Parking mode on the A129 Pro - is this correct?

slicendice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm interested in getting the Pro as it looks like good bang for your buck and good performance. One thing I just want to confirm is the way the parking mode operates. Am I right in thinking the following is correct (assuming the cam is hard-wired):

• parking mode can either be 1) continuous low bitrate, 2) timelapse (1 frame every n seconds) or 3) on event detection
    • event detection can be either motion detection or G-sensor
  • parking mode will automatically be activated every time the ignition is switched off
  • to disable parking mode automatically starting, the cam would have to be manually switched off (press and hold power for ~2 seconds) every time the ignition was switched off
Is that correct?

If so, does anyone know if it's possible to configure the cam so that parking mode is not automatically enabled every time the ignition is switched off? So like an option in the menu to turn parking mode activation on/off? I've had a look in the online manual but couldn't see anything that specifically mentioned this as being an option.

The reason I ask is that most of the time, I wouldn't need parking mode so wouldn't want it to activate automatically - and I know I'd end up forgetting to manually turn the cam off every time I got out the car and would end up with hours of footage of a wall or just draining the battery when it wasn't necessary. For me it would be better to have automatic activation switched off most of the time and then just to be able to turn it on as and when I needed it.

You activate or deactivate Parking Mode from camera Menu. The Parking Mode will work only when you will enable it from camera menu. If you want your camera to record as a normal dashcam, only when engine is on just disable the Parking Mode.
If you want to have a good working parking mode be sure you will buy the HK3 and 2 fuse taps.

enjoy,
Mtz

You activate or deactivate Parking Mode from camera Menu.

Great, thanks for that...that's what I couldn't see in the manual :)
(probably me just being dense :wacky:)

Is that correct?
Almost, in event detection parking mode it uses both motion detection and g-sensor, the g-sensor files should be locked and stored in the RO folder, but currently this doesn't work, and the motion detection files are stored in the normal record folder in a loop recording so that the oldest are overwritten.

If so, does anyone know if it's possible to configure the cam so that parking mode is not automatically enabled every time the ignition is switched off?
Yes, there is an off option in the menu, and if using the HK3, it will then turn off when the ignition is turned off, and restart when the ignition is turned back on. In this mode you can also override the turn off by turning it back on with the power button, I assume it then records normally, not sure...

Reactions: Mtz
Almost, in event detection parking mode it uses both motion detection and g-sensor, the g-sensor files should be locked and stored in the RO folder, but currently this doesn't work, and the motion detection files are stored in the normal record folder in a loop recording so that the oldest are overwritten.

Thanks Nigel. Presumably this would be a fix (hopefully!) in a new firmware version?

In this mode you can also override the turn off by turning it back on with the power button, I assume it then records normally, not sure...

That would be really useful if it was possible...

For sure will be a fix because Viofo is a company which have firmware engineer(s). But if this option is depending on Novatek, the first fix must come from then and then from Viofo.

enjoy,
Mtz

Just checked, and yes it comes back on and records normally, doesn't use any parking mode, not surprising since parking mode is turned off.

The g-sensor issue will be fixed, not sure when, but until then it still records any movement seen, with a 15 second pre-buffer, and a loop recording of 30% of the space available to the normal recording folder, so unless there is continuous movement all weekend, everything will get recorded and kept, just may take a bit more time to find the relevant recording if there is frequent movement than if the g-sensor had locked the file on impact.

Thanks Nigel. Presumably this would be a fix (hopefully!) in a new firmware version?

Parking mode is disabled by default IIRC. You have to manually enable it through the menu if you want parking mode.

Just checked, and yes it comes back on and records normally, doesn't use any parking mode, not surprising since parking mode is turned off.

The g-sensor issue will be fixed, not sure when, but until then it still records any movement seen, with a 15 second pre-buffer, and a loop recording of 30% of the space available to the normal recording folder, so unless there is continuous movement all weekend, everything will get recorded and kept, just may take a bit more time to find the relevant recording if there is frequent movement than if the g-sensor had locked the file on impact.

What is your preferred parking mode as it stands today?

What is your preferred parking mode as it stands today?
Low bitrate, since it misses nothing, and the g-sensor does work, and it doesn't really use much memory space since we are using large cards for the normal 4K and the low bitrate is only 4Mb/s, same as the standard A129, but which appears to give decent 4K quality.

Low bitrate, since it misses nothing, and the g-sensor does work, and it doesn't really use much memory space since we are using large cards for the normal 4K and the low bitrate is only 4Mb/s, same as the standard A129, but which appears to give decent 4K quality.

What setting do you find the g sensor to work best with in a parking lot for potential bumps?

Ok, this where I get a bit confused (not an uncommon occurrence! :) )

If low bit rate parking mode is enabled, I thought that meant the cam records constantly, just at a lower bitrate than normal? And if so, why then would the g sensor be needed? If the cam was recording anyway, why would it need to know there'd been a g sensor event?

Yes, it would record constantly. The g-sensor is needed to notify you that an event has taken place. That way you dont just drive off or reformat the sd card and find a new scratch on your car a month later with no video to see how it happened. If an event took place im assuming it will notify you the next time you turn the ignition ON, but i dont know for sure.

Yes, it would record constantly. The g-sensor is needed to notify you that an event has taken place. That way you dont just drive off or reformat the sd card and find a new scratch on your car a month later with no video to see how it happened. If an event took place im assuming it will notify you the next time you turn the ignition ON, but i dont know for sure.

Ok, thanks...that makes sense

What setting do you find the g sensor to work best with in a parking lot for potential bumps?
I leave it on the default. I'm not prepared to test it by crashing cars into my car, prefer to leave that to others, so I don't know the effectiveness of the other settings!

Actually, there is no notification, unless you are in the car at the time. Instead it places the recording from the time of the impact into the RO folder for safe keeping. You should check the RO folder before formatting your card.

I see no reason not to use HIGH, unless you start to notice a number of false-positive files in the RO folder where no actual impact occurred.

Actually, there is no notification, unless you are in the car at the time. Instead it places the recording from the time of the impact into the RO folder for safe keeping. You should check the RO folder before formatting your card.
I'm hoping this is still an option via a fw update? Wouldn't it be able to tell the car was parked because ignition has switched to off and thereby notify you if a g event took place while parked? Otherwise I have no reason to check my RO folder once the camera is set up.

Back