Parking Mode and Loop Recording confusion

H.Johnson

Reaction score
Country
United States
A new Parking Mode feature has been released with the latest firmwares and I have just tested it in my Viofo A119S v2 dashcam (Firmware v2.1). On the other hand, when using the camera in Parking Mode (5 fps), there are missed footage due to no movement in the view of camera. As the camera starts to record after the movement and does not record a certain period of time after the movement, it is useless to use this approach. For this problem, I switched to use Loop Recording (200 ms) and seen that there is no missed footage. However, when using loop recording, the camera cannot switch to normal mode and it is impossible to switch the normal mode & loop recording mode everytime. So, none of these mode is useful and I have really been disappointed for the Parking Mode of Viofo A119S. Is there anything to do to fix the problem? I just want the camera to record continuously in the Parking mode and switch automatically to the normal mode (I just keep the camera continuous record in Parking Mode even if a movement or not). On the other hand, I think Viofo should fix the problem asap with a new firmware. Regards...

The current Parking Mode feature is designed for time lapse recording when visual motion is detected and stop recording when no scene change is detected to save space on memory card. If you prefer to record continuous footage suggest connecting external battery pack and insert large 128GB memory card to record normal mode video. For short 1-4 hour parking shouldn't be a problem but for extended 8-48 hr parking protection its doubtful 128GB memory card will retain 60fps clips without looping over. This is why A119S Parking Mode feature stops recording when no visual scene change is detected. Its true the motion detection algorithm isn't perfect and the trigger threshold to begin time lapse recording could miss minor motion events but for this $100 dashcam its very impressive and KUDOs to VIOFO for including it in the Firmware.

I have a 128GB card actually but the problem is not related to storage. I think for now the best idea is that for recording continuously:

Using Time Lapse mode for 200 ms and then switching off this mode before driving. I know it is not easily applicable but until Viofo fix this problem, I should use this approach... Any other idea?

Stand-alone Time Lapse is better then Parking Mode with holes if you want near continuous recordings, ultimate is just normal 30fps continuous recording until the battery is dead. It's just a hassle to manually enable/disable. After 1 month of doing that I'd switch to a more expensive brand dashcam that supports full range Parking Mode features.

Stand-alone Time Lapse is better then Parking Mode with holes if you want near continuous recordings, ultimate is just normal 30fps continuous recording until the battery is dead. It's just a hassle to manually enable/disable. After 1 month of doing that I'd switch to a more expensive brand dashcam that supports full range Parking Mode features.

It is really too bad for such a kind of good dashcam that does not let us switch to parking mode automatically. Which dashcam did you buy? Is it better than Viofo A119S for video quality and usage, etc?

It is really too bad for such a kind of good dashcam that does not let us switch to parking mode automatically. Which dashcam did you buy? Is it better than Viofo A119S for video quality and usage, etc?
I continue to use the A119S with refocused F1.8 coated lens and old firmware since the Parking Mode misses more than it records due to zero pre-record buffering like other dashcams support. When I want Parking protection I connect my Power Bank and leave it recording in normal driving mode at 1080p @ 30fps.

I continue to use the A119S with refocused F1.8 coated lens and old firmware since the Parking Mode misses more than it records due to zero pre-record buffering like other dashcams support. When I want Parking protection I connect my Power Bank and leave it recording in normal driving mode at 1080p @ 30fps.
Can you recommend a Power Bank for parking use? I would think the higher the capacity the better. I'm not sure yet which Mode I'll use for parking. I live in a remote urban area so I'm not concerned with recording at home. Well, unless it's to identify the cat that keeps leaving tracks on my truck at night. ;)

Do you just series it in to a switched power source like Retained Accessory Power? I would like it to pass current on startup even if it's discharged so if it shuts down at 5% or 10% that would be a bonus.

@H.Johnson sorry for hijacking your thread. Just trying to find some answers for my first dash cam.

Ted

For most of the people the Parking Mode is working. Some of them are not understanding correctly how is is working. An example about how it workds:

enjoy,
Mtz

Can you recommend a Power Bank for parking use? I would think the higher the capacity the better. I'm not sure yet which Mode I'll use for parking. I live in a remote urban area so I'm not concerned with recording at home. Well, unless it's to identify the cat that keeps leaving tracks on my truck at night. ;)

Do you just series it in to a switched power source like Retained Accessory Power? I would like it to pass current on startup even if it's discharged so if it shuts down at 5% or 10% that would be a bonus.

@H.Johnson sorry for hijacking your thread. Just trying to find some answers for my first dash cam.

Ted
If you plan on hard wiring to vehicle battery use a high quality voltage regulator kit which senses battery drain and switches off once limit is detected or use a Power Bank with enough mAh capacity for your needs. These videos will help you make a better decision. When parking vehicle over night with Parking Mode enabled and set for 15fps suggest installing a 128GB microSD card. I use Parking Mode set at 5fps with 64GB memory card.

Can you recommend a Power Bank for parking use? I would think the higher the capacity the better.

I have been using a 12,000mAh power bank for short term parking mode but this 20,000mAh is the one I am waiting for to arrive which is cheap as chips with quality phosphate cells but I guess we will see in the long run......... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172821333344

It is used by a couple of members here including @Dashmellow who has received his and has years of experience with different types of power banks so his opinion here would help us for sure.

Back