple phones into the mix
I have a test camera from another brand where at first i was able to connect to it no problem, but suddenly after a month or two that have become impossible, even after changing formware ASO, me and the maker have tried everything we know but it just will not connect anymore.

Hi @Martie ,
I wonder what happens after the set time (8 hours) expires. Does the camera turn off completely? Or does it 'wake up' from parking guard mode and start recording coutinuously?

I would like to set the duration to the minimum (2 hours) and expect to switch off completely, so it doesn't drain the car battery (I'd rather set it to 0 hours if I could).
My camera is fed with a constant OBD2 power cable -no Garmin brand, but compatible with parking/time lapse signals through usb-pin 4-. If I activate parking guard, the camera detects the engine is off and enters this mode -after 3 minutes- as expected, confirmed by the blinking LED.
However, if I disable parking guard (expecting the camera would shut down after turning off the engine), it surprisingly keeps recording continuously (why?? if it detects this status properly when it is enabled, it doesn't make sense!)

So... after the parking mode duration expires (2 hours, 4 hours, whatever)... does it turn off completely? or does it 'wake up' again?

Last edited:
Back