parking mode and voltage supply

Gary D

Reaction score
Country
United States
According to pier28.com, the SGZC12SG supports a "parking mode", and runs directly from 12v. The pier28.com website suggests using a "PANOBDP" when hard wiring. That PANOBDP appears to just supply a cigarette lighter female for the cam to plug into.

That implies two contacts for power. (+/-.)

So, how does the camera know when it's in parking mode and when it's in normal mode? Does it work from voltage differences (13.8 while the engine in running vs < 13v with the engine off)? How would that work on a vehicle with no alternator?

Thanks
Gary

You need constant power via battery discharge prevention device such as PANOBDP or Vico-Power Plus, and motion detection set to "ON"

its automatic after that.

3 minute response time? Are you sitting there constantly refreshing this forum waiting for people like me to post questions? heh...

Automatic or not, how does the cam know if it should switch from normal to parking mode (and vice versa)?

Most car electronics that do this one of two ways:

Either have three connections (12vACC, 12vConstant, GND) and detect the car being on via the ACC line (which doesn't seem to be how the SGZC12SG works as it only seems to have 2 power connections)

...OR they detect based on the level of the 12v line: a running car (with an alternator) will keep the 12v line at 13.8v, but it drops lower when the car isn't running. This only requires TWO connections (but also assumes that the voltage is higher when the car is running.)

To phrase the question in a less technical way: Would parking mode work automatically if the cam wasn't wired to the car's wiring, but instead had an independent 12v source?

;)

This particular model is totally based on motion detection alone and does not get influenced by specific power sources it just needs constant power

So to add to Gary's question, when the vehicle is moving the motion detector senses movement and recording continues. When the vehicle stops (whether at a red light or in a parking light) the camera will switch to "pause mode" (not recording) until the camera sees motion again.
If "Motion Detection" is switched off, the camera just continues to record constantly until power is shut off. If yes, you would not want to have camera connected to a constant 12V power source (always hot cigarette lighter) and then switch off motion detector (as it would just keep recording until battery goes dead).
Is this correct?

Last edited:
Of course you are not recommending it. I'm just talking though the way (I think) it works - please correct me where I am wrong.

** In your future manuals, I suggest you put in a section/description that explains the battery drain possibility for any car owners where the cigarette lighter (or power port) has always hot 12V.

Of course you are not recommending it. I'm just talking though the way (I think) it works - please correct me where I am wrong.

** In your future manuals, I suggest you put in a section/description that explains the battery drain possibility for any car owners where the cigarette lighter (or power port) has always hot 12V.

the manual is getting an update soon actually

on motion detect this model has a pre buffer so when motion starts it gives you a few seconds prior to whatever triggered the sensor so you don't miss stuff

Back