Parking Mode General + Permanent Live vs. Switched

atomlinson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 512GW & 512GWRC
Hi all, been lurking around this forum for the last week or so since receiving a 512GW as a gift. I've been having a play with the device to figure out what the different settings do, test-fitted the front camera in a few different places, picked up a 512GWRC to go with it and am now eagerly awaiting the delivery of my hardwire kit so I can get everything sited permanently (as well as replacement 3M adhesive pads that Nextbase are very kindly sending free of charge since I've already lost my spare :confused:).

This forum has been a great resource for filling the gaps in Nextbase's own documentation - particularly the G-sensor parking mode. My understanding is such:

General
  • There is no way to change the sensitivity of the G-sensor for the purposes of parking mode, and that the setting only applies to the auto-protection of clips when driving and recording 'normally'.
  • You can't change the parking mode defaults of 2 minute recording and that the file be protected.
  • You can't remove the logo from the video on the latest R22.5 firmware (I can live with it :p).
  • Protected files are budgeted c. 40% of the space on your SD card. Once this limit is reached protected files are overwritten FIFO in the same way as normal footage.

Switched Live
  • When ignition is on, camera will switch itself on and record 'as normal'.
  • When ignition is turned off after running, camera will continue to record until turning off automatically in accordance with the auto power off setting.
  • With parking mode on the camera will switch on automatically and record 2 mins of protected footage when the G-sensor is triggered.

Permanent Live w/ Parking Mode Off
  • Camera records constantly unless car battery drop below a certain voltage and hardwire kit cuts it off, at which point it would behave as above.

Permanent Live w/ Parking Mode On
  • Camera is constantly monitoring G-sensor and behaviour is the same whether driving or parked. If motion is detected then recording starts for at least 2 minutes. If no further motion is detected then camera stops recording. If further motion is detected (eg when driving normally) the camera continues to record until it detects a clear 2 minutes of inactivity and turns off again. Clips are not protected automatically other than in the 'normal' way (ie collision).

Rear Camera
  • The front cam resolution is capped at 1080p with the rear cam attached (and I also see there's some discussion as to whether the quality is slightly lower than it should be too, even for 1080p :cautious:).
  • After initial connection you get the choice of PIP left/right or front cam only, with the only way to change this setting being to disconnect and reconnect the rear cam to have the choice presented again.
  • Contrary to the 512GWRC box, there's no way in the latest R22.5 firmware to show only the rear cam on the display full-screen as a pseudo reversing camera.
  • With the rear cam connected the 'dual files' option changes its function from enabling/disabling the LO quality files to turning the rear camera recording on/off.

If someone with a bit more experience could confirm or refute each of the points above it would be most useful! I'm basically looking for some advice in trying to decide between a permanent and switched live connection. Since I only make a couple of small journeys a day I suspect a permanent live may keep my battery in better health, but it seems the parking mode functionality is slightly better in a switched configuration.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

To show rear cam full screen press mode.

Good work on this. For the penultimate bullet point I'll have to check. You could press mode to bring up the rear camera...does that not work on the latest firmware?

I also didn't know about the last point.

Hi @Antoeknee and @Skynet5, thank you both for your replies!

I did try the mode button, which just switched to camera mode and then playback mode as I'd expected, but it's just occurred to me that I wasn't recording at the time so will give that another shot tonight, thank you!

Another thing I hadn't considered is startup delay RE: parking mode. On a permanent live with parking mode turned on does the camera ever go to sleep in the periods it's not detecting G-sensor input or does it just stay on continuously? If it stays powered on I'm wondering if this would start a parking mode recording a bit more quickly than a switched live, where the camera has to wake up from sleep and display the Nextbase logo before recording commences.

Thanks again :)

Yeah only works when recording.

Not sure about parkingmode. Not used it yet.

Hi all,

I know no-one asked but I've been doing a bit more investigation into the specifics of the parking mode feature and though I would share them here. All this testing has been done on firmware R22.5 with video length set to 2 mins, auto power off after 10 seconds and rear cam connected. Basically all that changes is the timeout between G-sensor activation event and shutting back down. If you have a permanent live and the G-sensor triggers when parked then the camera records 2 minutes of protected footage followed by 3 minutes of regular footage (so 5 minutes total). If another G-sensor event is detected during the initial 5 minutes then the countdown is reset so 5 mins are recorded after the most recent G-sensor event. Switched live is exactly the same apart from the timings: 2 mins protected + 1 min regular for a total 3 minute timeout.

So effectively what this means is when choosing between permanent and switched live you're actually choosing whether or not to have that extra buffer 2 mins of footage recorded when the G-sensor is triggered in parked mode. Additionally, if you have a permanent live then your camera will continue to record for 5 mins whenever you finish a journey. If you have a switched live then this will follow your auto power off setting. If you keep this as default 10 seconds then unless you're out the car sharpish and don't need anything from the boot you're probably going to trigger parking mode and therefore 3 mins of footage as you exit. A longer auto power off delay will help here, but no doubt to the detriment of your battery.

More info.
I carried out 22.5 update, settings and reformatting for my rear cam with the camera inside my house.
In parking mode the camara was OFF while laying on the desk.
As soon as I touched the camera it started protected recording (red padlock in centre screen).
No time delay, but instant.

Hi @Mike J - I found the same, although I'd say the delay before recording commenced was 3-4 seconds for the Nextbase logo to come up, video preview to appear and then recording to start.

Yes the same with me, as quick logo flash the pingpong and its off and running.
For me 3-4 seconds is instant enough (y)

Oh Lord no, turning the sound off was one of the first things I did! Keep that ping pong to yourself :p

Last edited:
Hi all, been lurking around this forum for the last week or so since receiving a 512GW as a gift. I've been having a play with the device to figure out what the different settings do, test-fitted the front camera in a few different places, picked up a 512GWRC to go with it and am now eagerly awaiting the delivery of my hardwire kit so I can get everything sited permanently (as well as replacement 3M adhesive pads that Nextbase are very kindly sending free of charge since I've already lost my spare :confused:).

This forum has been a great resource for filling the gaps in Nextbase's own documentation - particularly the G-sensor parking mode. My understanding is such: Sorry, I agree - we're updating the manuals right now

General
  • There is no way to change the sensitivity of the G-sensor for the purposes of parking mode, and that the setting only applies to the auto-protection of clips when driving and recording 'normally'. Correct
  • You can't change the parking mode defaults of 2 minute recording and that the file be protected. Correct
  • You can't remove the logo from the video on the latest R22.5 firmware (I can live with it :p). Correct
  • Protected files are budgeted c. 40% of the space on your SD card. Once this limit is reached protected files are overwritten FIFO in the same way as normal footage. Correct

Switched Live
  • When ignition is on, camera will switch itself on and record 'as normal'. Correct
  • When ignition is turned off after running, camera will continue to record until turning off automatically in accordance with the auto power off setting.Correct
  • With parking mode on the camera will switch on automatically and record 2 mins of protected footage when the G-sensor is triggered.Correct

Permanent Live w/ Parking Mode Off
  • Camera records constantly unless car battery drop below a certain voltage and hardwire kit cuts it off, at which point it would behave as above. Correct

Permanent Live w/ Parking Mode On
  • Camera is constantly monitoring G-sensor and behaviour is the same whether driving or parked. If motion is detected then recording starts for at least 2 minutes. If no further motion is detected then camera stops recording. If further motion is detected (eg when driving normally) the camera continues to record until it detects a clear 2 minutes of inactivity and turns off again. Clips are not protected automatically other than in the 'normal' way (ie collision). Correct

Rear Camera
  • The front cam resolution is capped at 1080p with the rear cam attached (and I also see there's some discussion as to whether the quality is slightly lower than it should be too, even for 1080p :cautious:). Correct
  • After initial connection you get the choice of PIP left/right or front cam only, with the only way to change this setting being to disconnect and reconnect the rear cam to have the choice presented again. Correct
  • Contrary to the 512GWRC box, there's no way in the latest R22.5 firmware to show only the rear cam on the display full-screen as a pseudo reversing camera. Press Mode when recording to access full R Cam view.
  • With the rear cam connected the 'dual files' option changes its function from enabling/disabling the LO quality files to turning the rear camera recording on/off. This was a bug that is now fixed, turning dual files off should not turn off rear cam files.

If someone with a bit more experience could confirm or refute each of the points above it would be most useful! I'm basically looking for some advice in trying to decide between a permanent and switched live connection. Since I only make a couple of small journeys a day I suspect a permanent live may keep my battery in better health, but it seems the parking mode functionality is slightly better in a switched configuration.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Thank you for such a detailed summary of the important parts:D - I've added some bits in in colour.

Thank you for such a detailed summary of the important parts:D - I've added some bits in in colour.
Re heading 'Permanent Live w/ Parking Mode On' When parked and in sleep mode is there less of a current drain on the car battery? I expect the hardwire will still detect a drop in voltage and protect the car battery.

That’s right @Jacko956, sleep mode is essentially the same as the unit being off so no drain on your car's battery unless the cam itself isn't fully charged (which it will be if you're using a permanent live). There may be a tiny current draw that remains, but peanuts compared to the cam being on and recording.

Thanks for your input @NextBase Tiffany - I've now got my camera hardwired in and I'm incredibly pleased with it. Managed to squeeze the rear cam cable through the same rubber hose as my rear washer; a pain to do but well worth it for the aesthetic. Parking mode off for now while I get used to it as I'm worried about false-positives draining the battery and reducing its life but I will report back.

I would always go for a Live Switched installation.
Not because of battery drain, which can be easily measured, but because of safety (imagine what an insurance company would say to a vehicle fire caused by a Live Switched ie; Hot installation).
Hard wiring front and rear cams is not a simple procedure but using the correct/suitable tools and instructional videos helps eliminate errors.

I accidentally left my camera on parking mode after a quick test. I have 3 hours of 15 sec footage through out the night.

Are we sure it runs for 2 mins on swtiched live?

I accidentally left my camera on parking mode after a quick test. I have 3 hours of 15 sec footage through out the night.

Are we sure it runs for 2 mins on swtiched live?
3 hours of 15 sec? Did it record 15 second clips for 3 hours?

15ish second clips for roughly 3hrs.

I wonder if the battery was almost dead. And it kept powering off. I need to take a nother look at the timestamps.

Battery was drained which won't have done it any good

Back