Parking mode only record when hit.

JackStirling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, so bought the a129 duo and want it to record when driving and if hit when parked. Currently it seems to be recording based on motion as it never stops recording even though motion detection is off. What settings achieve this? I have attached my current settings.

I have the 3 wire dash cam. It's plugged into the usb on the camera, it shows the parking mode symbol when ignition is off.

So far their support hasn't given me a straight answer.
So hopefully I'll have more luck here. Thanks

Screenshot_20210723-171208_VIOFO.jpg

I'm guessing "Parking motion detection" set to low.

The functions of many options are not clearly explained.

Never mind. I clicked on the wrong link. I don't have the A129, I have the A129 pro instead. I know nothing about the A129. Sorry.

Last edited:
Auto Event Detection works off motion and g-sensor. You cannot turn off the motion detection in parking mode, you can only change the sensitivity.

"Low Bitrate Recording" and "High-sensitivity" of G-sensor can realize what you expected.
As @CaptureYourAction explained seems like the camera does not work in the expected way, recording only when hit - which youd expect to be a pretty basic feature.
the settings you suggested are still recording parking continuously rather than only when hit, this time in a more organized folder named parking on the camera.
A few times the camera has picked up impact (when a door has been slammed) and putting it in the locked RO folder which is good. however, some have been locked with a length of 30 minutes even though its been set to 1 minute.

Is there really not a way only to record when the car is suddenly hit using the g sensor when parked. I assumed this would be included on all cameras with parking mode otherwise its quite a big software design flaw. correct me if im wrong
Thanks.

Auto Event Detection works off motion and g-sensor. You cannot turn off the motion detection in parking mode, you can only change the sensitivity.
Please try setting the menu as CaptureYourAction suggested.

Choose Auto Event Detection in Parking Mode, set Parking G-sensor to High sensitivity, and Parking Motion Detection to Low.

In this way, the dash camera will record easily when being hit, and not records with low parking motion detection in the most time.

some have been locked with a length of 30 minutes even though its been set to 1 minute.
Please check if Parking Mode is set to Time Lapse. Only Time Lapse videos have such a long length.

Please try setting the menu as CaptureYourAction suggested.

Choose Auto Event Detection in Parking Mode, set Parking G-sensor to High sensitivity, and Parking Motion Detection to Low.

In this way, the dash camera will record easily when being hit, and not records with low parking motion detection in the most time.

Please check if Parking Mode is set to Time Lapse. Only Time Lapse videos have such a long length.

As shown in the screenshot above that is what i already had causing the problem. Is there no way to stop motion detection completely and keep the gsensor.
i can confirm that it was recording long videos in low bitrate mode, not timelapse

As shown in the screenshot above that is what i already had causing the problem. Is there no way to stop motion detection completely and keep the gsensor.
i can confirm that it was recording long videos in low bitrate mode, not timelapse
The parking mode needs to be turned off to stop parking motion detection. But if set parking mode off, the dashcam will be off as well when you park the car. Then G-sensor cannot be used. Thus I suggest you try the above setting.
The engineer said it's normal for the dashcams to have 30-minute video clips when set to low bitrate recording in parking mode. That's aimed to reduce file storage.

The parking mode needs to be turned off to stop parking motion detection. But if set parking mode off, the dashcam will be off as well when you park the car. Then G-sensor cannot be used. Thus I suggest you try the above setting.

The engineer said it's normal for the dashcams to have 30-minute video clips when set to low bitrate recording in parking mode. That's aimed to reduce file storage.
so basically its not possible, is there any feature requests out for this as it is a standard option which really should be here, I'm not asking for much - just to be able to turn off one setting without turning off another.
thanks

Motion Detection isn't a reliable means of capturing. Always use Low Bitrate Recording. It's real time recording in lesser quality. Sufficient for being parked and low motion scenarios (backed into, someone damages your car, etc).

1. Set Bitrate to High (regular recording).
2. Parking Mode (Turn Off Auto Event Detection) and Choose Low Bitrate Recording
3. Frequency 60 hz

I presume you're using the hardwire kit or a battery pack?

Motion Detection isn't a reliable means of capturing. Always use Low Bitrate Recording. It's real time recording in lesser quality. Sufficient for being parked and low motion scenarios (backed into, someone damages your car, etc).

1. Set Bitrate to High (regular recording).
2. Parking Mode (Turn Off Auto Event Detection) and Choose Low Bitrate Recording
3. Frequency 60 hz

I presume you're using the hardwire kit or a battery pack?
thats exactly why i want to turn it off and leave the g sensor on, to detect hits so my sd card isnt constantly overwriting. using the recommended hardwire kit for it

thats exactly why i want to turn it off and leave the g sensor on, to detect hits so my sd card isnt constantly overwriting. using the recommended hardwire kit for it

Low Bitrate will not consume large amounts of space. On a 256GB Sd Card with parking mode and regular recording, I get several days on my A129 Duo 1080P. You absolutely want to use low bitrate and not motion detection. Between not being the most reliable and hoping buffer mode captures a few seconds before an incident, it's a huge gamble. Absolute assurance can only be had by real time recording.

G-sensor doesn't work in Parking Mode in Viofo cameras

G-sensor doesn't work in Parking Mode in Viofo cameras

Not true. Set it to high Sensitivity and it'll drive you nuts. Anything above High obviously takes more force before triggering an event.

A129. G-sensor works fine in continuous parking but becomes completely inoperable in parking mode.
Same issue exists on my buddy's A129 Pro.

What you said makes no sense. Please clarify.

1. This is the A129 Duo thread. Not A129 Pro. Different models
2. When you say G-Sensor Works in Continuous Recording - Do you Mean Low Bitrate Recording in Parking Mode?

What do you mean it becomes completely inoperable in parking mode? - Time Lapse? FPS?

It's always recommended to use low bitrate recording. Time Lapse and motion detection are not that great.

What you said makes no sense. Please clarify.

1. This is the A129 Duo thread. Not A129 Pro. Different models
2. When you say G-Sensor Works in Continuous Recording - Do you Mean Low Bitrate Recording in Parking Mode?

What do you mean it becomes completely inoperable in parking mode? - Time Lapse? FPS?

It's always recommended to use low bitrate recording. Time Lapse and motion detection are not that great.

By continuous recording I mean regular recording, not parking. I can't speak for low bitrate recording in parking mode as I haven't used it. On my A129, impact detection (G-sensor triggered) does NOT work when "Auto event detection" is selected as parking mode.

Does parking G-sensor actually work in low-bitrate parking mode?

By continuous recording I mean regular recording, not parking. I can't speak for low bitrate recording in parking mode as I haven't used it. On my A129, impact detection (G-sensor triggered) does NOT work when "Auto event detection" is selected as parking mode.

Does parking G-sensor actually work in low-bitrate parking mode?

Set your A129 to Low Bitrate Parking Mode (if hardwired). Set the sensitivity to High. You'll notice it works.

Back