Parking Mode - Options

BTBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 522GW
I now have the unit hard wired in using the Garmin Parking Cable kit, and sure enough its now giving me more options in the menu screen with regards to when it goes into parking mode. From what I think I've read on here, I think that I right in saying that there didn't used to be a choice with the parking mode setting, it was all or nothing?

But now there are three options in the menu screen, "motion" or "impact" or a combination of both.

I'm guessing that when "motion" is selected it will detect anyone that walks past the front of the camera within the range of the angle of the lens? Then selecting "impact" I guess would suggest that something or someone will have to physically rock the vehicle to trigger it to record?

I ask because I always reverse my car on the drive and as there is a reasonable amount of dog walkers en route to empty their dogs in the local park that will pass my car twice in 1/2 hour or so, so it wouldn't take long to fill my SD card up. So Im thinking about just having the "impact" option selected? But I need to do a few tests to gauge exactly what weight/strength of impact will trigger it to start recording I guess?

Motion detect, at least traditionally in dashcams have been any motion, from a leaf blowing in the wind, to a cat on a fence on the other side of the road.
So that's why motion detect are often advised against using.

You can always experiment with the camera, turn on motion, and "sneak up on the car from a far so you can judge how close you can get before it trigger, maybe stand off to the side out of view, and throw little things across in front of the car to see if those trigger a recording.
Same with the G sensor, kick a wheel ( with the sole of your foot ) - give the car a push to varying degree, just push in a strong place not on the middle of the door, cars these days are made of dreams and tin foil it seem.

Most times you can look in the window and see when the camera have entered parking mode, so you are ready to start your test.

way back in the day i tested my Lukas LK-7500 motion detect.

Interestingly, but I set mine to record both motion and impact last night after I had parked on the drive, but I only set the duration to four hours. I don't want to set the parking record mode to be on continuous as my car can be parked on the drive for a number of days before its used again. So just playing around with the parking mode setting to see what the unit records. Plus, I really want to get the voltage setting increased in the Garmin Parking Cable box from the default 11.7v to 12.3v, but when Halfords fitted it they buried the Garmin box under the dash somewhere and I cannot get at it!

But this morning I was expecting to see a SD card with a load of recorded videos on it, but no, nothing at all? Which I think is good news isnt it?? To be honest its just to cold and wet to mess about outside kicking tyres and rocking the car to test what triggers the sensors at the moment. ;)

I am not sure how the combination of the 2 ways work, i would assume motion arm the camera / start buffering, but then if there are no subsequent G - sensor event, nothing is recorded.
which are not a bad way of doing things IMO

It is nice the Garmin also have a build in timer, i would want to use something like that too, probably just set to 1 hour as that cover all shopping of mine, and elsewhere i rarely park or need parking guard.
At home i have CCTV on the parked car.

It is pretty normal to bundle wires ASO up close to the fuse box you are tapped into, a cut off voltage of 11.7 are very low, i would not go under 12.2 myself, but at least you have the timer going, so it should not get anywhere near 11.7 volts.

If you change to motion alone i am sure you will have a lot of recordings.

Just a thought, but you can set the event detection to low, medium or high, I'm assuming that is completely independent of the parking function?

And as a side question to that, would I be correct in assuming that setting it at "high" means that it requires less force to trigger an automatic record?

Yes i think that is the G-sensor values for while driving, personally i would set it to off or at least low. ( if you want to use this it might take a little experimentation, though to me it seem like the norm is that these are too sensitive so no risks of setting a too low sensitivity )
If i was to use it / want it to work it would only be for like very serious G forces of a major crash, anything less and i am fine pressing the event button, like i do now when i see some idiot in traffic i want to share on youtube.
All my cameras i have G-sensor to off ( while driving ) and i dont yet use parking guard so nothing here

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Dash Cam 56 7
ivantwilliams Dash Cam 56 3
Back