parking mode on a power bank,

jomanjee

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
I was wondering if either the thinkware f800pro or even the blackvua 750-2ch can run (in parking mode) from a normal (high capacity) USB power bank ?... I know its not recommended but for the cost it looks a better option for me...

how many hours of parking mode can they do on a 20,000 mAh power bank ?...

USB to 12V converter
Better to choose a USB dashcam like Viofo or Street Gardian.

516lj3qBa%2BL._SL1001_.jpg

USB to 12V converter
Better to choose a USB dashcam like Viofo or Street Gardian.

516lj3qBa%2BL._SL1001_.jpg

thanks, the viofo 1129 was initially my decision, and i still like it, but i was disappointed when i found it doesnt support buffered parking mode !... it seems like it wasnt meant for parking mode,

but any idea if it can support a standard 128 GB SD Card or do i need to buy a 100$ 128 card like with the blackvue and thinkware ?... maybe this will make me grab the viofo 1129 if it can support normal class10 sd card...

thank you,

thanks, the viofo 129 was initially my decision, and i still like it, but i was disappointed when i found it doesnt support buffered parking mode !... it seems like it wasnt meant for parking mode,
It does have a low bitrate parking mode which would be more suitable for your purpose than a buffered parking mode which is quite likely not to trigger and thus miss the event entirely! Low bitrate is plenty of detail as long as there is not a lot of fast moving traffic about.

With your "20,000 mAh power bank", it will give over 24 hours of recording.

Last edited:
The Goluk T-3 and Garmin 55 have buffered parking mode at lower cost than BlackVue and Thinkware but are single-channel cams. They might be an option for you to consider if you really must have buffered parking mode ;)

Personally I'm not a fan of relying on a cam to detect an event before it records to the card; that has been known to fail with every cam at times. I'd rather record continuously or use a time-lapse setting as those will not miss anything. There are some drawbacks to this but overall time-lapse recording seems to be the best method for parking protection with certainty, and I'm glad that more cams now have this feature (y)

Phil

Thanks a lot guys ur help is truly appreciated...

One thing i need to know though in Normal mode. Is the camera able to loop record and Lock a video from being overwritten in case of an accident ? Is that supported in parking mode and how reliable is it in the lowest sensitivity setting??...

Low bitrate recording seems fine but say i get hit by someone then i didnt notice it. I dont think the camera will notify me in this mode and possibly i might even delete the video !.. wish it was possible to get notifications when an event happens !...

When it comes to recording time, how do u find out how long will the camera keep recording i parking mode when using xxx mAh in power bank?..

I was thinking the cam can do much longer than just 24 bours on 20000 mah tbh !...

Finally, how to go with charging the power bank every 24 hours ?!...

Can anyone who uses this setup A1129 + USB powerbank (or possibly jump starter with power bank function) share his setup am sure a lot of good ideas how to do this Setup seamlessly and with minimum effort on the longer run...

Thanks...

Low bitrate recording seems fine but say i get hit by someone then i didnt notice it.

This is one of the drawbacks I spoke of with continuous recording- perhaps the biggest drawback really. If you make it a habit to check all around your car before the recording loops over the older files you're safe, but that can also leave you having to scan your recordings for hours to find what caused any damage. A larger card means more time between inspections but also a bigger hassle if you have problems. Too small a card might see the needed file overwritten. My home parking is secure, and by 8 hours time I've walked all around my workvan elsewhere so I find that a good balance for me. So far I haven't needed to look for a file as no damage has been done. If I do find damage I'll scan the card files at high speed in my vid player to save time.

If your "G-sensor" functions decently (which most do not) and it is turned on, then a harder impact will generate a locked file, and that will give you the time the damage happened saving you a lot of searching. But this will probably do no good for something like 'keying' the paint, and a too-sensitive g-sensor setting will fill the card with locked files in normal driving so you'd have to do card maintenance very frequently then.

Really there is no great solution for parking protection- you have to pick your poison so to speak, then bear with your choices.

Phil

so how does the A1129 compare to the: thinkware FA200 ? is it a better option ??...

and is a 20,000 mAh power bank good for 24 Hours recording only on low bitrate mode or all modes ??...

Thanks a lot,

so how does the A1129 compare to the: thinkware FA200 ? is it a better option ??...

and is a 20,000 mAh power bank good for 24 Hours recording only on low bitrate mode or all modes ??...

Thanks a lot,
20,000 mAh is good for 24 hours in any mode, unfortunately low bitrate doesn't save a lot since it is still doing 30 frames per second and putting more effort into the compression. Low frame rate might save a bit, but not a lot.

You probably charge it in your house overnight since a standard USB 2 powerbank will take 10 hours to charge, so you will need 2 and swap them over. More recent and expensive USB PD powerbanks capable of charging at 45 watts could be charged in your car if you drive for 2 hours per day.

Does the other parking modes (motion detection or time lapse) consume less power and thus longer recording time for longer paking periods (say 48 Hours+ on a 20,000+ mAh premium power bank from Anker lets say...) ??...

can anyone confirm if this is the case ??...

thanks,

Last edited:
Does the other parking modes (motion detection or time lapse) consume less power and thus longer recording time for longer paking periods (say 48 Hours+ on a 20,000+ mAh premium power bank from Anker lets say...) ??...

can anyone confirm if this is the case ??...

thanks,

Can anyone confirm this plz ??...

no idea about motion detect but expect it should use very similar to normal recording, timelapse is more power efficient by about 20%

no idea about motion detect but expect it should use very similar to normal recording, timelapse is more power efficient by about 20%

ok thanks, i thought i would see a Huge difference, but thanks anyways ;)

Back